Which system should I buy?

G

gokusama26

I finally have a good job, and disposeable income, so I can finally afford a NEO~GEO system. I know that the Cart system is the truest to the arcade, and has no loading times, but the games themselves are expensive. What about the CD system? I have heard stories about a monkey and atrocious load times. I know the games are cheaper, but is it worth it? I also have a stupid question. Looking at pictures of the CD systems, I noticed one has a large slot in the back behind the CD hatch. What is that used for?

lump505

Kabuki Klasher
Go cart all the way. Yeah the cd's are cheaper but you are losing many things in return. The load times for almost all the fighting games are soooo bad. 2nd they have to cut out animation from the games and sometimes the sprites are smaller. Also carts are more reliable then cds. If you were to get a cd system stay away from the cdx as it has questionable reliability. Finally none of the newer and future games will be released on the cd system. The cart system might be dead as well soon but you can still get great games such as MS3, Garou, and maybe KOF 2000 if we are lucky.

Bottom line. If you have the money go with a cart system.

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
I owned cd and now have a CDZ system. I think cd can be a worthwhile system to get. All the cd games have remixed sound, and I like them alot over the Neo Geo System. You also get little things like quiz (Last Blade 2) and character data (Gowcaizer), and art gallery (KOF), among others. I also think that Neo Geo cd system have the best loading screens of all the existing platform systems. About the loading, it can be really annoying. It may be best to playing older games. CDZ is better, but not that much. As for the large slot on the back...I think you are talking about the CD and not CDZ. If I remember correctly, that's where the air is supposed to flow, so the system wouldn't over heat. Hope that answered some questions.

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
If you have the money, cart is the way to go (I also recommend MVS converter. You can get most games fairly cheap). And if not, cd/cdz is a option. I would recommend getting both systems, though, if you have the fund. Just so you can experience all the stuff. W/ both system, you have the option of getting a expensive or rare Neo Geo titles on cd, so you can try them out fairly cheaply (if that's the case, converter maybe the way to go).

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
The Neo CD system has some plusses, but overall you'd be better off getting a home cart system, or if you want to maximize the games and don't care about nice game boxes, inserts, and manuals, get an MVS 1, 2, or 4-slot board, WITH onboard joystick and stereo out connectors, and a MAS Super NOVA, and then pick up arcade (MVS) carts for a reasonable price to play on your TV. If I were starting now, that's the way I'd go . . . but I started back in the very beginning, so picked up plenty of nice, and some very rare carts.

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Neo Geo CD absolutely sucks. I can get up and go to the bathroom and then its ready. If you like to wait your life away go for it but if you think life is to short go with the Cart. I HATE THAT DAMN MONKEY TOO !!!!!!!