Got a Contra PCB, 2P controls aren't working

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
I think the PCB may be a bootleg, as there's no slot for the JAMMA 'key' in the harness.

Anyhow, I powered it up, and everything seems fine except for a bit of hissing in the sound, and occasionally the background graphic glitch, so long as I'm playing 1-player. When I press 2P start, a second player appears, but the 2p controls don't seem to do ANYTHING.

Any thoughts as to what could cause this?

Thanks

-Collin

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Not all JAMMA boards have the key notch in it, so that you know.

Have you tried another 2-player game in it to see if it's the controllers themselves and not the board? Check the common ground going to the 2P controller set. If it's broken anywhere leading to the controller, it will kill them all.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Yeah, the cabinet and the control panel are fine, I believe - just this one board not working.

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
For the record Collin, I took a look around and I can't find a single Contra board WITH a key slot... Either pictures on-line or mine.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Gotcha. Probably not a bootleg then. Even so, I can't imagine why I'm having this issue with the 2p controls. I swapped between it and Galuda several times, and Galuda was always fine.

*edit* Tried it on another JAMMA cab, and on the other one, the 2p controls work but 1p controls don't... weird...

Last edited:

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Only thing I could think of is if the 2P wiring was different than a standard JAMMA game however the schematics on KLOV shows them to be in the positions they should be :scratch:

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Yeah, I had the same thought, and came to the same conclusion; it's a standard JAMMA pinout... I just can't even imagine what's up....

Seller said it was tested working about two years ago... said she'd refund if it didn't work still, but I'd MUCH rather get the board working than take a refund; I'm guessing it was something of a steal at $60 shipped....

Nuclear Neo

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Good luck with fixing it, seems rather odd that 1p works and 2p doesnt....

I bought a tekken 2 board a while ago (100% working the seller said) and none of the buttons/credit switch etc work.... and i go into test mode and the monitor has a spazz and it flickers... i wouldnt have a clue where to start cause the game goes through demo mode and wont respond to a single button! grrr, PCBs that are delicate and are exposed are anoying, wish they all came in cases like the CPS2 or Neo Geo games lol

SuperDeadite

Zero's Tailor
So on first rig, 1p works 2p doesn't.
On 2nd rig, 2p works, 1p doesn't?

Assuming both rigs are wired correctly, how's the JAMMA edge look? Might need a good cleaning is all.

Blur2040

Crossed Swords Squire
This sounds like a boot to me, Collin.

I just purchased what I believe is a legit one (a legit one that needs work).

See here: http://cgi.ebay.com/CONTRA-Konami-P...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3caee7116c

You'll note that it has keying on the JAMMA edge. Also, theres those giant square ICs or whatever they are---they appear to have the Konami name/logo on them.

Also, don't worry, I bought the game with something else and got a discount so the board only cost me 8 bucks shipped.

So, I guess the obvious question would be...Does this board say Konami anywhere on it?

Edit:

I think this auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/CONTRA-JAMMA-AR...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bdf5f1ab
....offers pretty conclusive evidence of what a proper Contra looks like. (Konami Name/Logo all over everything).

Something tells me that Contra is an often bootlegged game.

Last edited:

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
NOW there are ones with keys on eBay, AFTER I put my foot in my mouth... :(

mmsadda

10 Year Member
So on first rig, 1p works 2p doesn't.
On 2nd rig, 2p works, 1p doesn't?

Assuming both rigs are wired correctly, how's the JAMMA edge look? Might need a good cleaning is all.
Precisely - different players work on different cabs.

The JAMMA edge was a bit dirty but has already been cleaned and the issue persists.

This sounds like a boot to me, Collin.

I just purchased what I believe is a legit one (a legit one that needs work).

See here: You'll note that it has keying on the JAMMA edge. Also, theres those giant square ICs or whatever they are---they appear to have the Konami name/logo on them.

Also, don't worry, I bought the game with something else and got a discount so the board only cost me 8 bucks shipped.

So, I guess the obvious question would be...Does this board say Konami anywhere on it?

Edit:

I think this auction: ....offers pretty conclusive evidence of what a proper Contra looks like. (Konami Name/Logo all over everything).

Something tells me that Contra is an often bootlegged game.
Well dang. By that logic, what I got may well be a boot. I didn't see Konami anywhere on it, but I'm also used to earlier 80s PCBs that, while legit, don't have the company's name written in more than maybe one place, so I wasn't too worried.

NOW there are ones with keys on eBay, AFTER I put my foot in my mouth... :(
Well, dang, sorry about your luck. :( Sounds like you got stuck with a boot, too. And no worries, I appreciate the help - I wouldn't have been horrified about owning a Contra boot if I'd known that's what it was/if it worked properly.

Point of reference - my first JAMMA cab was actually a Contra or Super Contra cab that'd had a Neo mobo thrown in it, and the monitor changed to horizontal. The JAMMA harness in there has a key in it, so I could totally believe what Blur2040 says about legit boards having a key.

Here's what mine looks like:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390216982097&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Sam, is this anything like yours?

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Looks a lot like mine. Guess I have a boot too. Ah well. Only thing that bugs me is weird flickering.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Gotcha. Not worth screwing with, then. The seller has a good return policy, so I guess I know what I'll be doing... :(

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
From the pic, that's definitely a boot, sorry to say. Konami also stamps their name on the pcb as I've seen in several of their games.