modded ps2 help

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
alright, so I just bought a modded ps2 off of the forums here. When I first got it I tried a regular US disc, and it worked, then I tried an import and a burned game and it said "please insert a playstation 1 or playstation 2 format disc".

so I took apart the ps2 and checked the wires on the modchip. sure enough one of them was off. I successfully soldered the little devil back on, then took it in my room, booted it up, and got like 6 discs to work in a row. I thought it was fixed from then on.

I took it back in the other room and all I did was tighten down the screws on the bottom on the console, ok. thats all I did. I try it again, and the freaking "please insert a playstation 1 or playstation 2 format disc" message came up again and again.

I take it back apart and the wire I just soldered is still connected! I can't see any other wires that are off.
-=-=-=-=-

ok, here's the thing now.... regular US Ps2 (non burned) games work 100%. when I stick one in and turn it on, it comes on right away and boots.

when I put an import in, or a burned game and turn on the system... nothing shows up on the screen. The fan is working, but no picture, UNLESS I hit reset once, then stuff appears on the screen, BUT the same "please insert a playstation 1 or playstation 2 format disc" comes up.

It always does this too. It always takes two times before I see anything on the screen with imports or burned games, but only 1 time with regular games.
-=-=-=-=-=

I'm trying to figure out what this means, but would like some help!

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
A lot of modchips do require you to press the power/reset button twice to boot copies.

Try turning on/reset the machine, wait about a second, then press reset again.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Could be a region issue. You should be able to check your chip settings by holding down a certain button combination during boot to get to the chip menu and make sure things are esetup in there properly.

It's a pain when you have it set to play PAL with some european imports and then forgot to switch back for US games.

Worth a check probably.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
One of my modded ps2's does the same thing sometimes, but thats cause my laser is super weak and it has problems reading cdr's. Regular ps2 discs it reads fine but with cdr's its hit or miss. I have hd loader so I run most of my ps2 games off the hd.

Your laser might need to replaced or recalibrated. If you google ps2 laser replacment, you might find places that still do this.

Some mod chips do require that you press the power button a certain amount of times to read ps1 and ps2 back ups.

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
thanks for your responses so far. waiting a sec, then rebooting over and over only gets me the "insert disc message".

xiao_haozi - what button combiation do you have to use to get to your chip settings? I've heard something like this before, and have been trying random combinations, but no dice yet.

I'm pretty sure the chip is a matrix actel ASIC plus - something something - F.

RAZO - good call on the laser thing, it does sound.. weak sometimes. I was planning on ordering a new laser anyways, just to know it's good for a while.

if you have a button combination suggestion I could try let me know!

thanks guys.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I also have a matrix chip and like I said before, I have the same problems your having.

As far as playing ps2 back up games, I don't have to press anything. It should play Ps2 original or back ups on power up. The only time I press the power button 3-4 times is to play ps1 back ups.

My laser also sounds very weak. Sounds like a squealing mouse instead of that strong bass sound. I'm pretty sure me and you need our lasers replaced or repaired. Some people may argue with me about this, but I think cdr's kill the lasers life. I also asked somone who does mods and repairs on ps2's and they said the same thing.

I'm not going to bother replacing mine because it still runs original games fine, and hd loader is a life saver, but since you want to run back ups. I would look into it most def.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Yeah RAZO is probalby closer to the problem.

But for future reference, you can check for your chip online.

I honestly can't recall off the top of my head here at work.... but I THINK it was triangle or something.

But if you can google your chip you should find some info with all the different combos like turning off chip on boot, getting menu, etc etc...

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
alright thanks guys. last quick note.. I don't know why this would do anything really, but when I unplug the cord from the power supply, and plug it back in.. it ends up working. it has everytime i've tried it.. idk what thats about, new laser coming anyways.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Is this a slim model? I have a phat ps2 model. After I shut off mine on the power button, I always shut off the ps2 in the back on the power switch, but I really don't think that matters. I also have another problem with my modded ps2. Sometimes if I start it up without a controller hooked up, the matrix screen on start up will lock up and I have to reset the system, but this only happens every once and awhile. Not a big deal.

I have another modded ps2 with a mars chip and that runs without any problems.

I would go ahead and try replacing that laser and if that doesn't help, then it might be the chip settings.

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
yeah mine is the slim model. i've tried every button combination I could think of and can't get to the matrix screen to show up at all. I don't know if you have to hold the buttons before I power on, or right after I do.. still it doesn't seem to do anything. I ordered a new laser anyways. hopefully that'll work. That unlplugging on the power thing I mentioned earlier was a fluke anyways, it worked a few times, then nothing now.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yea dude, I figured it was something that was not going to be constant. Maybe you have a older or never version of the matrix chip and it does not show the matrix screen on start up. I wouldn't worry about it though. If those back ups work on the system, then that means the chip is working fine. :)

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
thanks for your responses so far. waiting a sec, then rebooting over and over only gets me the "insert disc message".
You don't reboot it over and over, if you press reset twice quickly enough it'll only reboot once.

I was probably exaggerating a bit by saying a second, you press the button twice in the space of about half a second.

By the way, it would be much easier for people to try to help you if you actually specify which chip it is.

Last edited:

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
I was talking to the previous owner yesterday and he said he never had any trouble with it before it was shipped. He also said he never had to tricks of any kind to get stuff working. just put a disc in and play.

which means something else got screwed up during shipping. pretty sure the laser is the problem now, but I did order a new one anyways.

---===-=-

also, what does it mean when I hit the power button once, and nothing shows up on the screen, but every time I hit reset after that.... the picture will show up?

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
alright, I got my new laser the other day and today I finally got around to installing it. I desolder the anti-static point after being confused as hell why my discs weren't spinning.

The problem is still there though. Regular discs play fine. DVD-R's and Imports still come up with the "please insert a playstation or playstation 2 disc format"

New laser wasn't the answer. I think maybe I resolderd that loose wire to the wrong place or something.... but then why would it actually work sometimes? This is confusing.

acem77

Over Top Auto Mechanic
20 Year Member
find the install guide for your chip and ps2.
take a picture and post it.
I know ps2 mod chips can be very picky with noise.
make sure the wire is short as can be.

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
I couldn't find the wire guide anywhere.....

I just asked the buyer to refund the cost of the modchip, which he agreed to do. So I guess i'll just play regular PS2 games.

one last question though.... then i'm done. promise.

it always takes two times to power on to get picture on my t.v. meaning... I hit the power button once.. the ps2 turns on, but no picture comes on the screen, then I hit the reset button, then the picture does come on the screen.

Is this because I have a modchip installed, or can somebody tell me why that is? Is some component going bad?

SnowKitty

n00b
i don't think the matrix chip needs the reset button pressed or held like older chips did. it shoudl direct boot and autodecetct, though i could be wrong. i repaired a modded PS2 that had an apple chip recently, i found out you have to hold reset for like 2 seconds to boot a PS2 backup and i think it was about 5 seconds for a PS1 backup

jonny5

Cham Cham's Banana
you sure the chip isnt just running in stealth mode(disabled)?

go into the mod chip menu and see if it is....

iirc you just need to hold circle and triangle on start up to bring up the menu

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
you sure the chip isnt just running in stealth mode(disabled)?

go into the mod chip menu and see if it is....

iirc you just need to hold circle and triangle on start up to bring up the menu

I can't get any kind of mod chip menu to show no matter what combination of buttons I hold.

-=-=-=-

I took a picture of the chip in case anyone could recognize it.

dsc0155s.jpg

I might just de-solder the whole thing and use the swap trick.

SnowKitty

n00b
I can't get any kind of mod chip menu to show no matter what combination of buttons I hold.

-=-=-=-

I took a picture of the chip in case anyone could recognize it.

dsc0155s.jpg

I might just de-solder the whole thing and use the swap trick.

try reinstalling the whole thing. those solder joints look kinda bad. you may have cold joints on one or more of the connections.

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
^ that reinstalling the whole thing plan is out of the question. I don't have the skills to do something on such a small scale. some of those soldering points are so small that I can't even see any solder.

This PS2 has become more trouble than what it's worth. anybody want it for $65?

SnowKitty

n00b
^ that reinstalling the whole thing plan is out of the question. I don't have the skills to do something on such a small scale. some of those soldering points are so small that I can't even see any solder.

This PS2 has become more trouble than what it's worth. anybody want it for $65?

what kinda chip is in it? i cant tell from the pic and there are so many damn clones and fakes around :/

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
what kinda chip is in it? i cant tell from the pic and there are so many damn clones and fakes around :/

pffff..... you got me. I don't know crap about ps2 modchips. I wrote down whats on the chip.

it says "actel proasic plus apa075 - F" thats all I got. i'm pretty much done with this ps2. $65 and it anyone's.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Desolder the chip, buy a HDD, and be done with it.

Regardless if you have a laser problem or not, you can get the games over to the machine via FTP.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
pffff..... you got me. I don't know crap about ps2 modchips. I wrote down whats on the chip.

it says "actel proasic plus apa075 - F" thats all I got. i'm pretty much done with this ps2. $65 and it anyone's.

Looks like a Crystal Chip 1.2 Lite. That's also one of the most hideous modchip installs I've ever seen. A neatly redone install would probably do the trick.