Vertical games on Horizontal TVs

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
Rolling a Sony PVM on it's side for vertical games is one thing, rolling my 34XBR910, or for that matter pretty much any other TV is out of the question.

Is there any way to flip a video signal 90 degrees to play something like Galaga on a normal TV through some sort of supergun.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
you could always tilt your head... if you've got access to a flatscreen, they make rotating mounts.

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
I'll just play them lying on my side on the couch :D

My computer monitor rotates, unfortunately my 200lb CRT does not, or not without serious health risks.

I want to consolize a Galaga Board. Just wondering if there is any way to make it into something that can be plugged into any TV anywhere without having to tip it on it's side.

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
oh don't worry, I know all about Galaga boards and their wacky non-jamma pinouts.

I don't actually want to build a supergun itself. I mostly want a self contained boxed Galaga board with a joysick port, video converter and not have to turn my TV on its side.

If I can do it It's going to be a present for someone, someone who isn't going to be able to have a vertical monitor sitting around.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
You could always buy them the cab, though in the case of Galaga is freaking expensive.

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
no space for it unfortunately.

This would be much more fun to make anyways. Provided I can figure out how to rotate a live video signal.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
For shmups you can always rotate the direction buttons with a self made adapter.

KaPH33n

Sieger's Squire
If your stick is a sanwa you can rotate the switch board very easily... that alone may solve your problems? Otherwise do what Xian mentioned with an adapter.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Here's what you want:

1. Old desktop PC (horizontal).
2. 60-1 or 48-1 PCB.
3. 19" VGA CRT.
4. Controller.

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
I know there are tons of options that don't involve rotating a video signal, I can make a box that plays galaga easily enough.

I just wanted to know if there was a way to do it with an original galaga board and do it in a way that doesn't require turning a TV on it's end.

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
You could always run the input into a PC w/ a video capture card and use VLC or MPC to do the rotation in software then use your TV as the monitor.

That's how I ended up running my 6-player x-men that would require 2 monitors. I just used 2 video capture cards ;)

Something like this may do it too, but it's no where near cheap.
http://auroramultimedia.com/?section=products&category=1

I was looking for a device to flip an image about the y-axis once for the x-men board.
Never did find anything that I thought would work for sure.