Samurai Shodown 3 listed for Virtual Console

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
Well, SS anniversary collection had fatalities in SS3/4 and they never caught it so...

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
meh, the series went downhill after the awesome SS2

in what way did it go down hill?.that's like saying fatal fury sucked after ff special.
yeah 2 was awsome,but 4 is better then most beat em ups out there.

vgg

Quiz Detective
in what way did it go down hill?.that's like saying fatal fury sucked after ff special.
yeah 2 was awsome,but 4 is better then most beat em ups out there.

2 took everything that the first Capcom threatning masterpiece exceled at and expanded it with magnificient backgrounds and perfect new characters, along with a boss that is only second to Geese. but SNK caught the Cap virus and just started churning out rushed sequels afterwards. I like the Kazama Bros. but 3 onwards don't feel like $300 worthwhile games.

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
Yeah right, by adding 70 more characters, more content, and ultimately more variety and depth to gameplay. One may as well say that series actually went downhill after the awesome SS1 because it deviated from SS1 formula by adding new characters/evasion options/super moves

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
2 took everything that the first Capcom threatning masterpiece exceled at and expanded it with magnificient backgrounds and perfect new characters, along with a boss that is only second to Geese. but SNK caught the Cap virus and just started churning out rushed sequels afterwards. I like the Kazama Bros. but 3 onwards don't feel like $300 worthwhile games.

good point,and i agree.but aldo not as polished as 2, they are still awsome games.

vgg

Quiz Detective
Yeah right, by adding 70 more characters, more content, and ultimately more variety and depth to gameplay. One may as well say that series actually went downhill after the awesome SS1 because it deviated from SS1 formula by adding new characters/evasion options/super moves

I understand your point, but being a gamer from 1988 and following releases week to week I differ a bit. I use to save up from part time jobs to buy games. and while the difference between 1& 2 warrented a purchase, any game afterwords didn't. Many characters do not a game make (Pokemon has 400+). The collision detection seemed a bit off after 2 and that is an important issue as well in fighting games.

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
But on other hand, following games fixed SS2's faults, like random damage of hits, inconsistent hitboxes, dizzies, floaty jumps, some air normals having insane prioirity (Genan), dumb option select (no throw invulnerability on wakeup, air throw inputs = input of air strong slashes), lack of unique dash normals, mandatory "invulnerable rage pose" which set you up for eating an attack afterwards, and of course lopsided balance. I understand that the sense of nostalgia is tingling, but still.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Why would anyone buy the VC version when you could get all of them on the Sam Sho Anthology?

LordG_9

Marked Wolf
Anthology is not bad at all on the Wii with the classic controller,though I do wish I had me one of those Hori's.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

We have argued about this many times on this board. SS2 is great no doubt, but III and IV are still my favorites. V special was good also.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Why would anyone buy the VC version when you could get all of them on the Sam Sho Anthology?

The Ps2 and Wii versions of anthology are good. Stay away from the psp version though. The NeoRage emu does a better job.

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member

Not to mention having unlimited credits, as opposed to 4 (why the AES games were limited to 4 continues when you spent $250 apiece on them is mind-numbingly foolish). Trying to beat SSIII with that many credits is tough, let alone for less-seasoned gamers...and the Metal Slug series? Good luck with that. The anthology releases are definitely the way to go with Neo ports.

Clessy

Banned
Wii virtual console sucks.

Why people like it when its just a shitty emulator is beyond me.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
SNKP is retarded for doing this.

Hey idiots, why not do what I say, since I'm always right?

Release this shit on PSN and XBOX 360 with good netcode.

Who the hell wants to play SNK fighters alone. ESPECIALLY on the wii?

fiolinagermi

Zero's Secretary
I bought this game for my Wii. I just bought it because I wanted to see what the emulation was like, and SS3 is one of my favorite games. I have a Super Famicom, and two other NES virtual console games hooked up to my Samsung HDTV. Never had a problem with the video or displaying lower signals. When I booted up SS3, it had rainbows for lifebars instead of the regular lifebars, and the characters had the AES rainbow effect in their arms. I know the AES can produce this rainbow effect, but this is much much worse. The rainbowing effect is so bad it ruins the game.

There is a trick to fix the video where you hold down Z, A, and 2. I tried this, and the lifebars would appear sometimes, but it would always revert back to the rainbow effect when the screen moves.

I knew something had to be wrong, so I called Nintendo to see if there was a fix. All they basically had to say was to try changing the television, but I explained to them that this was the only television option I had in the home. On reading posts online to find out whether this was a television or composite issue, none of them seemed to reflect the problem that I was having.

On top of these issues, I was a bit dissappointed that the game was fixed into USA mode, and there was also some animation cuts. The one animation cut I noticed is that when Haohmaru would go into a super move, the screen would normally turn all red. On the game, the red background was just completely removed. There is also no blood in the game, and when I would try to enter the code to turn on the blood I would get nothing. Also, the game changes resolution frequently. At the end of rounds, you can notice a significant sign of scanlines and color fade.

Overall, I feel like it was a waste of money.

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
Censored blood?
Glitchy graphics?
Animation cuts?
For a VC game?!

cornette.png

Fuck this Company

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
The flickering backgrounds are gone, no doubt, because of Nintendo's paranoia about epilepsy, ever since the infamous Pokemon incident.

They can be removed in the game proper, too, by messing with the dipswitches.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Is there any differences between the VC downloads and the Samurai Shodown Anthology that has them all?