The WC is the worst thing for Africa since the Apartheid

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Yeah, I would rank it as #3 on the worst things Africa faces right now, behind war and famine.

The people who are producing this WC are promoting stereotypes left and right, with the wee-oh-way big DeeJay smiling black people, horns, and tribal cultural music.

In the US, it's not like we listen to cultural US music. But then we're a lot of different cultures so maybe American's can't understand this. Okay, if you go to Spain, it's not like everyone is listening to acoustic guitar or the music from Claw's theme in SSF2. What are they listening to? Something that isn't so ridiculously novel.

This whole cup gives a hilarious image of what African people are all about. Nitwits with horns listening to cultural music that was dreamed up by some granola eating swiss hippy who saw The Gods Must Be Crazy. It's tragic.

Arthas

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
Why did I know this thread was created by you when I saw it on the main forum page?

You're negative as hell wasabi. This world cup represents many things for Africa, positive things, contrary to what you may believe.

And the whole stereotype music thing, it's people being true to their origins. I can tell you whenever I hear some mariachi music I don't feel insulted nor stereotyped, I feel damn proud and it makes me feel like I want to yell AJUAAAA CABRONES!!!

The real reason America can't understand this is because they really have NO richness in their culture.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Yeah, there's an air of blaxploitation that comes out of the speakers when the waka-waka thingy from whateverthenameofthatbustychickis is playing during the broadcasts but most Africans seem to have a good time with the WC and the FIFA have just announced that they made roughly 2.6 billion dollars with the cup so far, so all is well, eh. :D

Ah well... people down there DO have fun and the image of South Africa got a little polish as well so overall, the South Africa trip isn't all that bad. Not all viewers around the world fall for the pittoresque picture of Africa the FIFA marketing people want to shove down our throats, and if they do, they're as dumb as a loaf of bread and deserve being fooled.

Mentioning it in the same breath as Apartheid is crap, though.

Despite

n00b
Why did I know this thread was created by you when I saw it on the main forum page?

You're negative as hell wasabi. This world cup represents many things for Africa, positive things, contrary to what you may believe.

And the whole stereotype music thing, it's people being true to their origins. I can tell you whenever I hear some mariachi music I don't feel insulted nor stereotyped, I feel damn proud and it makes me feel like I want to yell AJUAAAA CABRONES!!!

The real reason America can't understand this is because they really have NO richness in their culture.

Listen to this man.

*puts on some polka and has a beer*

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
From Wasabi´s post i suspect that he has never been in Africa...or been with an African for more than 30 seconds.

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
It's probably the biggest thing that will happen to S. Africa for the next 30 years, not all of the people will be involved for sure but it puts the country on the map for holding large sporting events :)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
From Wasabi´s post i suspect that he has never been in Africa...or been with an African for more than 30 seconds.

Actually last summer I did have an exciting experience in Morocco. Come to Cairo in 3 weeks and I will tell you about it!

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Honestly, was the Vuvuzela REALLY a strong part of African heritage like they said when they were vehemently defending their right to constantly blow on them like jackasses?

Or did it have to do with the fact that they bought a shitload of them from China and they needed to sell them all off to turn a profit?

I wonder how much lead is in one of those things.

Anselm

Camel Slug
The local merchants are not allowed to sell their local "cultural" wares within 1.5 Kilometers of the stadiums. The stuff they sell are western culture trinkets, approved by FIFA. I've seen several news reports about this, and how the local communities and industry are furious.

How much of that 2 billion from FIFA do you think Africa will see? I'm not sure if they are being stereotyped, but they definitely are getting taken advantage of.

~Anselm~

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
I'd like to think the S.African economy will get alot of cash out of the world cup which would hopefully filter through to the normal folk :)

Anselm

Camel Slug
I'd like to think the S.African economy will get alot of cash out of the world cup which would hopefully filter through to the normal folk :)

How?

FIFA controls what is sold, who gets to sell it, and I bet they get the revenues from things like broadcasting rights, international merchandising etc. I don't know how Africa is compensated, but I bet it's a scrap from the table compared to what FIFA takes away.

~Anselm~

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
I just can't believe that south africa will get next to fuck all from this tournament. Tens of thousands of visitor staying in hotels, buying meals, buying football stuff and general presents. Also a cut from revenue from FIFA of all matches and merchandise? I don't think FIFA gave them a tenner and said that's it.

Anselm

Camel Slug
I just can't believe that south africa will get next to fuck all from this tournament. Tens of thousands of visitor staying in hotels, buying meals, buying football stuff and general presents. Also a cut from revenue from FIFA of all matches and merchandise? I don't think FIFA gave them a tenner and said that's it.

You are right about the local hotels, and to some extent the food, but merchandise goes to FIFA and the corporations they choose to buy from. There are also employment opportunities, but the local revenue they get is only because there is no way for FIFA to keep it (Like they are doing with keeping local vendors away from the events). I just think the bulk of the money created from this event will never find it's way to Africa.

~Anselm~