Does this sound like a good idea?

SNKFreak

Banned
I'm thinking up another idea to throw into my "Turn an MVS board into a console" projets. I've managed to fit everything except a power supply inside the metal casing. Well I was wondering, if it's a good idea to builda tiny 5V and 12V PSU (get parts from gool ol radio shack) and fit that in the board. DOes this sound like a good idea, or do I risk blowing up another one of my boards?

[ November 18, 2002: Message edited by: SNKFreak ]</p>

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Why not??? It's all educational but rather than destroy a PCB,use your meters to run tests...
I believe there was a page on the internet where this guy placed a 2 slot in see-thru
plexiglas housing modeled after the NGH with an external power supply.He also made some see-thru plexiglas joysticks as well but they appeared to be very..very fragile..
Anybody remember that?? It looked really cool! I save the pic along time ago but my HD crashed before I had the opportunity to back it up :(
-BB

Winston Goh

Camel Slug
Hi!
I have saw some power adaptor that resemble a laptop adaptor that come with a din plug. It has 5V 12V and -5V at abt 3-10AMP, rather expensive but it could serve as your psu.

edgemaster

Rugal's Thug
It's great to see your mod coming along...

I just measured the current of the +5v and +12v lines running to my 6 slot board.

It seems that the wattage is much lower than I thought. (I am running my 6 slot with a couple of light bulbs in some switches and the PCB is full of games)

Using Wattage=Voltage*Current (P=V*i) I worked out the +5v line pulls 19Watts of power and flows at 3.8 Amps

The +12v line pulls almost 1Watt of power and flows at 0.083 Amps

Could someone please confirm this as I am not too sure it is correct :-/

If this is true I guess you could get away with quite a low power PSU?

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
I measured about 5 amps drawn from the 5 volt rail on the six slot boards, I think its around the same on the other boards

edgemaster

Rugal's Thug
Thanx ttooddddyy for that info :-)

That would mean 25-30Watt PSU should power the board ok then?

I am just thinking aloud here for the sake of SNKfreak, I would hate him to have an under rated PSU for his project.

Winston Goh

Camel Slug
Originally posted by SNKFreak:
<strong>CAn you give me the dimensions?</strong><hr></blockquote>

You mean the adaptor? Abt 4 inch by 2 inch, height is abt 1 inch.

I try and get the exact spec and the usage the next time I go to that electonic store.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
I've recently bought a 4-slot I intend to turn into my own version of !Arcade!'s Shadow4. I was aware that the multi-slots didn't draw that huge amount of current most people seem to assume. Note that the Shadow4 is not powered by an arcade psu but by a small home psu. I've seen that Netgear makes a +5v 5A supply for some PC hub/switch: that would be perfect, although I'm not going to put it inside the mobo.
JHendrix claims that if you get sound from the headphone connector you don't need +12v (see his web page). I haven't checked that myself yet but if it's correct then that +5v psu would be enough to power the board. We'll see.

Devilman78

Camel Slug
Results are going to vary depending on the cart used, older carts will show about 1A draw on the board.

Newer games will draw like 2-4 times higher, depending on cart.

I do not have exact numbers, but someone can check that out for themself.

apus

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Hi,

tested with Garou/MS-X, my 2-Slot use a current value of 1.4A.

bye apus