real bout 2

$CASHMONEY$

Edo Express Delivery Guy
just picked up a copy of this the other day... i had pretty high expectations after real bout special..

pretty fucking good game... don't think its better than special... but its fast as hell, definately keeps you on your toes...

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
Real Bout 2 and Last Blade 2 are possibly my two favourite games by SNK. It's a pity King of Fighters or Samurai Shodown get all the love....

I think Real Bout 2 is better than Special in a lot of ways. They finally got the Linesway system right in 2 and way too many characters in RBS had the staple A,B,f+C,b+C,Special move combination.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The more I played RB2, the more I liked it than Special. It's not even close for me, anymore.

$CASHMONEY$

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Real Bout 2 and Last Blade 2 are possibly my two favourite games by SNK. It's a pity King of Fighters or Samurai Shodown get all the love....

I think Real Bout 2 is better than Special in a lot of ways. They finally got the Linesway system right in 2 and way too many characters in RBS had the staple A,B,f+C,b+C,Special move combination.

i do agree with the linesway sentiment here... its just what it needs to be... curious why they left it out of some of the stages though..

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
i do agree with the linesway sentiment here... its just what it needs to be... curious why they left it out of some of the stages though..

Wall combos!

If you perform a linesway attack on your opponent (an attack which knocks them into the background). They will ricochet of the wall in the background and fly into the foreground for a free juggle.

A combo with Terry for example would be:

A, B, f+C, Burn Knuckle/Overheat Geyser or
f+B, Burn Knuckle/Overheat Geyser.

Attacks that wouldn't normally connect will, due to the wall being in place. There's a lot to experiment with. There are also tech roll traps in this game. But that's another story.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Yeah, RB2 has a nicer pace to it than RBS. The combos in it are insane and there are some good changes. The only thing that I have trouble with is Duck King and Blue Mary's DMs. I just have trouble pulling them off in a practical way. Other than that, great game. I did like the option of having EX versions of Andy, Tung, Mary and Billy in RBS though.

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
Yeah, RB2 has a nicer pace to it than RBS. The combos in it are insane and there are some good changes. The only thing that I have trouble with is Duck King and Blue Mary's DMs. I just have trouble pulling them off in a practical way. Other than that, great game. I did like the option of having EX versions of Andy, Tung, Mary and Billy in RBS though.

What issues are you having with Duck? The best time to perform his classic DM (the Break Spiral) is after:
f,f,df+C Duck King is invulnerable during this slide. If you time it to land directly next to your opponent it's a perfect setup.
d+A,d+C An easy setup when applying pressure. Follow with the Break Spiral after the slide.
b+A~(super cancel) When close, cancel the standard overhead with the Break Spiral.

Of course none of this helps if your main issue is not being able to perform SPD+BC.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
What issues are you having with Duck? The best time to perform his classic DM (the Break Spiral) is after:
f,f,df+C Duck King is invulnerable during this slide. If you time it to land directly next to your opponent it's a perfect setup.
d+A,d+C An easy setup when applying pressure. Follow with the Break Spiral after the slide.
b+A~(super cancel) When close, cancel the standard overhead with the Break Spiral.

Of course none of this helps if your main issue is not being able to perform SPD+BC.

Duck King: Doing the starter f, d, df + K and actually catching the opponent with it, then timing the hcf + K+S or others when it does hit. I guess when you corner the enemy and doesn't expect it you can pull it off. I just never could use it right in a real situation against the CPU.

Blue Mary: P Power - Start with f, hcf + S, the gauge starts draining. Then you frantically try to get the enemy with the Vertical Arrow f, d, df + P along with the Mary Snatchbreaker f, d, df + K and so on, it just seems unnatural pulling it off as well.

Other than that, I like all the changes done to the game.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I favor rbs gameplay.
but god I love the newcomers in rb2.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Seconded. Rick is for sure my main. Hell, I'll say he is my favorite chara to use period. Well, I split most of my SNK time between Rick when RealBouting and Dong when MOTWing. GET IN THE RING! fucking awsome, that.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The ringout system is what I like about it over FFS. It's not like SC or BAT in that you can accidentally fall outside the ring, but rather something that takes some effort to achieve and yet still enough to be capable of turning the tides in an instant.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
My only gripe with this game is that Hon Fu's dragonpunch doesn't knock standing opponents down...annoying as fuck since it leaves you wide open on the way down.

My favorite FF game, bar none. RBS is pretty but that fucking announcer...:annoyed:

HEY DOOOOOOD
RELAX GUY
CHOOSE UR FAVRITE CHARACTUURRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
I hadn't played either in a while....so I put them both in the other day with the persuasion that Special was better than 2. It didn't take long to realize that RB2 was far superior IMO...

MattMan

Galford's Armourer
RB2 is by far my favorite, granted I have not played special in a very long time so I might be a little bias. I still need to get my hands on a copy of RB2, my campus activities center had a big red with it and it saw very regular use.

rarehero

20 Year Member
yea, I agree with right said bigfred.
plus, the direction they took real bout in their last days anyways was
motw's which was a neat game,
but was a totally different direction than the other real bout series.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Without the line sway system, never mind RB, MotW isn't even a proper FF game except by storyline.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Even with its changes MOTW still flies the FF banner high. Linesway was generally disregarded by high level FF players anyways, and a few stages in RB2 don't allow it. Its a neat feature for screwing around, but it didn't lead to building (m)any victory strategies. I also love that MOTW returned to the FF2/S/3 control scheme and removed the RB series Dial-A-Combo system. I like the RB combo system, but it didn't feel nearly as hardcore as the oldstyle games.

<3 RB2, wish there were more players.

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
Even with its changes MOTW still flies the FF banner high. Linesway was generally disregarded by high level FF players anyways, and a few stages in RB2 don't allow it. Its a neat feature for screwing around, but it didn't lead to building (m)any victory strategies. I also love that MOTW returned to the FF2/S/3 control scheme and removed the RB series Dial-A-Combo system. I like the RB combo system, but it didn't feel nearly as hardcore as the oldstyle games.

<3 RB2, wish there were more players.

Feint combo cancelling was introduced in RB2. It was a system which MotW improved upon and kind of enforced. Lineswaying is what makes FF unique, as well as background/character interaction. MotW has FF characters and continues the story, but doesn't play like an FF game. In it's own right it's a great 2D game.

RB2 gameplay involved pursuits, wake up attacks, overhead/linesway special move cancelling, tech rolls, forced cross-ups and just frames. Add lineswaying to this and the system takes on another level. Geese just doesn't feel the same without his pursuit and in this game it is a major part of his game. MotW barely touches on these elements. It's just a different game altogether. The Dial-A-Combo system was toned down in RB2 and some characters (Tung) for example didn't have many strings to work with.

I guess when it comes to lineswaying, you have to look at what this has achieved historically. Some characters were given specials which can only work in this type of gameplay. Memorable attacks were Franco's Weaving Blow(lol) in RB1, Mai/Andy's Phantom Shiranui in RB1, Duck King's Cross Head Spin in RBS, Sokaku's Vortex Inferno in RBS, Wolfgang's counter in RBS and Terry's Round Wave and Bashing Sway in any of the RB games. Terry's linesway attacks were actually ported to KoF and many other incarnations but they are pointless in these games, it's an RB thing.

Last edited:

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I think RBFFS is easier to just jump in and play if you don't have much Fatal Fury experience. It seems easier to bust out random combos.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
I like both games but prefer special more because of the stage intros and although very minor I dont like after winning the first round it goes straight into the second round without a win pose in RB2 but nonetheless it plays and looks great

rarehero

20 Year Member
forgot about the winposes.
and I think there's no win qoutes either in 1p vs cpu.

I think someone justified it as it being more kinetic and stopping less.
but I kind of think it's a little lazy.

Last edited: