Which Eprom programmer for Jamma and Neo Related Stuff

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
I have never been involved in EPROM burning and things of the sort (although my brother has) and I would like to purchase an EPROM burner mostly to fix some old Jamma PCB's I have which have various issues.

After doing a google search I realised that the best one's cost thousands of dollars therefore they are a non-go.

I am thinking of buying this one. Its a Willem USB one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/True-USB-Will..._BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET

And the adapter for the 16bit chips

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/16-bit-EPROM-...0-27C1024-/310241767263?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

Does anyone have any better recommendations?

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Damn good question.

I would like a simple setup to enable me to burn the free versions of the UniBIOS...

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
I hear that Willems are unreliable and finicky.

That being said, I think you can get a willem 40 pin universal for ~$200. It all depends on what you want to do and what chips you want to work with.

I'm trying to find a good USB programmer that supports CFI (Common Flash Interface) for < $700.

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
Mainman it states on the website that the TOPS2049 is not recommended for 27 series chips

I've heard a lot of people say bad things for the willems but those were mainly the paraller interface version

TO give you an example here are some Jamma boards I would like to fix

Knights of The Round
Shinobi
Double Dragon
Final Fight ( I would also like to experiment with that Final Fight hack that lets you play as the bosses in the game if I found the romset)

And to burn a unibios like El Capitan stated ;)

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Mainman it states on the website that the TOPS2049 is not recommended for 27 series chips

I've heard a lot of people say bad things for the willems but those were mainly the paraller interface version

TO give you an example here are some Jamma boards I would like to fix

Knights of The Round
Shinobi
Double Dragon
Final Fight ( I would also like to experiment with that Final Fight hack that lets you play as the bosses in the game if I found the romset)

And to burn a unibios like El Capitan stated ;)

Thats why I mentioned a minor script update, after which it will burn the 27c series with the only exception being the 27c4002. I have a tops2049, its what I use when I am mobile and it will burn the needed roms for those games and unibios.

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
Thats exactly the one i have posted! And that particular adapter! Nice!! Glad it works under Vista which i have installed

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Odd...

27C4002 uses the same algorithm as some of the 27C4096 chips (depending on the manufacturer) so it's odd that it won't program on it...

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Odd...

27C4002 uses the same algorithm as some of the 27C4096 chips (depending on the manufacturer) so it's odd that it won't program on it...

sure is

On another note since I got your attention and it hard getting a pm back from you, neo member Supergunner has informed me I can have some broke konami boards of his that are in your possession.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I have a Top2049 and the only chip I have a hard time programming is the newer ST27C1024, weirdly though on the older chips were the legs go sideways then down I can program with no problems. But for 1024 I ditched ST and went with the way more reliable AMD1024-120DC and haven't had any problems since.

Mine burns 4002s fine. I also modded mine for the non-jedec chips as well with gator clips.

The Webmiester

Pvt. Picklestein,
I've actually never had any trouble using the USB Willem programmer for NES ROMs, are JAMMA ROMs different? I always figured most older JAMMA boards would use standard 27c style chips.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Thats exactly the one i have posted! And that particular adapter! Nice!! Glad it works under Vista which i have installed
I guess I could've actually followed your links. :) I saw "Willem" in the url and everyone started talking about those so I just assumed it was a different one.

You're going to want to pick up that pin header if you plan to build any Neo carts. There's one chip that uses an oddball pinout that it helps with (S1, I think).