AES to SuperNova controller adapter making help needed!!!!

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Well, I have two mas systems AES neo style arcade sticks and although I know I can play the Neo games just fine with the 6 button controllers the S.N. came with, I would much rather use the neo style ones.

So, I had two choices, call MasSystems and ship back my two sticks and pay for the shipping and work to be done to make the AES sticks work on both the AES and S.N. system....which would run about 140 bucks for the two of them....

or, go down to my local HSC electronics store and cough up the 5 bucks for 4 male pieces and the 15 wire cord....and make them myself.

um, If I chose #1, I wouldn't be here asking for help,lol!!
==================================================
So, here's my questions:

1)Can someone link my to the diagram of the neo geo aes controller stuff, so I can see which wires go where when I make these adapters?

2)the plug parts of the adapters(sorry, that's as tech as I get,lol) have these little cuffed slots for the wires to go in and I am not sure if I am supposed to crimp the wires in there or if I have to solder them in place for them to work....

any other advice would help!!! Take in to account that this is my first time ever doing anything like this.

I already know which superNova wire goes for what, meaning button 1,2,3 and 4, as well as the ground and up,down stuff....

but not for the neo. Someone gave me a link a while back, but I couldn't find my post. :(

THANKS LOADS!!!!!!

plus, then I can hook up my cd pads to the supernova for my girl, as she liked those better then the acrade sticks, especially for games like bust a move.

<small>[ May 19, 2003, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: NGT ]</small>

Lord Akidadus

Fio's Quartermaster
Neo Geo controller diagram

<a href="http://www.gamesx.com/controldata/neocont.htm" target="_blank">http://www.gamesx.com/controldata/neocont.htm</a>

Also, you will need to solder the wires to the 15 pin connectors. Cringing is usually used for disconnects.

Just buy a 15 pin connector both male and female and buy some wire.

I'm not sure how the nova sticks are hooked up, but the neo geo cd controller will need the +5V hooked up to it or it will not work. Just keep that in mind as well and you should be good to go.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Actually the +5V is exactly what the S.N. uses.

I have another newbie question...

The wires are in a bundle wrapped in foil inside the rubber coating that makes the wire. Outside of the foil, but inside the rubber coating, there is a silver wire insiding. What is this for?

hope that made sense,lol...seriously.

Does anyone know what type of soldering iron, wattage wise, I should be using for something this small?

I have one, but it's kinda big and cheap,lol..

It's 30-watt and I have .022 dia silver bearing solder.

will I be able to do this or will I mealt it to crap?

also, I have the wire, with all 60 tips stripped back...(I am making 2 of them :) ) I also have the other pieces and cases. It shouldn't look to shabby unless I mealt or break something :p

<small>[ May 20, 2003, 01:12 AM: Message edited by: NGT ]</small>

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
well, now I have to wait until tomarrow to finish this up as two of the neo size ends went down the tube in a big pile of solder :(

I got the wires out fine, and one end is perfect I think,lol

The main problem now is, I am not sure if I am soldering the wires in from the right side.

On the pictures I got, they just show the points, but are they the spots to solder or the whole as seen on the front of the plug?

Man this is pissing me off. The soldering iron is freakin huge and the wires keep slipping out. Any advice from any experienced solderers?

I would really appreciate it right now!!!

Lord Akidadus

Fio's Quartermaster
The best soldering iron for this job is a 15 watt cheap one from Radioshack. Your iron is too hot and is not made for doing such fine work.

The wires you were talking about are color coated and the silver wire is usually used for ground, but it can be used for anything else.

It is not an easy job. People think soldering wires are so easy, but its not. You have to have some patience and a good way to hold the connector down when you solder.

It just takes practice, try again with a new iron. I think the iron is around $8 at radioshack.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
well, I went down to my local HSC electronics and they had a soldering setup for customers....so I used that. He showed my how to "tint?" the wires and solder points and it went really smoothly!

I got everything on, but had one more question..

The only question I have left is about that link to the Neo points that was given above.

It says there are two spots for the D-button...

does it matter which one I pick?
=================================================
Edit: I just thought of a couple more questions :)

The SuperNova controller has the 5 and 6 buttons, but I am not sure which button the super nova uses for the D-button on the neo, is it the 4-push button or the 6-push button?

I have heard it sets up with button #6 for the D-button....

can someon clearify this for my? I soldered on Button 4 to the D button... but can easily take it off and switch it.

Also, if a point says NC for no connect, is it ok if somehting is attached, or should I cut it off?

<small>[ May 20, 2003, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: NGT ]</small>

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Well, I think I may have killed two birds with one stone. I took the second D-button pin on the Neo geo end and wired it to the 6-push button of the S.N. end...

which hopefully will allow the D button on my Neo stick to wok no matter which of the two D-button pins is the right one.

If this will fry my arcade stick or something please let me know!!! Or will it be fine?

thanks again for all your help! I am new at this, but getting much more experienced!

they don't look half bad, besides the guy at HSC forgetting to tell me about those little black rubber slips that go over each soler...

so they are bare, but I will try electical tape to cover them.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
NGT:
well, I went down to my local HSC electronics and they had a soldering setup for customers....so I used that. He showed my how to "tint?" the wires and solder points and it went really smoothly!

I got everything on, but had one more question..

The only question I have left is about that link to the Neo points that was given above.

It says there are two spots for the D-button...

does it matter which one I pick?
=================================================
Edit: I just thought of a couple more questions :)

The SuperNova controller has the 5 and 6 buttons, but I am not sure which button the super nova uses for the D-button on the neo, is it the 4-push button or the 6-push button?

I have heard it sets up with button #6 for the D-button....

can someon clearify this for my? I soldered on Button 4 to the D button... but can easily take it off and switch it.

Also, if a point says NC for no connect, is it ok if somehting is attached, or should I cut it off?
You mean tinning.

If I am not mistaken either D button connection should work fine as they are electrically connected.

Not sure about your other questions since i haven't much looked at a SuperNOVA.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
hey thanks!!!

do you know if it would be bad to have both D-button pins hooked up?

I just don't know if the supernova uses button 4 or 6 for the D-button.....

so I just covered both ways but will this damage anything?

and yes, it's tinning :D

THANKS LOADS!! Man this board kicks ass!!! There's no where else I can get help on these types of things!!

Lord Akidadus

Fio's Quartermaster
LOL, no it wont fry your arcade stick. You can use either one for button D and it will work. Solder them both together, it is no big deal.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
yeah, pardon my newbie worries, but I don't have much money as of lately and to blow a hundred dollar stick would suck to bad not to ask :)

I finished everything and clipped the NC wires off, but had a last and final question:

The wire that is supposed to be the ground one, that is seperated from the others. Well, I used a different wire for the ground. The guy at the store said it wouldn't matter, but said that unused ground wire could be connected to ONE end of the cord, to the metal plug where the screw goes in... for some reason. But said it might not be needed at all...

what the hell was he talking about? :)

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
NGT:
a last and final question:

The wire that is supposed to be the ground one, that is seperated from the others. Well, I used a different wire for the ground. The guy at the store said it wouldn't matter, but said that unused ground wire could be connected to ONE end of the cord, to the metal plug where the screw goes in... for some reason. But said it might not be needed at all...

what the hell was he talking about? :)
The ground that you have to use for the controls (joysticks, buttons) is logic ground (this is a black wire coming from either the power supply or one of the external pins on the Jamma harness). The ground you use to tie together all exposed metal parts (so that you don't get electrocuted in case of a short) is earth ground and that's found in the power plug/cord (the green wire), but it may well be missing if there is no need for it. As far as I know the supernova is not made of metal, is it? Grounding the small metal shields of connectors does not seem to me to be strictly necessary (as it would be in case of big metal panels) but if you want to do it use earth ground not logic ground...

<small>[ May 20, 2003, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: MKL ]</small>

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I don't know what you are talking about :)

I am asking about the silver wire that is on the outside of the foil on the 15 wire wire that I used to make the controller adapter. He wanted me to connect that to the screw on the end of the cord, but only one end and said it might not bee needed.

If this has any connection to what you are talking about, maybe you could clarify that for me. The whole thing is made out of wood and the CAB I put all this in will also be made of wood.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
NGT:
I am asking about the silver wire that is on the outside of the foil on the 15 wire wire that I used to make the controller adapter. He wanted me to connect that to the screw on the end of the cord, but only one end and said it might not bee needed.

If this has any connection to what you are talking about, maybe you could clarify that for me. The whole thing is made out of wood and the CAB I put all this in will also be made of wood.
It would have to do with what i called above earth ground but you're better off ignoring this altogether.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
oh! ok, thanks for clearing that up for me!!!! :)

Like I said before, I love this board!!! Everyone is so helpful!! well, most people at least,lol!!

thanks guys!!!