NFL Blitz 99 issues

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Okay, I have two NFL Blitz 99 boards now. The first one worked fine for several months before starting to freeze during the attract mode. I bought a second one, and hooked it up to the hard drive from the first one, and it seemed fine the first time I powered it on. Now, after leaving it on for longer and letting it run through the attract mode, it freezes or experiences a text glitch, similar to what the other one did.

Could my hard drive be the problem here? Am I just that unlucky that I've got two bad boards? Or should I look at other things such as voltage? (several other games have run in this cabinet for hours with no trouble whatsoever. I find an issue with the power supply rather hard to picture, but am open to ideas)

For what it's worth, I thought the first one had died due to the board being flexed. However, this second one has been babied in the time it's been in my possession - I kept it sitting flat, stored away safely, until I was able to mount the PCB on plywood.

I'm open to thoughts or suggestions - please let me know if you have any.

Thanks

-Collin

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Check the voltage to the hard drive, if it's good then you need to replace the hard drive. A lot of people are using flash drives instead now days, maybe that's the reason why.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
What should voltage to the HD be, and which pins of the HD power connector should I use to check?

Thanks James!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Should only be 5 pins I think. Doesn't an HD use both +5v and +12v?

mmsadda

10 Year Member
There's 4, I believe (could be 5)

My housemate is in Cleveland for the weekend - he's a big computer guy. I'll see if he knows when he gets back tomorrow night.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
The +5v probably needs to be adjusted since I had experienced similar issues with an Area 51: Site 4 hd in the past. If it continues to be an issue, you made need a new Hd or convert over to a flash drive as Xian Xi suggested. If the game is firing up properly at the start, that should rule out any main pcb issues.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Do you need a new boot ROM to convert to flash? My Blitz 99 refuses to work with a CF card - it hangs at the part where it's reading the HD Cache.

RJ

mmsadda

10 Year Member
The +5v probably needs to be adjusted since I had experienced similar issues with an Area 51: Site 4 hd in the past. If it continues to be an issue, you made need a new Hd or convert over to a flash drive as Xian Xi suggested. If the game is firing up properly at the start, that should rule out any main pcb issues.
Awesome. I don't have a multimeter handy (moved out on my own like a year ago, parents life a mile or two away so I can just borrow my dad's when I need until I find one cheap) so I'll borrow it tomorrow if I get a chance and see what the voltage looks like.

Thanks for the input!

Collin

mmsadda

10 Year Member
For a decent one? If so, I'll just pick one up there.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Just make sure that it is a digital meter and that it has a continuity test function.

mmsadda

10 Year Member

This turned out to be the issue. As the guys on KLOV explained to me, some of the Midway boards suck up more power (ones from certain manufacture locations are worse than others, due to different PCBs) Thanks so much for your help!

SnowKitty

n00b
little offtopic here, but didnt the NFL blitz games use a 3DFX GPU similar to the voodoo card?