Power Supply Questions

SNK-Jorge

n00b
I have been working on my 4-slot 25 big red recently and have noticed how quiet the sound is, and how dim the monitor is. I was cleaning it out today and decided to test the power supply and got 120 coming in (normal) but 5.04 and 10.20 respectively coming out of the power supply. i know that the cab needs to be at 5 and 12 and was wondering if the discrepancy could be causing some of the problems. I am pretty sure it is about time I did a cap-kit and if I were to do that, I may even toss a new fly back on it, seeing as they are so inexpensive, but I was still wondering is the power supply could also be causing some of this... Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this!

-Jorge!

SNK-Jorge

n00b
Wow, I was really hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this...:annoyed:

Anyway, I retested the power supply and got the same numbers. I set up a mirror in front of the monitor and started really trying to get the best colors I could from the monitor and ended up with a decent but still dim image. I was adjusting the colors with the tinted protective monitor glass removed, so I could see the colors better. After getting the most acceptable colors out of the monitor, I noticed that I was able to get the colors I wanted by cranking the contrast and black levels up on the pots located under the control panel. Unfortunately, I could get the colors to be bright, but the focus was terrible and any adjustments I made via the pots on the neck-board or fly-back wouldn't improve the focus problem, so I returned it to the best settings I could get and replaced the monitor overlay. Obviously it was just darker and with the glare the glass created, made the games near unplayable.

I have decided to pony up the cash for the power supply to remove that as a possibility and and to hopefully help me track down why the sound is so low. Once again, any insight would be greatly appreciated as I am kinda learning as I go. Luckily, I have been reading quite a bit and am picking up a lot of useful info. Thanks for reading!

-Jorge!

Last edited:

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Power supply won't affect your monitor. You need a cap kit and if your monitor won't get brighter, a flyback.

If you sound is low and the volume control has no effect then you probably need to cap the sound section of the pcb.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Power supply won't affect your monitor. You need a cap kit and if your monitor won't get brighter, a flyback.

If you sound is low and the volume control has no effect then you probably need to cap the sound section of the pcb.
Are you sure? I would have thought the audio section only getting 10v would be more than enough to make it very quiet.

Those massive PC-style power supplies are shit, unless you love hacking wiring harnesses. Use a standard arcade one.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
5.04 and 10.20 respectively coming out of the power supply.
-Jorge!

Measure the 5 volts at the mobo not the psu as there will be voltage dropped in the harness. 5 volts at the psu could end up as 4.5 volts at the board.