Question about MVS game difficulty

noCLip

Camel Slug
Hi guys,
Im a new Neo Geo MVS owner and a relative noob at arcade machines and have a few questions. I did a search on this and couldnt seem to find an answer so thought id post.

So whomever owned my cab previously has it set to difficulty 8 and I wanted to adjust this but the Test Button behind the coin mech doesnt seem to work. I read in a pdf of the Owners Manual that you change that stuff from this menu. Ive tried with the game in and out and no response so i think the button is dead. Is there any other way to access it, such as from the default options menu (the one that comes up when no game is in and the machine is on). Also, the DIPs on the main menu are set at 1(0)2(0)3(0)4(0)5(0)6(0)7(1)8(0) is this normal? i cant seem to find what the default should be and what changing these do.

Thanks for any info or links you guys can provide

EDIT:
So when im on the Main Menu on the I/O Input test screen, when I hit the Test button it shows it go form (0) to (1) so the button does work... but I can never seem to pull up that menu...

Last edited:

Xionicist

NEST Puppet
What version of board is in your cab?

Regardless, setting Dip Switch #1 to on should bring up the test menu for you.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
So is physical dip 7 currently the only one on (flipped down)? Flip physical dip 1 to go into the test menu.

Edit: Have you also tried holding down the test button for a second or two?

Last edited:

noCLip

Camel Slug
Yeah the only one that is down (or on) is number 7. is that correct?
Okay cool, ill try flipping down dip 1, should the game be in and selected for this to work? or just on the game select
Its a Neo Geo Gold, 2 slot MVS, thats all i know of the version. Have no clue what the BIOS version is

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Okay cool, ill try flipping down dip 1, should the game be in and selected for this to work? or just on the game select

The game should reside in the memory. The last games in each of the slots should be stated under "Cabinet Set Up". If you'd like to change the settings for another game, pop another one in it's place. "Back Up Clear" in Hardware test mode will bring everything back to factory settings.

Last edited:

noCLip

Camel Slug
Okay, Thanks alot man. I got it to work and changed the difficulty, 8 was way too hard for a newbie like me on KOF 99 lol. Also, should dip 7 remain on while every other dip off?
Thanks again!

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Also, should dip 7 remain on while every other dip off?
Thanks again!

If you want free play on and if you don't want to keep keying in coins then keep 7 flipped on.

Enjoy the Goldie.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Hi guys,
So whomever owned my cab previously has it set to difficulty 8 and I wanted to adjust this but the Test Button behind the coin mech doesnt seem to work. I read in a pdf of the Owners Manual that you change that stuff from this menu. Ive tried with the game in and out and no response so i think the button is dead. Is there any other way to access it, such as from the default options menu (the one that comes up when no game is in and the machine is on). Also, the DIPs on the main menu are set at 1(0)2(0)3(0)4(0)5(0)6(0)7(1)8(0) is this normal? i cant seem to find what the default should be and what changing these do.

Are you using a multicart? Those things have the default difficulty settings at 8. If you want to change the difficulty setting and keep it from defaulting back to 8, you will need to manually enter the game selection screen AFTER you made the change and the subsequent reboot.