Drilling a hole in my astro city panel

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Two questions: Anyone know the size of the hole drill I need exactly? Second question, what is usually used in the Sega Astro City panels? I don't know if these are sanwa or seimitsu. I know they are 30mm, but is that the hole size or must I make it smaller so they can snap in? Thanks.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Well, I already drilled holes in a previous panel such as this, but I used happ buttons. I don't see what issue could arrise?

Also, if you watch this video, some guy (for god knows what reason) made his JPN cab into a stupid MK cab, and he clearly drilled if you see what he holds up for the holes made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpbJZF2hSx8

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
if youve done it before then i dont know why youre asking.

the best way to do it is with a knockout, im not saying its impossible to drill it though.

the hole is 30mm. you can use the bit you used for happ buttons and file it out a little.

i would recommend using screw in, rather than snap in.

P00t

Fuck eBay & PayPal,
You'd be better off getting some masking tape and placing some cross points to drill out the holes, using a measuring tape to get all the spacing right etc

As mentioned before, get one of those step cone drill bits, they're pretty awesome, I use mine all the time. If you practice on some materials you'll see how they work, you can practically make any size hole you want, you can just drill, check, drill, check until it's perfect. If you want to make sure you go no further than a certain point on the cone bit, just wrap some electric tape around to the point you want to go no further.

Those Astro panels usually have 30mm Sanwa or Seimitsu buttons for the players and 24mm Sanwa or Seimitsu buttons for credits and start buttons, but obviously those are the popular good buttons in my opinion.

As for the sizes, 30mm perfect hole will house the buttons and the same applies for the 24mm buttons. Either way they either snap lock on insertion, but you can also get the threaded ones with the plastic nut, both as good as each other.