Metal Slug XX (XBLA) - May 19th

BattraxZ

Banned
if xx is to 7 like x is to 2, where do I get my ostrichs in 7? To ride on?

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Meh. It was a maybe at 800. Definite "no" at 1200.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Yeesh. You could get an actual physical copy of the PSP version for less than that.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I will purchase this blindly tomorrow when I get off work.

I'll take one for the team.

Unless someone tells me right now that MS7 was atrocious (was it?)

Akira_Tekagi

Kula's Candy
Metal Slug XX is now available on XBLA. Impressions of the trial version :

- The trial version allows you to play through mission 1. Marco is the only selectable character
- The game is uncensored (red blood) and fully translated
- Available display modes : Fullscreen and 4:3 (default). Fullscreen mode stretched the picture to 16:9 and it looked pretty awful. The screen size in 4:3 was smaller than in MS3, but the graphics looked nice
- Difficulty levels : Beginner, normal and hard
- The combat school mode was not available in the trial mode
- The autoplays show sections of the game's later missions
- No Leona? Is she available only in the PSP version?

aclbandit

Another Striker
I have the DS version (Slug 7) and the PSP version (Double-X). The game is definitely worth playing. It's definitely better than slug 5 and 4, but doesn't quite live up to the earlier games. I would recommend it for 800MS points ($10?), but not at 1200 ($15). If you're going to be spending that much anyway, just get a physical copy.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Just played the trial. Was hoping they would fix the mugen-rific backgrounds; alas, they are the same as DS rev. Disappointed in the lack of gfx tuneup- online multi is a nice touch tho. 1200 pts? That ain't happenin' cap'n. I'll wait for a sale.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Leona was a $1 add-on in the PSP version from the PSN store.

Graphics look like shit since they're taken directly from the DS version, far as I can tell.

Pretty disappointing to see that SNKP thinks that they should increase the price $5 since the last time they released a Slug on XBLA, especially seeing that they put so little to zero effort into the port from the PSP version.

I tried the demo for Aqua, as well, and that seems much more interesting, quite honestly, and it's down at the 800 point tag like XX should have been.

Can't help but hope that this doesn't sell too well so that SNKP learns its lesson about the price point.

I think we just need to be happy such an amazing game with 1996 graphics and playability is extremely relevant and fun today. Obviously the Neo Geo is gone but we still have progress with games and new animation I think we really need to support SNK so we can continue to get more from them.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I think we just need to be happy such an amazing game with 1996 graphics and playability is extremely relevant and fun today. Obviously the Neo Geo is gone but we still have progress with games and new animation I think we really need to support SNK so we can continue to get more from them.

How many copies of KOF12 did you buy?

NEOFREAK9189

Sakura's Bank Manager
20 Year Member
I play the demo in my 37 inch 1080p monitor looked pretty awful but
I play in 480i in my RGB CRT monitor the game look nice

Clessy

Banned
Fuck this shit where the hell is kof 2k2 UM?

Better yet where the fuck is my neogeo battle colosium

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
In the PSP version, Leona was only available through DLC. Let's see how many characters M$ would want a separate purchase on the xbla.

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
well, bought the game.Tough backgrounds look crap on the LCD the gameplay is extremely tight and very fluid.In my opinion this is a superior game to Slug 6
Still have to try the online co-op...

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Can't help but hope that this doesn't sell too well so that SNKP learns its lesson about the price point.

The logic behind 1200MSP XBLA games is that they can sell some copies at a higher price, and then later sell even more copies when the game becomes the Deal Of The Week and/or part of the XBLA Classics Collection. In the end, it's all about making more money.

elixir

NAM-75 Vet
The XBLA release uses the same default template that most XBLA games follow... as did MS3.

It's a shame that they force bilinear filtering and nothing else, much like MS3, because no one likes that shit. If you're going to release a 2D game like this, include nearest neighbour or at least multiple options, it isn't any extra work for them, it just simply isn't included.

The first stage is heavily recycled from MS7 and I'm seeing MS6 stuff too. The boss is directly from 7, but has been beefed up a bit.

I'll probably buy it at 800, when it drops eventually.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
This game is fricking great. Hard as hell though. I love the soundtrack. All the graphics from the DS look really pixelated of course. I can't remember if I've played 7 on my brother's DS or not. It would have had to be so long ago.

Just played the trial. Was hoping they would fix the mugen-rific backgrounds; alas, they are the same as DS rev. Disappointed in the lack of gfx tuneup- online multi is a nice touch tho. 1200 pts? That ain't happenin' cap'n. I'll wait for a sale.
Are you serious? 15 bucks for this is too much? Are homeless or something?

The first stage is heavily recycled from MS7 and I'm seeing MS6 stuff too. The boss is directly from 7, but has been beefed up a bit.
This game IS Metal Slug 7, is it not? I'll be pissed if it isn't. Waited forever for the big screen version we were promised. Check this link I found for a list of differences.

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Neo Alec said:
Are you serious? 15 bucks for this is too much? Are homeless or something?

Not homeless- guess you can think of me as 'or something'. I don't think this is worth 15bucks for being a lousy cut and paste job with shit backgrounds and missing the video options elixer mentioned.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
It's annoying you can't turn off the vibration. I'm not used to playing MS with that and it messes me up. This is the first normal screen version of 7, so I'll gladly pay the few dollars, considering what I've paid for the other ones.

BC_Gambit

Beni,
It's annoying you can't turn off the vibration. I'm not used to playing MS with that and it messes me up. This is the first normal screen version of 7, so I'll gladly pay the few dollars, considering what I've paid for the other ones.

I'll probably purchase this tomorrow; I played through the initial stage and figure it should be worth my space bucks (1200 is steep, but I am sure I have spent more $$$ and received less in return on other games.

The only real reason I hesitated tonight was I wanted to check to see if the game degenerated into crap from level one onwards.

I might even get off my ass and try some multiplayer and dust off my custom built wireless joystick (oh KOF12, why did you have to be crap :mr_t:?).

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I'm playing the Combat School missions now so I'm getting much better at the first few stages.

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
i´m having a lot of fun with this game and the co-op is awesome!
what i didn´t like so far is that theres no Score Attack mode included and theres few diversity in enemys(tough that´s something that plagues every Slug after Slug 3).I also wished that the backgrounds could be handrawn insted of this rendered look,wich make it look a bit bland.
I really enjoy the fast,fluid and responsive gameplay of this.great fun.