XRGB-3 help?

Blue Mary Mania 8

King's Dry Cleaner
Anyone on the forums here have a XRGB-3 that they know inside & out?

Running into some issues and was hoping I might get some assistance before I go all kinds of crazy.

Thanks in advance for any help everyone!

Rawit

n00b
I have a XRGB-3 and an AES and at the moment I'm also tweaking this setup. What are the issues?

Blue Mary Mania 8

King's Dry Cleaner
I cannot seem to access any of the upscaling, no resolution modes beyond 640x480 seem to work. When I push the mode button to the higher resolutions there is just a black screen.

I am running this in B0, DVI --> HDMI into my Panasonic plasma (PV10). I have the XRGB-3 set to 4:3, and my screen is set to 4:3. I've been using my Wii with a Nintendo official D-Terminal cable, and my PS2 with the Sony official D-Terminal cable.

Rawit

n00b
Did you update your XRGB-3 with the English 2.12 firmware? The timings of certain resolutions have changed.

I never changed the resolution by pushing the mode button on the unit itself, but I switch the resolution with the remote through the menu.

Some TV's are picky with the resolutions they accept through HDMI. In the case of the XRGB-3 even more, because sometimes the timings are a bit off.

Try to switch it to 1280 x 720 resolution which is a standard HD resolution. I know that some Panasonic Plasma's accept 1280 x 1024 as input.

Blue Mary Mania 8

King's Dry Cleaner
It came updated out of the box to 2.12.

Man, after two days of non-stop testing and trial and error. I did manage to get the 1920x1080 to happen. It takes A LOT of work though. The process "feels" very haphazard too.

I have to set my TV input to native, or as Panasonic refers to it "FULL."
Turn on the XRGB-3, which will default to 1280x720 with a grotesque picture. It's all over scanned and weird.
Then I have to set the FULL_HD setting in the options menu to "LOW."
Using the on-screen menu, I then have to select 1360x768 which makes my screen go absolutely bonkers. Artifacts everywhere, screen frozen, crazy stuff. The remote won't work at this point, so, I have to manually change the Mode.
I Mode cycle through all the settings, BUT, when I get to 1920x1080, it shows a correct picture.
Sometimes I have to go through this process several times. :crying:

All that said, when it does get into 1920x1080, I can confirm it in the on screen menus. And, when I push the status button on my TV remote, the Panasonic claims it's showing a 1080p signal. The 1920x1080 makes a substantial difference as well, the picture from my AES through RGB, and my PS2 through D-Terminal, both look fantastic.

However, the steps above sometimes have to be repeated numerous times. AND, if I switch my TV input, I have to do it all over again.

Rawit

n00b
Sounds to me your Panasonic isn't too happy with the signal the XRGB-3 outputs at times... I have connected the XRGB-3 to a 1920x1200 LCD monitor. With the 2.12 firmware I had no trouble getting it to display. However, it seems like the sequence of things do matter, as that when I turn on the AES before I turn on the XRGB I get no image. Try playing with that.

I find it strange though that your XRGB-3 doesn't respond to the remote. Try resetting the unit. It will remove your settings (but you are re-doing the settings all the time now). You can reset it by switching the unit off with the Power button, and then press the mode and auto buttons, keep them pressed in, and then press Power.

It should start then in B0 at 640 x 480. Then change the FULL_HD setting to low and change the resolution to 1920 x 1080.

RGB32e

n00b
Anyone on the forums here have a XRGB-3 that they know inside & out?

Running into some issues and was hoping I might get some assistance before I go all kinds of crazy.

Thanks in advance for any help everyone!

That would be me! ;) Looks like we're in the same metro area... :loco:

The main English thread for XRGB-3 "tribal knowledge" is over on the shmups forum.... not to say Fudoh and crew don't post here either....

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6987

Have you updated to English firmware yet?

EDIT... are you INV2 over on shmups with your V10? Looks to be so... :S :D

I still think this device might help 1080p DVI compatibility (it's a $40 experiment):
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=1011405&p_id=5369&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

53693.jpg

My XBR8 works great at 1080p with no fuss... but that's only with ANALOG connection. However, the difference between 1280x1024 DVI (1:1) and 1080p analog is extremely minimal at best (thankfully). I've tried congering 1080p via a DVI to HDMI connection... but could only get a black 4:3 box for a brief period of time.

Last edited:

Blue Mary Mania 8

King's Dry Cleaner
They have been very helpful over there.

I got my VGA cable and I'm messing with it now.

So you're thinking that this external DVI to HDMI box might convert it into a signal more friendly to HD TV HDMI inputs?

And when you guys say "English firmware update" do you mean to say that there is an update on micomsoft's website that will make the on screen menus in English? Man, if that's the case I need to do that on the double....even though at this point, I've spent so much time testing this thing that I have memory recall of all the entries now.

Last edited:

RGB32e

n00b
They have been very helpful over there.

I got my VGA cable and I'm messing with it now.

So you're thinking that this external DVI to HDMI box might convert it into a signal more friendly to HD TV HDMI inputs?

And when you guys say "English firmware update" do you mean to say that there is an update on micomsoft's website that will make the on screen menus in English? Man, if that's the case I need to do that on the double....even though at this point, I've spent so much time testing this thing that I have memory recall of all the entries now.

Yeah, I worked on the translation with fellow members over on that forum. Akumajo was the one who contacted Micomsoft... the group of us used a wiki to translate and localize the OSD (menu). The menu item order is the same.

I had memorized the items before the EN-US FW was released by Micomsoft. :p

The EN-US firmware is up on Micomsoft's site:

http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xrgb-3_download.htm

NEW!! OSD Rev.2(D2zoom bug fix.)
XRGB-3 CPU Version2.12e + CMD Version2.12
        +
XRGB-3 FPGA(B0) Version2.10
x86 binary - with installer. English Version
Special thanks XRGB wiki

FW Link:
http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xrgb3_update_setup_v2_12eRev2.exe

Blue Mary Mania 8

King's Dry Cleaner
I installed the English firmware, that is some quality, QUALITY stuff. It's much easier to navigate through everything.

I have managed to get everything to work pretty nicely with the VGA cable, my Panasonic will accept up to 1680x1050 through the VGA port. I have it in B1 mode for the scan lines, obviously.

There's a couple of small tweaks to get the AES to display properly through the RGB input, in the AFC settings.

The only thing I could not get to work is my Gamecube with my SHVC-010 RGB cable, the Nintendo branded RGB cable (for the Super Famicom). Although I think it works with the N64 as well. I don't think it's compatible with the Gamecube, since it probably wants to output progressive video through its digital AV port. So this may not be the XRGB-3's doing.

I can see why a lot of people would be turned off by the XRGB-3, you have to have some fortitude and resourcefulness, because it does take some work.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
The only thing I could not get to work is my Gamecube with my SHVC-010 RGB cable, the Nintendo branded RGB cable (for the Super Famicom). Although I think it works with the N64 as well. I don't think it's compatible with the Gamecube, since it probably wants to output progressive video through its digital AV port. So this may not be the XRGB-3's doing.

I can see why a lot of people would be turned off by the XRGB-3, you have to have some fortitude and resourcefulness, because it does take some work.

I believe a gamecube has to be modded for RGB, its probably cheaper just to get either a component or d terminal cable for it and go from there.

Blue Mary Mania 8

King's Dry Cleaner
hey RGB32e...

I posted this on the other forum, but....I just want to make sure I'm getting this into B1 mode correctly...

So supposedly in B1 mode there should be no differences in resolution settings. But, I can very clearly see a difference between 640x480 and switching it to 1680x1050, so...this thing must be full processing mode not B1.

I don't get it, I set it to B1 in FPGA menu, press OK. Then turn off the XRGB-3 and turn it back on. When I go to the FPGA menu it's still selected on B1 mode. Am I not doing this correctly?

Do I have the most current firmware for the B1 mode?

It displays...

FPGA1 VER
VER 09 01 23

What info is on your unit?

Last edited: