Lines in monitor

Daedalus

If there's a Bandwagon. I'm on it!
I have some discolored vertical lines on one side of my monitor. I know little about CRT's is this a common problem that is fixable?

Ugh that pic looked sou much better on my camera...please click the link than the picture to see it full size to get a better idea.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
That pic really doesn't show anything helpful. Sounds like it could be a convergence problem but can't tell from the pic.

grantspain

Crazed MVS Addict
could be jailbar effect,its caused by a leaky capacitor-need to know you monitor model though

try reducing horizontal size first

Daedalus

could be jailbar effect,its caused by a leaky capacitor-need to know you monitor model though

I tried that, the lines stay, Unless I make the horizontal size SO large that the lines and a large portion of the screen are pushed off the sides...

Sorry for the noobness, but I was always told to stay away from tubes cause the voltage can kill you ( even though voltage can't kill... )

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Just don't poke around the HV areas and you'll be fine. You only need to read the model number anyhow for the time being :). Just take a look in the back and see if you can read it off a sticker or some such.

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
If you could post a pic of the crosshatch from the test menu, that might help out a bit in determining the problem.

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
Is it all games? I notice my monitor does something like this with games like Strikers 1945+
It seems like the image folds over on itself on the sides. I think it has to do with the game outputting a higher resolution than standard.

Daedalus

Yes it is all games, it is definitely the monitor, I will get a pic of the cross hatch and post it, as well as try to figure out the moitor make...just been busy

Thanks

Daedalus

Here is the grid, but it does nothing in showing the problem...can see the lines at all on a dark screen....white is the worst.

I have the Hsize as far as it will go to shrink it, and I still don't see the edges of the grid...I doubt that's normal either...

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
Some monitors have hsize adjustments on the chassis as well as a remote board. If yours does, you're adjusting both then?

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
I thought curling was 99% of the time a leaky cap.

Odd that it doesn't show up in the crosshatch, though, no? Also - why does your crosshatch look like it's blue or b+g or cyan (missing red, basically) on the edges of the monitor?

There are also adjustments on the neckboard (depending which monitor you have) that will control color drive and cutoff. I wouldn't adjust this for the problem you described.

There's also a horizontal coil you can adjust - but I wouldn't. You shouldn't adjust it with anything other than a plastic key.

Daedalus

Some monitors have hsize adjustments on the chassis as well as a remote board. If yours does, you're adjusting both then?

Just the chassis, Ill have to look into ones being on the board.

Daedalus

I thought curling was 99% of the time a leaky cap.

Odd that it doesn't show up in the crosshatch, though, no? Also - why does your crosshatch look like it's blue or b+g or cyan (missing red, basically) on the edges of the monitor?

There are also adjustments on the neckboard (depending which monitor you have) that will control color drive and cutoff. I wouldn't adjust this for the problem you described.

There's also a horizontal coil you can adjust - but I wouldn't. You shouldn't adjust it with anything other than a plastic key.

They do show up on the cross hatch, just very difficult to see as the picture is mostly black. A full white screen like the "100 mega shock" shows it fully. I do not know why the pic looks like the lines are curling, because they are straight on the monitor, its almost like the camera has a fish eye lens but it doesn't.

I thought all the cross hatches were blue on the edges??

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I thought all the cross hatches were blue on the edges??

The color of the edge is determined by the region of the BIOS.

Light Blue: USA BIOS
Dark Blue: Spanish BIOS
Red: Japanese BIOS

Daedalus

I am thinking this is the problem....are there any pics of this to compare mine to?

grantspain

Crazed MVS Addict
normally this will manifest itself as shadow like bars of about 1cm thick coming from the left for about 6 cms or so
its caused by a leaky cap on the HT smoothing circuit
without knowing what monitor you have then its impossible to advise any more