KOFXIII ART GALORE

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Thank you, Ogura.

You're the best illustrator SNK ever had or even dreamed about!

I bow to your great art.

p_ash.png

p_kyo.png

p_takuma.png

p_hwa.png

p_elisabeth.png

TEAM WOMEN FIGHTERS

p_mai.png

p_king.png

p_yuri.png

TEAM YAGAMI

p_iori.png

p_vice.png

TEAM K'

p_kdash.png

p_maxima.png

p_kula.png

saner

Krauser's Henchman
thanks! this really is the best KOF art since 2000, or 96. :)

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
This is the best KOF art ever.

I don't know if anyone here is into fine arts studies, but I am.

The brushing job in this portraits is amazing, simply amazing.
This is not an hyperbol, I'm serious.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
I wish Yuri looked even a little bit like her portrait art.

This is not an hyperbol, I'm serious.

I suspect you don't know either the definition or the pronunciation of that word. Even if you don't intend it to be rhetorical, "best _____ ever" is pretty much the textbook definition of hyperbole, particularly when dealing with something as subjective as art appreciation.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member

I suspect you don't know either the definition or the pronunciation of that word. Even if you don't intend it to be rhetorical, "best _____ ever" is pretty much the textbook definition of hyperbole, particularly when dealing with something as subjective as art appreciation.

In my book, hyperbole is a rhetorical figure like a metaphorical exaggeration used to emphasize something. Like, I eat a very good ice cream and I say "whoa, this is the best ice cream ever!", which is something I can't know -for I've not tasted all ice creams in the history of the world. But if I say "whoa, this is the best ice cream I've ever tasted", that could or could not be an hyperbole. Same here, I'm not saying Ogura Eisuke is the best artist ever period. I'm saying he produced the best art SNK ever had. Which is subjective indeed, but not necessary an hyperbolic (rhetorical) statement. in fact, I'm serious when I say so. The way Ogura brush for chiaroscuro for both human skin and fabric is so amazing it really bring me the technique used by Italian late-Renaissance Mannerism, such as Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel ceiling on top. :buttrock:

Last edited:

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Agree with Shito, it is fucking sick. Looks like some of the NGBC and SVC art. Same artist that did the portraits for NGBC right, and some of the art for SVC (not the portraits - you know what I'm talking about).

For the SVC art, of course I mean this stuff.

goenitz-svc-big.jpg

svc-akuma.jpg

svc-chun-li.jpg

svc-demitri-maximoff.jpg

svc-terry-bogard.jpg

svc-m-bison.jpg

Last edited:

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member

yea, seeing the portrait art and then the sprite is disappointing.

love the fact hwai j has his liqour with him.
I wonder if he takes a drink as a win pose or a taunt.
or even as a special to power up his moves.
that would actually be pretty cool.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Yeah, this art is pretty damn good. Miles better than the super retarded crap that is KOF 2k1. Wow, that shit was awful.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
love the fact hwai j has his liqour with him.
I wonder if he takes a drink as a win pose or a taunt.
or even as a special to power up his moves.
that would actually be pretty cool.

Yeah, Hwa Jai has a 'drinking move' he uses to power-up and speed-up his moves.

That has been seen in a lot of vids from the beta since his debut. :)

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Yeah, this art is pretty damn good. Miles better than the super retarded crap that is KOF 2k1. Wow, that shit was awful.

No, it was not. It was Nona. Nona has a more radical style, he use to exaggerate individual traits of a character in order to emphasize his uniqueness. SVC art (see the wonderful Goenitz above) is also Nona's.

Most noticeably, the brushjob of Nona and Ogura are very similar, but Ougra is more 'conventional' in his character design, and he's also particularly capable of following a pre-set style not of his own. I.E. you can see that Ogura's women are very very different one from another. Or, if you go back and look to Ogura's portrait for NGBC you'll see each character someway retains the 'feel' of his original design, like Gekka characters looking a bit Tonko-like, etc. Ogura's personal style is way more subtle than Nona's. Finally, it's also to be said the Ogura showed a dramatic improvent this year. While his art technique is pretty much the same, KOFXII protraits are just way more 'dull' than KOFXIII.

With all this standing, you would understand why the key point is that even if both Nona and Ogura are top designers, the real genius has been to use Nona for sprite design, and Nona for the out-game art and portraits.

(at the moment, I would think Nona like some kind of 'senior' to Ogura, actually. The wapanese word for it is, of course, 'senpai'.)

Deuce

KOF2001's artwork was indefensible. Even SNKP/Eolith realized this and had new portraits done for the PS2 port. It wasn't "exaggerated," it was OFF-MODEL.

His 2002 work was a vast improvement, though.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
KOF2001's artwork was indefensible. Even SNKP/Eolith realized this and had new portraits done for the PS2 port. It wasn't "exaggerated," it was OFF-MODEL.

your opinion is wrong

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
For the record, you're defending this:

kof01-quote3.png

I'll defend that, too. No joke, I fucking love the 2001 an-game art. I have no idea why some people are so offended by an exaggerated art style. That picture is fucking awesome, and I love the complete absence of black lines in the art.

It wasn't "exaggerated," it was OFF-MODEL.

It's a game, not a cartoon. There is no "off-model".

Deuce

It's a game, not a cartoon. There is no "off-model".

That's a very weak and relentlessly pedantic argument. The term may be central to animation, but the core concept can apply to any visually-rendered character.

Nona's KOF2001 artwork looks like bad fan art.

rarehero

20 Year Member
Yeah, Hwa Jai has a 'drinking move' he uses to power-up and speed-up his moves.

That has been seen in a lot of vids from the beta since his debut. :)

I think one of the reasons why I come here
is so I can get second hand information so I don't have to
get off my behind and find it out myself.
especially since I could go either way about caring about the subject half the time.
but that tidbit is pretty cool.
thanks shito.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
That's a very weak and relentlessly pedantic argument.

No, you're describing your dumb and out of place 'off-model' complaint there...which does NOT apply to "any visually-rendered character".

Which one of these is off-model? Be sure to notice the wildly different proportions and body types, shapes of the heads, size of the eyes, and other differences:
816_the_Spider%20Man1.jpeg

USM104VAR.jpg

Splash1Shot.gif

Spider-Man001Green.jpg

gatta_nera_4.jpg

13162991_1.jpg

Answer: none of them.

Or, which one of these pictures of Terry Bogard is "off-model"? Again, notice different proportions, facial features, etc.:

terryex22.jpg

gamelosofy.com.wp-content.uploads.classic-zone-wallpaper-terry-bogard.jpg

capsnk-terry-bogard1.jpg

terry2001.jpg

george_clooney.jpg

Again, none of them.

rarehero

20 Year Member

I was floored by the 02 artwork.
it was good enough for a die hard shinkiro fan like me to do a double take.
and about the 01 art,
the ingame was horrendous,
but the 01 character art for the game was pretty alright,
different, but good and unique.

Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

Mega Shock!!
wow.....definitely an upgrade compared to the 2001 character arts....haha.....I honestly thought it was a bootleg at first.

Wheres the KIM art??