Just When You Thought SNKP's Credibility Couldn't Sink Any Lower...

...someone gives them a submarine and tells them to dive deeper:

http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/goods/goods112.php

That's right, it's another Queen's Blade book, this time featuring Cham-Cham.
That makes two SNK and two SNKP characters that have been defiled by the Queen's Blade series (this includes Mai, Iroha and Mina).

So... anyone else think that this is SNKP's latest attempt to cash in on the otaku market? What part of this doesn't smack of SNKP getting desperate for cash? (Look at their newest cell phone games for proof that SNK gals are being exploited.)

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
I guess that's low. Not like a baby has kicked in the face for every page printed. Companies do it for side money, original SNK had plenty of that stuff.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I don't even know what these books are. But when I think of "credibility sinking" I think of stuff more like blown deadlines and games released half-finished, not SNKP catering to a market I don't happen to be part of.

And by the way, it says "Queen's Gate," not "Queen's Blade." I don't know if that was just a slip by you or if there are actually two separate things. Apparently, the artist's name is Blade. Is that what you meant?

Also, these are SNKP's IPs. They are supposed to exploit them. That's kind of the entire point of going into business.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
As long as they use the profits to ALSO give us good, complete, competent games (blah, blah, blah), I don't care if they sexploit the otakus.

I just don't want to see these once proud IPs used ONLY for this. That would make me a sad panda.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I don't give a shit. I do care when I get shitty games.

I don't even know what these books are. But when I think of "credibility sinking" I think of stuff more like blown deadlines and games released half-finished, not SNKP catering to a market I don't happen to be part of.

And by the way, it says "Queen's Gate," not "Queen's Blade." I don't know if that was just a slip by you or if there are actually two separate things. Apparently, the artist's name is Blade. Is that what you meant?

Also, these are SNKP's IPs. They are supposed to exploit them. That's kind of the entire point of going into business.

"Queen's Blade" is a turn-based battle RPG using pictures in each character's book to simulate the battle. The series is best known for its' sexual illustrations (ranging from risque to "quite possibly illegal outside of Japan"). The franchise became popular enough to support a spin-off known as "Queen's Gate" (which features characters from video game franchises, like Dizzy from GGX and Kasumi from DOA) and an anime TV series (which, while highly-rated in Japan, was regarded as one of the worst anime series of 2009 by Anime News Network). I point this out only because Capcom has yet to sink so low (and Namco could be next....). How I know all this, even I couldn't tell you.

If this actually makes SNKP create good games again, then I certainly won't object. But seeing as how the last two games that weren't rehashes (Samurai Spirits Sen and KOF XII) completely bombed (with KOF: Sky Stage's XBLA release yet to be judged), I'm worried they're slowly veering into "Valis X" territory.

As long as they use the profits to ALSO give us good, complete, competent games (blah, blah, blah), I don't care if they sexploit the otakus.

I just don't want to see these once proud IPs used ONLY for this. That would make me a sad panda.

If SNKP's franchises still had some pride, we wouldn't be seeing cell phone games like these:
http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/mobile/y-keitai/neogeo.php#rhythm_combo
(Scroll down for proof.)

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
SNKP is basically like a whole legacy a few heroine addicts got ahold of through luck.

elixir

NAM-75 Vet
Maybe they'll localize the Queens Blade PSP game.

...yeah right.

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
This news is kinda old actually, and I saw the book itself, but disappointingly this exhibits Cham Cham as a loli type character rather than the wild yet charming and a bit more mature form she was in SS2/rpg.

I do have to laugh at Queen's Blade being a badly done anime though. The thing is essentially hentai without genitals. Menace is the only character I ended up liking out of the whole thing.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
This news is kinda old actually, and I saw the book itself, but disappointingly this exhibits Cham Cham as a loli type character rather than the wild yet charming and a bit more mature form
*Mister Creepy March 2010 Award Winner*

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Well if you want to have someone accept it for you in your absence, I guess that's cool too. But you definitely get the award.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Maybe they'll localize the Queens Blade PSP game.

...yeah right.

It's probably at least a bit difficult to get a favorable ESRB rating for a game in which the whole point of "battle" is to strip clothes off, not unlike Ikki Tousen except in SRPG format.

But catering to otakus in itself is not a bad business decision, if one were to believe their boast about keeping Japan's economy in check during the last recession. I'm surprised people make such a big deal on the Queen's Gate books when there are tons of PVC statues released for each of the SNK female characters. I wouldn't be surprised if Nakoruru gets to be next in line for a QG book release seeing the popularity rankings of said statues in Japan.

MrQuestion

n00b
If it makes them enough money to put out a decent game then so be it, but they'll probably spend it on strippers and coke :(

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Nothing surprising here.

Doki Doki was the bottom of the barrel. From there you need shovels.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
I point this out only because Capcom has yet to sink so low (and Namco could be next....). How I know all this, even I couldn't tell you.

Maybe Capcom should consider sinking that low.

Would be nice to see Darkstalkers, Rival Schools, Star Gladiator, Cyberbots, Slammasters, etc. characters in something new other than a lame Vs game I have zero interest in playing.

Neo Pocky

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I completely disagree. Other companies have also participated in this. I guess Namco Bandai, SegaSammy, and Tecmo's credibility can't sink any lower as well?

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
image.php