Using my MVS cabinet for JAMMA

Anselm

Camel Slug
So I built an MVS cabinet from scratch. It turned out pretty well. I have about 25 carts for it so far. But now that I have an arcade cabinet, I now want to start using it for other things. I don't know how to do this and was hoping to get a few questions answered.

I know the veterans here have probably heard these questions a thousand times, but if you have time to answer them, or can point me to a resource that can help, I would appreciate it greatly.

1. Is there a converter to use an MVS harness for JAMMA motherboards? I see they sell converters to go from JAMMA to MVS, but is there one to go the other way?

2. I assume a kick harness goes directly from the motherboard to the console buttons. Is there anything else I need to know about it? I plan on building a second panel that I can swap out for 5 and 6 button games.

3. Is there a list of JAMMA compatible games out there? I've seen terms like CPS2, Atomiswave, JAMMA plus. I know I want a MK2 and SF2CE setup, but I don't even know what I have access to.

Oh, and by far Metal Slug has been what I spend most of my time playing. I'm at 1,030,000 points on one credit at all default settings. I can get to the last level without dying. Damn thing is so addicting.

~Anselm~

SuperDeadite

Zero's Tailor
KLOV is a good way see if a game is JAMMA or not. Just look up the game, and it will tell you it's conversion class (JAMMA, Model 2, System 16, etc). There are some errors though. They still claim that R-Type is not JAMMA, when in truth R-Type is JAMMA.

CPS2 is just Capcom hardware. Games are JAMMA with a CPS2 kick for extra buttons when needed.

Just be mindful of monitor compatibility. I don't know what your monitor is, but some games require a Medium Res (24khz) or High Res (31khz) monitor. The Atomiswave for example is meant for High Res (though it can output in Low Res 15khz too.)

Anselm

Camel Slug
KLOV is a good way see if a game is JAMMA or not. Just look up the game, and it will tell you it's conversion class (JAMMA, Model 2, System 16, etc). There are some errors though. They still claim that R-Type is not JAMMA, when in truth R-Type is JAMMA.

CPS2 is just Capcom hardware. Games are JAMMA with a CPS2 kick for extra buttons when needed.

Just be mindful of monitor compatibility. I don't know what your monitor is, but some games require a Medium Res (24khz) or High Res (31khz) monitor. The Atomiswave for example is meant for High Res (though it can output in Low Res 15khz too.)

My Monitor is the new Wells Gardner Tri-sync digital CRT. It will work from 15Khz-40Khz.

So CPS2 is just a Capcom brand? Does this mean I could just build a kick harness for the extra buttons, or would I have to use their harness. Is it just wiring or is circuitry involved?

~Anselm~

SuperDeadite

Zero's Tailor
Yeah CPS2 is just standard capcom hardware. The CPS2 A board (main mother board) has a JAMMA edge and special plug for a kick harness. You need the plug, but then you just run wires to the extra buttons from the back of it.