How do the super neo 29 LCD screens work?

Hi guys,

I am trying to research the super neo 29 cabinets that have the LCD marquee up top... I REAAAALLY want to get two of them to link together and do the camera thing! But I have some questions:

1) Are the manuals online anywhere? I can read some japanese to figure out what the basic stuff is, and I know a few Japanese people to clarify the kanji I don't understand. I'd love a PDF to print out for this stuff.

2) How does the LCD screen determine what to display? From what I understand on HNG64 games, it will display the same thing as on the screen, and on some games it just acts as an electronic marquee...does it display a marquee for every MVS game? What if you have just a JAMMA game in, what does it display?

3) Anyone know the resolution on the cameras?

4) What type of control panels fit into these cabinets? IE, if I get two, I'd like to get a new control panel with just one player controls in the middle.

5) How much do they usually go for, and where could I get one? (or two!)

Check Yahoo Auctions JP... ;)

I wouldn't deal with Yahoo JP usually. 1) The sellers rarely ever sell to Americans, or Non-Japanese, 2) even if I used a third party site, I don't believe in giving my money to someone who won't sell to me directly because of where I live. :buttrock:

Any info on how the screens work?

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Hi guys,

I am trying to research the super neo 29 cabinets that have the LCD marquee up top... I REAAAALLY want to get two of them to link together and do the camera thing! But I have some questions:

1) Are the manuals online anywhere? I can read some japanese to figure out what the basic stuff is, and I know a few Japanese people to clarify the kanji I don't understand. I'd love a PDF to print out for this stuff.

2) How does the LCD screen determine what to display? From what I understand on HNG64 games, it will display the same thing as on the screen, and on some games it just acts as an electronic marquee...does it display a marquee for every MVS game? What if you have just a JAMMA game in, what does it display?

3) Anyone know the resolution on the cameras?

4) What type of control panels fit into these cabinets? IE, if I get two, I'd like to get a new control panel with just one player controls in the middle.

5) How much do they usually go for, and where could I get one? (or two!)

1) There are manuals online, but they just mention the LCD screen, really nothing else.

2) A board inside the machine controls what displays on the screen. This board has its own jamma connector which connects to the jamma board and LCD screen. You can switch between what's displayed on the screen to what's displayed on the camera. There is no mode to display electronic marquee.

3) Really bad, I mean they are good enough to display your opponent, but other than that, not really good.

4) I haven't seen a 1 player version of the Hyper Neo geo 64 cabinet, I could be wrong.

5) $500 and up, good luck finding 2. Also the LCDs tend to be very fidgety, so it's even harder to get one that's working.

hope this helps.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
4) I haven't seen a 1 player version of the Hyper Neo geo 64 cabinet, I could be wrong.

Hell, just trying to find an unmodified 2P CP seems to be a chore within itself. I don't think I've ever seen a 1P CP either.

I've been debating putting an LCD in my Hyper Neo Geo 64 cabinet. Trying to find LCD cut marquee hasn't been successful so I've held off on the project.

RGB32e

n00b
I wouldn't deal with Yahoo JP usually. 1) The sellers rarely ever sell to Americans, or Non-Japanese, 2) even if I used a third party site, I don't believe in giving my money to someone who won't sell to me directly because of where I live. :buttrock:

Any info on how the screens work?

All that I was trying to get at was to track down the manual first! ;) (take care of number 1 first ;) )

There's currently a manual for sale on YAJP... :hammer: :drool: That being only one option among many!

evbraven

New Challenger
I have 3 of these cabs, two single players with the LCD screens, and one that started life as Buriki One (no screen). I never have been able to figure out the LCD screens! I hooked a DVD player up to one once, and played a movie on it (no sound of course), but have no idea how to make it display the game or use the cameras. I have the manual that has all of the info in it, but I can't read Japanese :crying:

I converted the Buriki panel into a SF style (6 button) panel, but the buttons are on the left side of the sticks. I put it on one of the cabs with the LCD. It will get a thorough cleaning and a 1208-in-1 board installed soon.

evbraven

New Challenger
I just noticed that HardCandy has two of my cabs on there, using my personal pictures without permission. And of course their "report bad content" doesn't work.......

Fox1: Thanks a lot for the reply. Do you by chance know what brand, or type of LCD monitor it is? If they're super finicky, it would be nice to know a good replacement that works for them. Also, what type of connection does the Jamma hardware have to the LCD, is it S-video, HDMI, etc? Also, if all of the cabinets are two player versions, does that mean that each Cabinet has ONE camera, and when you link the two cabinets together, they will display the other player's face on YOUR LCD, and you will be sitting at a 2 player control panel by yourself? Meaning one of the cabinets is just connected to a jamma and camera splitter?

Evbraven: If you post some scans about the section about the LCD maybe I could help! Also, where did you manage to get two?

Are these cabs what people mean when they say HNG64 cabs, or is there another one?

Thanks for the help guys.

RGB32e

n00b
I have 3 of these cabs, two single players with the LCD screens, and one that started life as Buriki One (no screen). I never have been able to figure out the LCD screens! I hooked a DVD player up to one once, and played a movie on it (no sound of course), but have no idea how to make it display the game or use the cameras. I have the manual that has all of the info in it, but I can't read Japanese :crying:

I converted the Buriki panel into a SF style (6 button) panel, but the buttons are on the left side of the sticks. I put it on one of the cabs with the LCD. It will get a thorough cleaning and a 1208-in-1 board installed soon.

Please scan and share as appropriate... :360: :360: + :D:

:tickled:

Testocules

Fio's Quartermaster
Are these cabs what people mean when they say HNG64 cabs, or is there another one?

The Hyper 64 cabs are Super Neo 29 Type II cabs. Both the Super Neo 29 and and Super Neo 29 Type II were available with the LCD screen marquee option. I think the Type II cabs seem to have them more often.

Cool, what is the difference between the type 2 and the regular Super 29?

Also, it would be awesome if someone with the screen could dig around and find what brand it is, and also I would LOVE a measurement for the screen size, and what type of connection it uses...

Fox1

20 Year Member
Fox1: Thanks a lot for the reply. Do you by chance know what brand, or type of LCD monitor it is? If they're super finicky, it would be nice to know a good replacement that works for them. Also, what type of connection does the Jamma hardware have to the LCD, is it S-video, HDMI, etc? Also, if all of the cabinets are two player versions, does that mean that each Cabinet has ONE camera, and when you link the two cabinets together, they will display the other player's face on YOUR LCD, and you will be sitting at a 2 player control panel by yourself? Meaning one of the cabinets is just connected to a jamma and camera splitter?

Thanks for the help guys.

Well the problem isn't so much with the LCDs themselves...it's the custom boards that are inside of them ( I opened a couple of them up) and they are all SNK boards, so even if you could find a replacement..chances are it won't have the custom boards inside it. And believe me, these boards suck lol. You would need someone with the same setup.

As for the connection think of it like this:

Jamma Board--------->Jamma cable extender------_>Jamma edge on the Special LCD board---->A few different connectors that connect to the LCD display. So I guess you could say its just RGB feeding it to the LCD screen since it's just taking the signal from the Jamma line. On the special LCD board there are also 2 composite in for DVD players and whatnot I guess for advertising on the LCD screen.

Camera: Each machine has 1 camera and you need a special connector to hook them up. These hook up to the special LCD board. It would probably be facing player 1 on each of the machines, but you can adjust it. The camera itself is connected to the LCD display and in turn that's connected to the special LCD board. These cameras are toshiba cameras and can probably be found anywhere (I found a few on yahoo JP and a kind of a ghetto way to hook up the camera without using 2 cabinets) It involved buying one of those cameras on yahoo jp that had a composite out and hook it up to the special lcd board's composite in and presto, you have a camera that is facing you showing up on the LCD screen...pointless? Yes, but cool lol.

Last edited:

Testocules

Fio's Quartermaster
Cool, what is the difference between the type 2 and the regular Super 29?

Also, it would be awesome if someone with the screen could dig around and find what brand it is, and also I would LOVE a measurement for the screen size, and what type of connection it uses...

Super Neo 29 was an MVS (4 slot I think) cab, Super Neo 29 Candy was Jamma, and Type II was Hyper 64 hardware. Physically they look identical except the artwork.

Super Neo 29 - MVS
Thumbnail.jpg

Super Neo 29 Candy - Jamma
Thumbnail.jpg

Type II
Thumbnail.jpg

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member

The Japaneses are closet xenophobes, there I said it.

evbraven

New Challenger
HEre is a link to the manual:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LWXVPEOF

I do not have a scanner, so these are actually photos of the pages. I took them a looong time ago, and have no idea where I put the hard copy of the manual now. Hopefully someone can translate and transcribe in English for us!

By the way, my backplane/lcd control board does not have a connector on the back to return the JAMMA harness. It does have some weird connectors on the top edge though.

Fox1

20 Year Member
HEre is a link to the manual:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LWXVPEOF

I do not have a scanner, so these are actually photos of the pages. I took them a looong time ago, and have no idea where I put the hard copy of the manual now. Hopefully someone can translate and transcribe in English for us!

By the way, my backplane/lcd control board does not have a connector on the back to return the JAMMA harness. It does have some weird connectors on the top edge though.

Gonna borrow an image from Wolf if ya don't mind

in.jpg

See the power connector on the left side? The white one? That one connects to the power supply. Now I forget which one, but one of those connectors on the LCD panel there connects to:

lcdscreen009s.jpg

That connectors on the far left side there (the top one) You can also see the Jamma cable going into the special board. This board is what people are usually missing when they get these cabinets. I'm not talking about the board on the back of the LCD panel...no this is its own board.

The switches there choose allow you to control the source of the input (from the composite, to the jamma, to the camera), it turns it on and off, a timer to switch between certain inputs at certain times (I think it was 30 and 60 secs) and another one that set which cabinet is which when using it for the camera.

Whew I hope this explains and clears some things up for you guys. Btw if you are missing this board, good luck getting it unless you find another cabinet that has the board heh.

evbraven

New Challenger
See the power connector on the left side? The white one? That one connects to the power supply. Now I forget which one, but one of those connectors on the LCD panel there connects to:

lcdscreen009s.jpg

Yeah....that's actually MY machine in the picture there. That is the backplane board I was talking about. The grey cable coming out goes up to the LCD screen, to the connector on the right hand side.

That connectors on the far left side there (the top one) You can also see the Jamma cable going into the special board. This board is what people are usually missing when they get these cabinets. I'm not talking about the board on the back of the LCD panel...no this is its own board.

I would like to know what the other connectors are for on there. I know the have to do with the linking between two cabs, but not what they each control. This particular board has no connectors on the backside like other people have to have the JAMMA connector come back and connect to the game PCB. Hence, I cannot play the same thing on the main monitor and the LCD screen.

The switches there choose allow you to control the source of the input (from the composite, to the jamma, to the camera), it turns it on and off, a timer to switch between certain inputs at certain times (I think it was 30 and 60 secs) and another one that set which cabinet is which when using it for the camera.

Whew I hope this explains and clears some things up for you guys. Btw if you are missing this board, good luck getting it unless you find another cabinet that has the board heh.

I gueesed at the switches, but don't know what each one does since I can only connect to the RCA inputs to get a video feed. The crappy part is that I have a set of cabs that were originally linked, but the player 2 cab is missing this board......

Fox1

20 Year Member
Hrm I do remember mine had a connector on the back of that special LCD board that you needed to connect...if I remember correctly it was connected to the jamma cable which is why I believe you're not getting any picture for that. Are you saying yours doesn't have that?

As for the connectors, if I remember correctly it was for the camera/special cabinet link cable..oddly enough I think I have the cabinet link cable around here somewhere...I don't know why or how it would be any use unless you had another one of these cabinets that had a board lol.

Btw sorry for using ur picture without asking, I just wanted to find a picture of the board without much hassle lol.

evbraven

New Challenger
Hrm I do remember mine had a connector on the back of that special LCD board that you needed to connect...if I remember correctly it was connected to the jamma cable which is why I believe you're not getting any picture for that. Are you saying yours doesn't have that?

As for the connectors, if I remember correctly it was for the camera/special cabinet link cable..oddly enough I think I have the cabinet link cable around here somewhere...I don't know why or how it would be any use unless you had another one of these cabinets that had a board lol.

Btw sorry for using ur picture without asking, I just wanted to find a picture of the board without much hassle lol.

NO problem on using the photo, I just thought it was ironic. Yeah, there are no connectors on the back. I think I know the reason though. I'm pretty sure now that this is the PLAYER 2 cabinet board, but in a PLAYER 1 cabinet shell. Notice the lack of a #5 switch, although the hole is there. I'm pretty sure the only way I'll be getting my game to show up on top is to hack the jamma cable and make it a dual feed.
If you find that link cable, how much would you want for it?

Fox1

20 Year Member
NO problem on using the photo, I just thought it was ironic. Yeah, there are no connectors on the back. I think I know the reason though. I'm pretty sure now that this is the PLAYER 2 cabinet board, but in a PLAYER 1 cabinet shell. Notice the lack of a #5 switch, although the hole is there. I'm pretty sure the only way I'll be getting my game to show up on top is to hack the jamma cable and make it a dual feed.
If you find that link cable, how much would you want for it?

I found the cable:

tnimg0941.jpg

It has connections for the top part of the board, but can you show me a picture of the back part of your board? I'm kinda interested. I'm saving this for a person that does have the 2 boards because atm if you only have 1 board, it won't really work I don't think.

evbraven

New Challenger
After seeing that picture, I realized I have one of those cables! I'll post pics of my board later tonight.

Fox1

20 Year Member
wierd, yea I agree with you...this might be for the 2nd cabinet or a Proto, I dunno lol

evbraven

New Challenger
I may have to tear into that link cable and see if I can figure out the pinouts. I also have another cab with the LCD monitor and it's cable, but no control board. It would be nice to figure out how to utilize that thing........or maybe I should just sell that one.