Behaviour of a suicided CPS2 board.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Think me SSF2X has bit the dust, I thought it was the cab at first but I put something else in it and its fine, I've tried different mobos with the game, and its definitely the game not working.

I thought I'd get a solid blue or garbled screen on suicide though, but this just seems to work sometimes and not others, it was working fine today and then slowly started working less and less, i.e not coming on and just doing nothing on cab power on, and just now I thought it had come back because it booted up and got through most of the intro, and then the screen went black again, and I coined up a couple times, and then tried coining up again, and it wouldn't.

R.I.P best game ever.

Has anyone got a couple of screen display images of a suicided board so I can check? Or any ideas?

Cheers.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Open the board and look for cold solder joints, also pull the program roms and do a checksums

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I don't have anything to plug the roms into in order to checksum them. Could they fail just like that? Interesting.

Its been fine since I bought it about 6 months ago, I probably haven't played it in the last month due to not having a 6 button cab, but .. but sigh :crying:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I don't have anything to plug the roms into in order to checksum them. Could they fail just like that? Interesting.

Its been fine since I bought it about 6 months ago, I probably haven't played it in the last month due to not having a 6 button cab, but .. but sigh :crying:

Oh yeah they can go bad just like that, but its a uncommon occurance as saying you can have a heart attack just like that, it only takes one bad bit to cause random faults. Don't know how many times I have had good battery powered cps2 boards not power up because of a bad program rom. This may or may not be your problem

Another personal experience of my, is a customer who bought a cps2 board from me damaged it by putting it in a cab which had its 5 volt rail to high

Dude I have cps2 boards in the scrap bin that have bad mask rom for unknown reason.

Last edited:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Talking about 5 volt rail too high, I posted earlier about my new E2's voltage being 5.65 volts not under load, and I can't adjust it any lower, when a board is connected and running its at 5.17V which is the lowest I can get it. I did have a hunch the cab did kill the board because it was fine beforehand.

I have zero 2 alpha in there now, if that fucking dies too I can blame it on the cab I guess. sigh.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Talking about 5 volt rail too high, I posted earlier about my new E2's voltage being 5.65 volts not under load, and I can't adjust it any lower, when a board is connected and running its at 5.17V which is the lowest I can get it. I did have a hunch the cab did kill the board because it was fine beforehand.

I have zero 2 alpha in there now, if that fucking dies too I can blame it on the cab I guess. sigh.

Go see what is the voltage drop across your alpha right now if any. Different boards will produced different load voltages.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Yeah, that was with a single slot MVS so later on I'll measure it on CPS2 and see what it does I guess. Thing is the +5v pot on the PSU is down as low as it can go anyway so I can't adjust it any lower.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
My guess is a bad program rom like mainman said. I've had to burn new ones lots of times. Like he said mask roms will go bad too. I've replaced some with burned roms before. If it was suicided you would just have a solid colored screen and no booting at all. Definately check your program roms.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Thats the thing, sometimes I do get a solid coloured screen but its maybe a very dark blue, almost black even.

Hmmh.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Thats the thing, sometimes I do get a solid coloured screen but its maybe a very dark blue, almost black even.

Hmmh.

Some of my CPS2 games did that but they still booted.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Well I popped it open (for the first time as the seals were still on it, clean as a whistle inside, no battery leakage or corrosion, I pressed the roms into their sockets and screwed it all back together. Tested it and:

ssf2x-alive.jpg

What the fuck, I don't get CPS2 sometimes, give me MVS any damn day.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Look for cold solder joint(s) on the b board inter connectors especially, go inside the test menu and run a system check of the program roms, make sure the boards are seated correctly.

Your board does seem to behaving suicidal, sometimes it wants to play other its just seem to be left alone. You might need to try electroshock by turning up the juice:lolz:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I'll have a rom test later and see what it does. cheers.

Will give it a few hours of play tomorrow and see if it lives also. Will try it first thing in the morning.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Its always good to remember the following. CPS2 gives no warning of suicide. If the game works one day not the next and then again the day after you can be 100% sure its not a suicide issue. More than likly its a connection issue between the 'a and 'b' boards.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I don't know anymore, I plug it into the CPS2 A board that is mounted in the cab, and boom nothing. now its fucked again :crying:

I'll try it in my mvs cab tomorrow, but theres something wrong with it I reckon.

Doesn't make sense because I tried it a few times yesterday and today while it was working again, I dunno maybe the connectors are shot, not sure I can be arsed to buy it again.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I have a Dimahoo board that does the same thing. Shit's just random. Swap the A board with the one from Progear and still nothing while Progear always works.

It does make me think maybe the contacts on Dimahoo are going bad like maybe it's been swapped too many times.

I dunno.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
If the plastic housing pieces that hold the board in place inside the cart are damaged then you'll have this type of problem.

Take the cart out of the case and plug it in. If it works then you have a cartridge shell issue.

If it doesn't then you have a bad chip or socket somewhere.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Some ops duct taped the cart to the motherboard, other ops got rid of the case completely to do away with connection issues. Try iy without the b-board case.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Good plan guys, will try it later on today. :)

The thing is it was clipped to its A board with the clips for months and working fine, and then started cocking up while still clipped, so hmm.

Starting to hate CPS2 oh yes. MVS is far easier to deal with and just better overall :D

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Holy crap I'm an idiot, measured the +5 with CPS2 connected and it was 4.3V, its a wonder z2a was working.

anyway erm, crisis over, everything is working fine :emb:

Just need to replace the batteries on these two now and all done.

sigh. lols

Last edited:

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Holy crap I'm an idiot, measured the +5 with CPS2 connected and it was 4.3V, its a wonder z2a was working.

sigh. lols
That's pretty wild that the game was running that far below +5. At least you found the problem and all is well. Good job :)

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I only lowered it so much because it was measuring 5.17 at absolute minimum, with my 1 slot. oh well I guess you learn some things the hard (easy) way.

*facepalm*

quite surprised the battery is still trucking after 16 yrs . hah

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member

sigh. lols

come on kernow

I guaranty if the super turbo you have was a true blue version with the massive banks of 4 meg eproms instead of mask roms, it would have never powered up with just 4.3v