Problem with new monitor

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I recently purchased a 24.8" tri res flat screen monitor. I installed it in my 4 slot cab. I turned it on and did the initial setup for the picture and everything seemed fine. The problem I have though is that everytime I turn the cab off and on, the picture is always messed up and I have to play with the settings again to fix it. Anyone know what the problem could be? Is there a setting I have to adjust? I don't want to have to set it up everytime I turn the machine on. Other than that, the picture looks great. :scratch:

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
What 'settings' specifically are getting thrown out of wack each power cycle?
Is it just your v and h sync or brightness and contrast (etc) as well?

pipes

It's the vertical and horizontal settings that get thrown off. The brightness and contrast are okay.

I am no expert but I am will to bet that when you turn it off it cuts all power, similar to unplugging the unit. Most of the time these things are shut off they are still plugged in and have power to keep the settings as is.

That's my guess :)

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
I recently purchased a 24.8" tri res flat screen monitor. I installed it in my 4 slot cab. I turned it on and did the initial setup for the picture and everything seemed fine. The problem I have though is that everytime I turn the cab off and on, the picture is always messed up and I have to play with the settings again to fix it. Anyone know what the problem could be? Is there a setting I have to adjust? I don't want to have to set it up everytime I turn the machine on. Other than that, the picture looks great. :scratch:

What's the make and model of the monitor?

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
When you made the adjustments, did you make them on the pots remote board or was it on some on screen adjustment menu? I think Danox574 had one of these put in his Aero City cabs a while back.

pipes

The adjustments are made on the remote board. Any thoughts on what it could be?

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Check the molex connector on the remote board and the ribbon cable going back to the chassis. Check if the molex on the chassis hasn't come off slightly.

pipes

why dont you call nieman? theyll be able to help for sure

I called Nieman and the owner Rick suggested something. I actually got the same suggestion from grantspain on this forum. They said to try connecting the two sync wires together (white and yellow). Right now the yellow is not connected at all. Rick said he hasn't heard of this happening too often and isn't sure if that will fix the problem. Since it doesn't seem like a definite solution I was wondering if anyone else might of had experience with this and may be able to help. I will try tonight and see if that works.

Check the molex connector on the remote board and the ribbon cable going back to the chassis. Check if the molex on the chassis hasn't come off slightly.

I will check the connector tonight when I get home.

Thanks for the help guys.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Some monitors require a considerable warm-up time before the picture output stabilizes. Once you turn on the monitor, observe it for some time without touching the adjustment and see if the picture quality changes with time.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Some monitors require a considerable warm-up time before the picture output stabilizes. Once you turn on the monitor, observe it for some time without touching the adjustment and see if the picture quality changes with time.

I've never had that happen though with v and h sync settings. Seems like maybe something is off with the neckboard. When I had similar issues, it seemed like it was the pots that were going funky.

pipes

I had some help from another member on this board, grantspain. He told me to try joining the yellow and white sync wires together. So I did. And it worked! Everything is perfect. I'm glad it wasn't a major issue.

Keep in mind I know absolutely nothing about monitors, arcade cabs, wiring, etc... The first time I saw the inside of a cab was this past January when I bought my 4 slot ver.3. So, the guy I bought the monitor from explained to me how to connect everything and told me to leave the yellow wire loose (since there is no yellow wire on the harness). Made perfect sense to me. And that was the problem.

Anyways, after 3 months of hard work, the restoration is done. The last thing I had to do was to figure out how to get this monitor working. Everything turned out better than I ever could have expected. It was in rough shape and now it looks absolutely brand new. Maybe I'll post some pics one day. Thanks to grantspain and everyone for the help.

Last edited: