Two Neo Geo questions

Cros

n00b
1) About Neo Geo power supply

I read on an earlier post that a US power supply will not work on a Japanese Neo Geo. I understand the difference US and Japanese voltages but I still have a question.

Does this mean the power supply only brings the power to the unit? For some reason I thought the power supply converted the voltage to what the unit needed. If this was true then an American power supply could be used, as it would convert US voltage to what the Neo needed.

Could anybody clear this up for me?

2) About serial numbers and stereo/s-video mods

While browsing around on e-bay I read in a product description that Neos with higher serial numbers output a better video signal.

What exactly is the difference between lower and higher serial number Neo Geos? Also, would a s-video mod be affected by these differences?

Any info would be appreciated.

“I do as I please.”

Hi,the older systems need 5V at 3A,the newer systems need 10V at 1A,the AC adaptor converts the AC down to the requiered DC,so if you use a U.S. power supply on a Japanese system there should be no problem;as long as you use an older AC adaptor for an older system and a newer AC adaptor for a newer system.I have both a newer and older sytem and yes the Video output looks sharper on the newer sytem,I do not know about the S-video,I have not performed the mod yet,hope this answers some of your questions.

[This message has been edited by neogarycoleman (edited October 23, 2000).]

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
All in all, I would recommend a system in the 60K to 180K serial range as the best for SVideo. Even the older boards with or without the daughtercard are real nice for SVid. The latest boards are nice, but because SNK tried to clean up the composite picture, the pixels are a lot sharper (easier to notice) in SVideo.

Jeff

JRock917

, ,
I have a power supply which is SNK made that I use on my neo cd system which can run at 120V or 240V, depending on where you are. It has a foreign plug, so I had to get an adapter for a US outlet, but it works great. I dont know that they made such an adapter for the neo cart system, but such a contraption might help with any power supply issues you have.

Mr. Kurtz,have you noticed that the RGB output on the newer boards also looks pixely?,not only that but I notice the colors are not as bright,am I the only one who notices this?

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Yea
frown.gif
Sucks eh?

That's why I say the older models give a nice (tighter) picture.

Jeff

Originally posted by neogarycoleman:
Mr. Kurtz,have you noticed that the RGB output on the newer boards also looks pixely?,not only that but I notice the colors are not as bright,am I the only one who notices this?

Cros

n00b
Thanks for all the info!

I'm looking to buy a cart system but I want to get all the facts first.

Is there anything else I should be aware of?

JRock917

, ,
I would strongly recommend getting a Japanese cart system; dont get a US one with all of that censored crap, unless you need or want that for some reason.