Phantom 1 Trouble

Tom

The Frog of Genjuro,
I recently bought a Phantom-1 and I'm trying to play ROTD and all I get are blocks and it looks very blurry. I think it might be my adapter, but I got KOF2k2 AES to work, but when I put in the Phantom I'm not even getting a real picture just broken up graphics.

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
In all honesty I'm guessing you have a bootleg of Rage of the Dragons, as I had the same problem when someone tried to stick me with a Rage bootleg.

You could try cleaning the connectors but I have a feeling it won't help.

Tom

The Frog of Genjuro,
My power supply has probs and I know I inserted the mvs into the phantom properly. So I'm thinking it might be that. Can I get something to replace the power supply at radio shack?

SSS

neo retired
Tom:
My power supply has probs and I know I inserted the mvs into the phantom properly. So I'm thinking it might be that. Can I get something to replace the power supply at radio shack?
Yes and no. What power supply do you have? (should say PRO POW #) Voltage Amps? Your power supply is most likely negative polarity. I think radio shack only sells positive, but you can make your own.

I took a positive 5V adapter I had for something else that fit the Neo. I spliced the wires and then switched them. So the polarity changed. It worked well.

If you are getting a radio shack adapter that has switchable tips. You might be able to use it for the neo by putting the correct sized tip on the adapter backwards.

<small>[ July 22, 2003, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: SamuraiShodownSensei ]</small>

Tom

The Frog of Genjuro,
I have a US power supply. It says Pro Pow UL. The input is 120v~60Hz 22W.

SSS

neo retired
Tom:
I have a US power supply. It says Pro Pow UL. The input is 120v~60Hz 22W.
Sorry, I should have said output (the input just means a standard US outlet). I have the adapter you are talking about. It outputs 5volts 3amps, negative polarity. If you can find a positive 5v adapter that fits the neo geo, try switching wires or the tip so the polarity changes. It doesn't have to be exactly 3amps. The amps can be a little less, because the Neo Geo doesn't draw 3 amps, especially a regular homecart system.

Xenvu

Zero's Secretary
I had some probs with my phantom too, had to pretty much jam the cart down onto the phantom and just do trial and error until it worked. I noticed when I didn't have the game all the way on the converter the picture would display but the sound was garbled, maybe it could be that its just not down on the slot all the way? Hopefully its just this and nothing more serious.

Tom

The Frog of Genjuro,
Xenvu:
I had some probs with my phantom too, had to pretty much jam the cart down onto the phantom and just do trial and error until it worked. I noticed when I didn't have the game all the way on the converter the picture would display but the sound was garbled, maybe it could be that its just not down on the slot all the way? Hopefully its just this and nothing more serious.
The Phantom fits into my AES fine, but the cart on top seems to be very lose no matter what I don't want to force b/c I don't want to damage the mvs cart.

firebomber

Astra Superstar
If the cart feels loose in the phantom then you need to push it in more. On a brand new phantom it's really, really hard to get the cart on but after a few times it will become easier.

Anyway, I get the same problem when I don't have the cart all the way on. Pushing the cart in more should fix it.

Tom

The Frog of Genjuro,
I think the contacts on Phantom are dirty is there anyway to really get them clean. I think this might be the issue since my AES games work fine. Any suggestions?

Shred

Bead Banger
SamuraiShodownSensei:
Tom:
Yes and no. What power supply do you have? (should say PRO POW #) Voltage Amps? Your power supply is most likely negative polarity. I think radio shack only sells positive, but you can make your own.

I took a positive 5V adapter I had for something else that fit the Neo. I spliced the wires and then switched them. So the polarity changed. It worked well.

If you are getting a radio shack adapter that has switchable tips. You might be able to use it for the neo by putting the correct sized tip on the adapter backwards.
The adapters at Radio Shack with the switchable tips are made to be reversable. This is so you can also change the tip polatiry to match just like the tip size.