Problems with my NEO GEO please help!

Johnny222

n00b
Hello Everyone,

I'm having a problem with my NEO GEO home System and Metal Slug 3. The game works all the time I put it in, but in order to get the sound effects to work I have to insert and reinstert the game a couple of times. Sometimes it takes seconds while other times it takes about 15 mins to get it right. Thats only for Metal Slug 3, NOT for my other games, like Samauri Shodown II or CyberLip, so meaning my system is working OKAY. I also managed to copy a message that appears after the boot up screen when there is no sound effects. Here it is:
"MVS Slot Check
Ver 2.20 99/11/01
M1-ROM ERROR"
This message only appears with Metal Slug 3 when the sound effects aren't working. I have no idea what is causing the problem. I could live with it, but I'm scared that I maybe hurting the system or the cart in order to get the sounds to work. Anybody else went through a similar problem?
Thanks
JNL

NeoZero

New Challenger
whats the serial number on your NEO-GEO System? It could be if you have an older system maybe it wont work right, but im probably wrong. Did you get your cart from NGF? I have heard of another person having a similar problem but im not sure who it was.

-NeoZero

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Yeah the Neo Geo Freak copies I heard are messed up and don't work right on certain Neo Cart systems.

NeoZero

New Challenger
Exactly why I dont purchase items from NGF!
I cant trust them because they have rude employees such as Dion. With people like that who knows what you may get in the mail!

-NeoZero

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
yeah like a mail bomb
smile.gif
Also its just fake ass stuff. Its generic compared to the real deal. If NGF owned the world I guess they would segregate us all according to color just like those stupid ass inserts they have.

Johnny222

n00b
My serial number is 90A 060100. IS that one a old or new model. And I bought it from Buyrite.net. So what could it mean? The game itself works great. But I'm always able to get the sounds to work no matter what. I just takes a couple of tries.

Thanks
JNL

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Well for one thing don't buy from buyrite ever again. They are scam artists and what they say is new is usually used. Anyway I'm not sure what or which thing might be wrong but it sounds to me that it is the game if you are not having trouble with the other games you have. Also you might try wiggling the cords in the back and see what that does when you have the game in and turn on the system and see if that fixes the sound. If not I'd send the game back.

Johnny222

n00b
Buyrite.net never again for me!! But I also thought it was the game, but it seems that the bigger carts have problems running on some NEO systems. I heard from other Neo gamers and they too have problems with certain games which all of them happen to be the really Big megabit ones. Am I right or an I the only guy who has these problems with certain big games? So which is a good site to buy good Neo cart games?
JNL

DIY

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Originally posted by Gambit:
Well for one thing don't buy from buyrite ever again. They are scam artists and what they say is new is usually used. Anyway I'm not sure what or which thing might be wrong but it sounds to me that it is the game if you are not having trouble with the other games you have. Also you might try wiggling the cords in the back and see what that does when you have the game in and turn on the system and see if that fixes the sound. If not I'd send the game back.

Hahaha even if it wasn't broken I'd still send it back, damn over charging ------
------
mad.gif

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I would buy from Shawn here at neo-geo.com, that is where I am buying from now. And I have not heard one bad thing about him either.

DIY

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Get your games from Mcvans! http://www.mcvans.com/ they are very nice and very reliable but have a somewhat small selection of older Neo Geo carts, actually just buy from eBay......

Johnny222

n00b
hey at least they gave me a 3 month warranty. But should I go throught all that trouble sending it back to them or just keep it enjoy the game, which I might add is F*** GREAT! Other then the sound effects the game is playable. But is my Neo a new or older model? Again Serial no 90A 060100. New or old and if its old, how old is it.
Thanks

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Sending it back won't hurt anything. Besides you won't know whats wrong until you send it back.

Johnny222

n00b
But thats just it. What if nothing is wrong. It could be just my Neo having some problems with the game. Once again: certain systems have some problems with certain games. Also they'll charge me if the game is not defective so I'm a little woried that they'll charge me extra for sending back a non-defective game.

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
But you can send it back and then you will know for sure. God do I have to beat that into your head.

Johnny222

n00b
OKAY, OKAY. I get it. Back to buyrite.net it goes. Anyway thanks for all the help. I'm in debt to all you guys. Thanks

lump505

Kabuki Klasher
My Neo Geo system is 020100. It is one of the oldest US systems around. I have the official MS3 home cart and it works perfectly ever time. Maybe NGF sold you a messed up copy (I wouldnt be suprised) or you system dosent want to play certain games right. I have a feeling you got a bad copy of MS3 from NGF. I would send it to Jeff to have him take a look at it.

And some advice for you.

1. Don't buy from buyrite.net
2. Don't buy from NGF even if they were the last source of Neo Geo games on earth.

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
In fact man I would simply just ask Buyrite for the money back and get a Metal Slug 3 from Shawn, if not don't worry about it. I just hate to see people paying those bastards anything. I did however buy Mark of the Wolves from them for 350.00 months ago but now they have it up to 800.00 dollars. What a rip off.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Well your system is older indeed, and you're not the first I've heard of having problems with larger games. For some it was games KoF '98, but I recall someone from one of the Yahoo! message boards also reported sound problems with their MS3, which I don't at all believe they got from Buywrong. I'm not sure how or if he ever resolved it, but I could possibly find out.

Also, I'll have my own copy of MS3 in less than two weeks I think, so I could always report back and say how it works with my system, ser. #23233. I would have to borrow MotW from someone else to see if there are any problems with that either.

One last thing, if you send the game back to Buywrong, how would they be able to fix it? I doubt they could, and the likelihood of your cart being sent to Japan, to Aruze, to be fixed then re-shipped back to America, to BW, then to you, seems a little far-fetched to me. I guess it's up to you to take the risk of incurring the penalty for a non-defective cart, or just getting a refund, unless you prefer to keep a smei-faulty cartridge.

Hope it all works out for you.

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
If it's a periodic problem, it's possible that the M1 rom is not seated properly (bad solder joint, etc)... Could be nothing but bad contacts on the edge...

I could check it for you to see if there IS something wrong with the M1. Your call. Like I always tell people, if it takes less than 5 minutes to fix, all you have to do is pay for return shipping - nothing more. And in this case, it's something I will know if I can fix in a matter of minutes.

Jeff

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Hey Johnny222, send the MS3 cart to Jeff Kurtz, he's the most reliable source by far for repairs, mods, MVS conversions, etc. Don't send it to Buyrite, that would be a big mistake. Anyway, the cart system is probably fine, the MS3 cart has the problem I'd say.

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Thats what I meant was to send the cart to Buyrite so he good either get a refund or a new cart. Sorry for any confusion.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
You should email Jeff first and talk to him about it. Send your message to:

jmkurtz@macola.com

asam79

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Just to chip in.

Chimp is right...
Don't ever deal with buyrite again.

Trust Jeff. Send it to him first to check.
He is a very reliable guy.