Neo Geo Museum

Neo Pocky

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Looking back 20 years ago to 1990, a video game company by the name of SNK teamed up with ALPHA DENSHI (ADK) to develop a video game console. That console was made for arcades, yet at the same time was completely compatible for home use. It was called the "NEOGEO," meaning "new land," and owns a significant chapter in the annals of 1990s video game history.
This article was written to commemorate the mighty NEOGEO's 20th anniversary, and also to reflect on the impact and success it has garnered through the years.
First of all, in order to distinguish between arcade and home consoles, I'd like to touch a bit on the Multi Video System (MVS).

http://neogeomuseum.snkplaymore.co.jp/english/index.php

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
For its 20th anniversary they should reissue it with a few select carts, the cream of the crop. Thing is the collectors will cry about the reissued carts. Maybe if they were clearly different like all had a '20th' logo on them or something.

It'd sell like hot cakes, honestly it would.

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
So on that site Eight man is only listed to have come out for the AES. (Rom Cart)
However, I've seen the MVS version in a store not too far from me.
Is it a fake or just no complete information on that site?

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Interesting 2010 I guess.

At the interview time quite one year ago, I asked SNKP the permission to use the "neogeoland" name, for the very same purpose and they well agreeded.

During the year, I kept in contact, updating them (and few members here) with the interview and the site-museum project, still now heavily under development, as few sections are inserted and practically without text, but visible at:

http://www.neogeoland.jp

(bandwith will clearly increase once it's completed and definitively published, but please be patient!)

btw, I'm not implying anything of course, just that as few members already knows since time, this project was born discussing it with SNKP, and started one year ago, trying to fill an empty space in the panorama, presenting organized information, like hardware pictures from my personal collection, or info taken from official magazines like Hi-Score, detailed masterlist and of course with the help of the rest of the "Italian Team" friends, like Gemant, Shito, etc..)

Anyway, while I can already say, that sure is great to finally see something made by the same company who made the machine, at the moment the contents are somehow different, and maybe neogeoland it's not all time wasted...let me know what you people think about it's embryo!

SNKP speaking, the contacts were increasing in time, so the information we shared, and I gained the option to make the second interview (infamous PT.II) straight with Dr.NeoGeo, hope I can publish like the last time, some month from now, following his request.

There are a couple of other things boiling, at least AFAIK, about western releases and VC "future titles", but I think the better thing is to wait and see...really.

aria

Former Moderator
It will be interesting to see what happens when the patents expire for the home system (it can take a bit over 20 years). When that happened for the NES you started seeing all the affordable fami-clones. That's not the copyright for the games, which will last our lifetimes, but it would be interesting to see if someone were willing to make a Neo-clone.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I wonder if they could condense the Neo-Geo down to a System on a Chip format, or if it would require a more robust option.

I'd be worried, since alot of the Famiclones / Genesis clones arent 100% faithful to the original hardware

ni-ten

War Room Troll
Instead of giving us a limited aes run of either a game or rerelease of the console for that anniversary, they give us, tadaaa...shirts and a web page.
Yup! ...cheap bastards indeed.

GodOfHardcore

Galford's Armourer
For its 20th anniversary they should reissue it with a few select carts, the cream of the crop. Thing is the collectors will cry about the reissued carts. Maybe if they were clearly different like all had a '20th' logo on them or something.

It'd sell like hot cakes, honestly it would.

Plug and play unit the Neo Geo with maybe 20 of the best Games for it with authentic everything that would make them enough money to outsource KOF XIII to Dimps to ensure the game won't blow.

Collectors are bitches anyway.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
One of the selling points to all these new fami/genesis clones is that there is a port that would allow you to plug an actual cart in to play it. Considering the size of AES carts and the relatively small size you can fit an AES circuit in components available today, I wouldn't be surprised if the connector itself takes up the bulk of the volume if a new console were to be made.

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Anyhone else notice that the buttons and sticks on this picture look really purple?

p_whats02_01.jpg

Oh, and the references to the home system games as "NeoGeoRom-Cart"