Metal Slug 4 Locking Up

malkie13

Zero's Secretary
Tried searching, but the search function just dumps back a memory error. I eyeballed a few pages, but didn't see anything, so I'm asking.

Playing Metal Slug 4, got just barely into it (first pair of paratrooper guys, so like BARELY in), and it locked up. Music was still rolling. I was still able to bring up the in game Unibios menu too. Soft reset the system, cleared the backup ram, and gave it another go. This time I got as far as the airship/zep boss of the first level and it locked up again.

Cab still registered credits being added, if you hit Player two, it would count down the credits (credit leds, have on screen credit displays off). Unibios in game menu still comes up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Joe

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
Check the traces, that was what was wrong with mine. Traces to the M1 and C1 were fucked.

malkie13

Zero's Secretary
The cart looks like a million bucks. Traces are clean. This thing barely looks like it's ever been used, inside and out.

I'm fairly certain I played through it before I swapped the bios out for Unibios (2 slot mobo) and I vaguely recall that the cart would have issues depending on what cart was in the other slot.

I've tried it again with just the Metal Slug 4 cart in the #1 slot on the board. Now it does something a little different. Beat the level 1 boss, it gives me the score window, scores me up, then nothing. Just sits there. Sound still goes. If I pop a credit in, it chimes. Unibios menu still comes up.

Other oddities with just the Metal Slug 4 cart in. No spinning NEO GEO screen on cabinet boot, and the select button also seems to act as a P1 credit button.

Thoughts?

JimmyDean

n00b
Do yourself a favor and get metal slug 2!!!
Sorry bout that, check for corroded traces.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
I would love to go to your house, and punch you in the face. Stop being a retard :oh_no:

@OP: Have you tried it in another neo?/with a standard BIOS?

Last edited:

malkie13

Zero's Secretary
Not yet. I'm pondering popping the original bios back in, but don't feel like taking the cover off the mobo right now.

I'm wondering though, if it hanging just before Mission Complete is a result of a cheat code from the Unibios. I slapped in the rapid fire and unlimited ammo and invulnerable just to tear through the level to see if I'd gotten past the fist few hiccups as quickly as possible.

I'll give it another whack on Monday (machine is here at my work, no room in the apartment for it) w/out cheats and see if it plays nice or what.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
On MS4 it locks up if you have certain codes bundled together (ON). Turn on just auto fire and ammo and should be fine.