(Versus City) King of Fighters 13 at AOU?

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
Yeah, I just saw that on SRK. Hopefully they will show something, a screenshot or two would be nice.

My hopes... they don't even come close to looking or playing like KOF XII.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Will probably be a "finished" version of KofXII

Don't expect anything too radical.

ie, at best: SFA -> SFA2
At worst: SSF2->SSF2T

That's my guess anyways.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Will probably be a "finished" version of KofXII

Don't expect anything too radical.

ie, at best: SFA -> SFA2
At worst: SSF2->SSF2T

That's my guess anyways.

it could be like sf 2 -> sf2 champion edition

but I'm not sure what bosses would be playable.

Don't care what anyone says, I'm looking forward to it! Hope Mai is back and if she's not I hope they at lest have some sort of story and a end boss. I thought engine in KOF XII was very solid. Besides KOF XII wasn't really a bad game it just lacked a lot of the presentation that previous KOFs had. Also the game could have used a bit more polish but overall it wasn't terrible. The price was the big problem I had with the game, it didn't feel like a 60 dollar game. They should've sold it for maybe 30 dollars. But I digress, point is if KOF XIII is built upon a more refined version of KOF XII's engine with a few tweaks updated roster and all of the bells and whistle that we come to love and enjoy from KOF games then I for one would be happy.

Or they should just make Mark of the Wolves 2 or Last Blade 3 ;)

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Hopefully if they release a more complete version of KOF XII with lots of modes, extras and decent online people will like the game this time.

snk`

Kula's Candy
Just don't keep your hopes high from SNKP, you might actually find it a great worthy game when it's out.

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
I'm just hoping for KOFXII with all the moves put back in, more BG's, chracter intro's back all the stuff that makes KOF great.

Soniku

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
This game deserves to be pirated by everyone who bought KoF XII. :mad_2:

Sadly I will still end up paying for it... :oh_no:

I hope SNKP doesn't read that. :kekeke:

I bet they'll eff it up again anyway. :annoyed:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I'm just hoping for KOFXII with all the moves put back in, more BG's, chracter intro's back all the stuff that makes KOF great.

This. Oh, and working computer AI for the 1P mode. And bosses. And the conclusion of the Ash story, just to get it over with.

At this point, I don't even need working netcode. I just want a complete game and a worthy home release. That way, even if the netcode is still fucked, at least there will be enough good points about the game to justify owning it for the 1P elements.

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
This. Oh, and working computer AI for the 1P mode. And bosses. And the conclusion of the Ash story, just to get it over with.

At this point, I don't even need working netcode. I just want a complete game and a worthy home release. That way, even if the netcode is still fucked, at least there will be enough good points about the game to justify owning it for the 1P elements.

YEah dude bosses are a must, i'm hoping they throw in a few new characters too, need something fresh, or at least throw in some people who havent been in KOF yet.

I'd love to see a Kim, Jaehoon & Dongwhan Team, Put Rock in a team with Terry.

Yes bring back the actual teams, i wanna see them lined up in teams on the select screen!

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
YEah dude bosses are a must, i'm hoping they throw in a few new characters too, need something fresh, or at least throw in some people who havent been in KOF yet.

I'd love to see a Kim, Jaehoon & Dongwhan Team, Put Rock in a team with Terry.

Yes bring back the actual teams, i wanna see them lined up in teams on the select screen!

If they really wanna blow my mind, they should put in some other AOF characters like John Crawley, Lee Pai Long, Roddy Birts and Jin Fu Ha (playable.) Jubei Yamada from FF would be tits, too.

I'd love to see a playable Rock in KOF, but something tells me that with the return to the older FF design schemes, they won't do that.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I hope KOF XII comes w/ a $60 rebate check. They owe me for paying full price for XII

Visually awesome, mechanically pretty decent, online a big fuck you (why I bought it)

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
I thought XII played nice, just relatively glitchy, and not enough characters and backgrounds. I got bored quick with really only one good team setup and the five backgrounds. I want Geese and Takuma back, I never played as Mai, but it was stupid to promote the game with her around then not have her in the game.

According to SNKP's website, the only thing they're planning on play-testing is KOF: Sky Stage for X-Box Live Arcade, and that's not slated to happen until next Saturday.

As much as I'd like to see a KOF XIII beta, something tells me that, much like KOF XII was absent from AOU 2008, KOF XIII will be a no-show at AOU 2010.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
You know, I was at the front of the charge about all things wrong with KOF XII at this site. People that kept up with the threads know how insulting I felt XII was and how much of a slap in the face to the fans' loyalty it was. I still strongly hold that position and could still, seven months later, spit venom about it. But it's all documented already.

I think what I want at this point is for SNK-P to basically acknowledge in a very public way that they know they fucked up and that they intend to make things right with an official announcement that KOF XIII is on the way and will make up for XII being so lackluster.

They don't have to admit that they were pressed to release an unfinished product or that their developers weren't up to the task of proper international netcode. They don't have to cop to any of the sordid history about XII's botched release.

Actions speak louder than words. Just say you're sorry and make a promise that you will release something that you hope will restore the legacy of the KOF series.

And then deliver on that promise.

Tall order? Maybe, but at least trying would go a long way towards repairing some of the damage that's been done.

I LOVE SNK's IPs. I think anybody that posts in this area at NG.com does. What some people want to define as nostalgia, I see as things I chose to invest my leisure hours in that affected me beyond the level of throwaway entertainment. Fatal Fury and Art Of Fighting MEAN something to me beyond the code and the gameplay. I've said this many times before. I know I'm not the only one that feels it.

/therapy

DJ Long Cat

Armored Scrum Object
According to SNKP's website, the only thing they're planning on play-testing is KOF: Sky Stage for X-Box Live Arcade, and that's not slated to happen until next Saturday.

As much as I'd like to see a KOF XIII beta, something tells me that, much like KOF XII was absent from AOU 2008, KOF XIII will be a no-show at AOU 2010.

Its a different case here because a lot of the principle work for KOFXIII has already been done (KOFXII itself as in the style, sprites, engine, and platform).

I bet SNK wants to get another winner out of there quickly because all KOFXII needed was more time in development for more in general.

Korigama

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Its a different case here because a lot of the principle work for KOFXIII has already been done (KOFXII itself as in the style, sprites, engine, and platform).

I bet SNK wants to get another winner out of there quickly because all KOFXII needed was more time in development for more in general.

Am I really the only one thinking that XIII will be just as much of a failure if all it amounts to is a finished version of XII? If anything, I don't believe that releasing a game that reminds people even remotely of XII in any way will fix anything. By attempting such a half-assed "REBIRTH" in the middle of an arc they hadn't even finished yet (instead of waiting until after the Ash saga had concluded), they've dug a hole deep enough to make their own grave.

It'll take more than that to repair the franchise's image.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Am I really the only one thinking that XIII will be just as much of a failure if all it amounts to is a finished version of XII?
Yes. Because that is all MOST of the King of Fighters installments have been: a tweaked version of the game that preceded it. '95 is tweaked '94, '97 built on '96, 2000 was a tweaked '99, XI was a vastly improved '03. You get some new stages and music, and the roster gets changed up or added to a bit. That is all KOF has ever been. There's no point starting to complain about it now.

Everybody knows XII was unfinished. And that's not hyperbole -- it literally was not completed. SNKP flat-out admitted that. In my mind, that game has yet to be released. What SNKP put out wasn't it. It was a half-sized demo that they decided to charge full price for. I don't mind if XIII is just a finished version of XII with all the bells, whistles, aesthetics and a complete roster. Because I didn't buy the demo. I am still waiting for KOF XII to come out.

Korigama

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Yes. Because that is all MOST of the King of Fighters installments have been: a tweaked version of the game that preceded it. '95 is tweaked '94, '97 built on '96, 2000 was a tweaked '99, XI was a vastly improved '03. You get some new stages and music, and the roster gets changed up or added to a bit. That is all KOF has ever been. There's no point starting to complain about it now.

No, really? Wow, never knew that... :rolleyes:

What I'm trying to say is that it will still be only the same, niche market of consumers who actually bother playing it, let alone buying it. The ship has pretty much sailed as far as any chance for expanding the audience as they were initially hoping to with XII (the whole point of trying to reinvent KoF with it in the first place), as KoF and SNK themselves will now remain just as insignificant as they've become when they didn't have to be.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Guile and Vega counterparts and AOF3 losers? x.x

I was thinking more along the lines of 'characters we haven't seen retreaded a million times before that are old school characters.'

No, really? Wow, never knew that... :rolleyes:

What I'm trying to say is that it will still be only the same, niche market of consumers who actually bother playing it, let alone buying it. The ship has pretty much sailed as far as any chance for expanding the audience as they were initially hoping to with XII (the whole point of trying to reinvent KoF with it in the first place), as KoF and SNK themselves will now remain just as insignificant as they've become when they didn't have to be.

A properly released KOF XIII could do very well given the current surge in fighting games. If KOF XIII comes out and it's the great game we all want it to be, people will come and play it. Everyone let down by XII will be all the more bolstered by XIII and will be encouraged to play it and to tell their friends all about it. The reaction won't be 'Play this year's KOF yet?' It'll be 'You have GOT to play KOF XIII! You won't believe how much better than XII it is!"

While this is not likely to happen, it COULD happen.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Sort of a double post. Apologies.