Pal Neo CD mod questions

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Hey Gang!,
I have read just about every topic relating to modding a Pal Neo Cd unit to Ntsc but I still have some questions.

1. When I do the mods that have been shown, will the unit output a 60 Hz NTSC signal via the Composite and Svideo jacks?

2. Will I be able to do all this and have full screen and proper full color?

3. Since this is brand new in the box, I haven't even opened the plastic bag around the console or accessories, I can not verify its version by opening it up. My understanding is this is a version 5 and might not be moddable. Thoughts on this?

Basically I recently acquired a brand new in the box Pal Neo Cd unit and I want to play Japanese and US software on the unit and play them on my Toshiba 36" TV.

The television is typical of American sets, no RGB or Scart.

Or should I just stick the unit on eBay?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers!
Todd

edit: added revision part

[ April 16, 2002: Message edited by: broken ]</p>

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Originally posted by broken:
<strong>1. When I do the mods that have been shown, will the unit output a 60 Hz NTSC signal via the Composite and Svideo jacks?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes it will.

<strong>2. Will I be able to do all this and have full screen and proper full color?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, provided you do a FULL PAL to NTSC and a 50 to 60Hz mod. The PAL to NTSC mod takes care of the proper colors, the 50 to 60 mod gives you the proper game speed and a full screen picture.

<strong>3. Since this is brand new in the box, I haven't even opened the plastic bag around the console or accessories, I can not verify its version by opening it up. My understanding is this is a version 5 and might not be moddable. Thoughts on this?</strong><hr></blockquote>

AFAIK, all CD console variants can be modded, it's just that in the newer revisions' main boards, the locations of the correct resistors and jumpers is slightly different. But it should be no problem to do the mods on these, since these spots are clearly marked on the board.

<strong>Basically I recently acquired a brand new in the box Pal Neo Cd unit and I want to play Japanese and US software on the unit and play them on my Toshiba 36" TV.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If your TV is not capable of displaying PAL, you may be forced to do the mods mentioned above. However, if it does and you only want to play the games, you can start right away, because ANY version of ANY game could be played on ANY console type (PAL/NTSC, JAP/EU/US, and vice versa).

<strong>Or should I just stick the unit on eBay?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd keep it and mod it.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Thank you very much Takumaji. I will begin the operation when i return from my vacation in Florida.

I might end up having some more questions when I do this..hehe.

Thanks you very much!
Todd

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Ok

I have done the needed mods and it is full screen and no flicker, but everything is in black and white.

When I went to put in the 20K Ohm resistor in R47, the only thing i could dig up was putting 2 10 K Ohm resistors in series. Could this cause this?

Everything else seems ok so far.

Off the motherboard was this:

Neo CDM4-2

Any suggestions folks. I really need help on this one.

Thanks!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I don't think that the 20k resistor is the reason for this.

Either you don't use a proper RGB/scart cable, or your TV isn't capable of displaying NTSC.

If you can, try it on another TV.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
You mean different cable pin configurations?

Hm, I only know one NTSC mode, 480x480 resolution, 60 Hz, 525 screen lines, shitty colors ;)

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Since I live in the United States, and I own a tv bought here, I can not see how it would not be capable of displaying NTSC.

Besides, why do you have to use a RGB/Scart cable?

Last time I checked, the majority of TV's sold in the US do not have theses hookups. Mine is like most higher end tv's, it has Composite, S-Video and Component hookups.

Any other suggestions?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Also what is the deal with R52?

Its apparent that NTSC consoles have a resistor in this place and PAL consoles don't, but what is the value of this resistor?

Also is it possible that a crystal needs to be replaced on the board of the machine?

I really don't want to have to purchase another machine, but it is looking like i might need to...