neo candy w/ 6 slot and buggy speakers!

ldalope

New Challenger
hi everyone-

i have a neo candy w/ a 6 slot board. when i play, the background music dominates the audio, and when i go into test mode, i can hear the test audio tones from the "left" and "right" speakers, but nothing when i check the "center speaker". how do i fix this?

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Please excuse my ignorence, I didnt realise candies had a centre speaker, where does it connect to, an audio sub pcb or straight to the main board ???

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I think he means when you go into the Audio Test Screen, when he tries to play the test tone through the "center" or both speakers at once that it is not making a sound. As for what might be happening... I have had this problem with dirty cart slots. The carts, if not seated correctly or if there is not a perfect connection, can have problems... However, this does not explain why your center test does not work.

Maybe you should take a look at the Harness, make sure everything is wired and grounded properly there.

-Nick

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Sounds like a ground problem with the speakers, if you have lost the ground, you may have the two speakers effectively in series across the left and right audio outputs from the board. That would give the symptoms you describe ie in test mode you would get sound from both speakers on L and R tests and nothing on "centre" as there would be a cancelling effect with both channels being driven.
It would also give you very distorted sound.

ldalope

New Challenger
hey-

thanks for the input guys. uh... how do i check if i've "lost the ground" and how would i fix it?

i'm new to owning a cabinet after having used a supergun from GW.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
With a multimeter check resistance from each speaker terminal.
Or check from the jamma edge connector, its pins 10 and L (opposite each other, counting from the side with the keyway) See Briggs site for the pin out info
<a href="http://www.hardmvs.com/manuals/Jamma2NeoGeo4SlotPinout.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.hardmvs.com/manuals/Jamma2NeoGeo4SlotPinout.pdf</a>

You should measure 8 ohms to ground typicaly from these points if all is well. Before doing this physicaly trace the speaker leads, you may find an obvious loose ground tag which will be common to both speakers.