PS2 KOF2002 Ultimate Match Tougeki

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
A new fighter named "Nameless" also joins the cast. The "Tougeki" version of KOF 2002 UM is a port of the coin-op rebalancing of the game where infinites are dashed away along with damage scaling. Similar to the original release, the Neo Geo version of KOF 2002 is included as a bonus

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
So this is basicall a rebalanced version of 2002 UM?

I'm in. Loved 2002 UM and a rebalanced version would be fun to tool around with, especially at $33 bucks.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
This is a rare example of SNKP doing something cool for their fans.

I wonder if this will be the version released on Xbox Live.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Still waiting for a US release of UM.

Only have a BC 60GB ps3 so I have no means of playing an import...

Maybe Ignition will put this out...

I'd pay 30 for it.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I'm hoping this version is what we see on XBLA, with netcode that is as responsive as what I've heard SS Sen has.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
SNKP+Good Netcode?

I know, I know.

The thing about SNK IPs is that I am so invested as a fan of them (this will be the second time I've bought 2002 UM, and the third when it hits for XBLA) that I am always hoping for the best. I am also a Cubs fan and that's how I grew upm, so that sort of hopeless eternal optimism will always be inside of me.

I haven't tested Sen's netcode yet, mostly because even though I own the game I am too busy playing other things and never see myself playing it online against others. It's not the kind of game I'd play competitively because I don't care for the gameplay to such a degree that I feel the need to test myself against others, and especially not in pickups.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'm excited, I like the decisions made on this as far as tweaking goes.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,

Most likely, if only because the arcade revision was using PC-based hardware, which would make for an easier port to the 360.

Wish this was coming to PSN, though.

Kim Kaphwan

Member,
20 Year Member
Just pre-ordered it. $33 for a rebalanced 2k2 seems fair. It's also good to know there featuring this game at Tougeki's Super Battle Opera. Shit is going to be hype.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Most likely, if only because the arcade revision was using PC-based hardware, which would make for an easier port to the 360.

Wish this was coming to PSN, though.

At least you have XBL. There's that option for you. I don't see the point in owning both the 360 and the PSN, so I'm stuck with the inferior console when it comes to stuff like this.

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
I guess I'm buying two games this year now.

Haven't bought a game in almost 3 years, and now this...

There's no way I can pass on this.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I'll have to look at the execution before making the purchase. If it's as good as Sam Sho Anthology, I'm in. But if it's like SNK Arcade Classics Vol.1, I'd pass.

Deuce

I'll have to look at the execution before making the purchase. If it's as good as Sam Sho Anthology, I'm in. But if it's like SNK Arcade Classics Vol.1, I'd pass.

It's not a Terminal Reality release (which both of the titles you mentioned were, FYI). All of the Japanese single-game KOF home releases have been developed in-house.

Silky Johnson

Zero's Tailor
If it's the arcade release version, then it means we won't have 3D stages and remastered music, right?

Or am i wrong?

Deuce

If it's the arcade release version, then it means we won't have 3D stages and remastered music, right?

Or am i wrong?

Probably will have. The arcade version was on newer hardware, still PC based. KOF98UM arcade on Type-X1 still had the music, at least (which is the only reason it was so big). I'd imagine the PS2 rerelease will likely still have the new soundtrack.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
This is a rare example of SNKP doing something cool for their fans.

Yeah, this is good news.

We need more rebalanced games if anyone outside of asia is to take snkp seriously.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Yeah, this is good news.

We need more rebalanced games if anyone outside of asia is to take snkp seriously.

Given the sales figures of their recent big releases, I'd say Asians aren't taking them seriously either.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
any word on this supporting progressive scan?

xi did but i dont know about any of the others.

wish this would just come to 360 or ps3 here. hopefully if its released on xbla or psn its not stripped down and messed up like 98 was.

Kim Kaphwan

Member,
20 Year Member
any word on this supporting progressive scan?

xi did but i dont know about any of the others.

wish this would just come to 360 or ps3 here. hopefully if its released on xbla or psn its not stripped down and messed up like 98 was.

98UM JPN supported progressive scan.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
It's not a Terminal Reality release (which both of the titles you mentioned were, FYI). All of the Japanese single-game KOF home releases have been developed in-house.

Perhaps while I'm importing this title, I should try to find the Japanese copy of the SNK Arcade Classics Vol.1 as well if it means all the bugs and glitches are artifacts of the localization.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
2002UM has progressive scan support as well.

I am sure it will have the same backgrounds and arranged music that the vanilla release got.

Will probably get this even though I don't really need to, what with the XBLA release coming, and I barely ever touched 2002UM last year since friends just didn't care about it. :(

Deuce

Perhaps while I'm importing this title, I should try to find the Japanese copy of the SNK Arcade Classics Vol.1 as well if it means all the bugs and glitches are artifacts of the localization.

No, they were developed by Terminal Reality. Not just localized.