Konami Teraburst RTC Self check error

quakesin

n00b
Okay I acquired a Konami Teraburst upright cabinet mainly to make a MAME cabinet out of. It came with all the hardware except for the guns since the place I got it from needed them to fix another cabinet. The game PCBs pass all the device checks except for the Real Time Clock/SRAM chip it fails with an "RTC Self check error" message. I've checked around and it seems like the way to fix it is to replace the chip and then program it with the mame dump. I'll probably get with channelmanic on this... but I was wondering if anyone else has any experience with Kanomi hornet hardware?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
My play by play has the same error. It's not really needed to run the game so I just ignore it.

quakesin

n00b
I guess I forgot to mention the game does not continue starting up after that, it just shows that error message and then it restarts. :confused:

quakesin

n00b
I had not even thought to check those... ;)

From the 8 switch on the CPU PCB:

1 = OFF
2 = OFF
3 = OFF
4 = OFF
5 = OFF
6 = OFF
7 = OFF
8 = OFF

Then there is a 4 switch on a smaller board that has these values:
1 = OFF
2 = OFF
3 = OFF
4 = ON

Is there something I can set with them to allow the game to run with a dead battery? I had not even thought to look those up I might do that right now...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
On mine they are:

1 = OFF
2 = OFF
3 = OFF
4 = OFF
5 = OFF
6 = ON
7 = OFF
8 = ON (Only for switching from Medium Res(off) to Standard Res(on))

As for the battery, I can't even find one on my board.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
There is a series of Konami games that have that pesky RTC chip in them. When the chip dies, the game dies.

I don't have the code for it and do not work on those boards. James, maybe you would be comfortable with reading the chip off of yours and backing up the data on it for him to try on his board. I didn't want the liability of desoldering the chip from someone's working board.

RJ

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I could do that but you have to tell me what kind of chip to dump it as.

quakesin

n00b
It's probably not worth it for a crappy light gun game like this. I paid nothing for it after all just thought it might be cool to have it working. :)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I think it's already dumped in mame. I know play by play is dumped.

quakesin

n00b
The game does run in MAME .139 but it's unplayable I don't know if the romset has that RTC chips contents in it or not what would it be named?

quakesin

n00b
I found the dump for that chip it was named "m48t58y-70pc1" imagine that! ;)

I don't have the equipment or the parts to do anything with it though is it possible to solder a socket into that spot and just use an EPROM in place of it?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Hopefully. Maybe channelmaniac can chime in on this.

quakesin

n00b
If it's possible I bet he could do it! He fixed my NBA Jam PCB for me about two years ago and it's still working perfectly! :glee:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Dunno if that dump will work or not.

The issue is that it may be from a different region. One of the Konami driving games has an image out for that chip but it's from Japan where the games have a clutch and not from the USA.

RJ

quakesin

n00b
Yep and I don't think I have any way of knowing which version mine was cause I think the version data was stored on that chip! When the game first powers up it shows "Version: ***" instead of a version number or letter.

I sure do dislike battery powered arcade stuff! :crying:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Well, I guess mine died. It now says "RTC ERROR (350)"

quakesin

n00b
Sefer Halilović (Xian Xi --if you refuse to deal with him over a name change a mod will stab*;3044282 said:
Well, I guess mine died. It now says "RTC ERROR (350)"

Oh no! :crying:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Well, looking at the Mame dump of the chip it doesn't have much info in it except the game number and hardware. For mine it just says GX 778.

I'm gonna order a chip that channelmaniac used to fix someones Racing Jam. According to that guy the mame dump worked. Amd plus the new chips don't use batteries.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Looks like the M48T58Y-70PC1 is out of stock and has a lead time of 16 weeks but the others have stock:

M48T58Y-100PC1
M48T58Y-150PC1

Any adverse effects if I use one of them instead of the 70ns?