Help! Proble with MVS converter

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
Hi. Just got the MVS converter (Shawn's Ver), but there is a problem. I can't get the MVS converter to fit in the KOF 94 (my only MVS for the moment). Is it supposed to be like that? The converter is too small for the MVS cart. I just e-mailed the seller. The seller is fairly decent so, I am sure that everything will be fixed in a while. But in mean time, what should I do? I shaved a bit of contact, but it didn't help. I got it to fit and work once, somehow. But I ended up using my wrench to pry the cart loose. If I keep trying to fit the thing in, I think I will either break the Neo Geo system, MVS cart, or the converter itself. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Robi15

20 Year Member
Well, I have the same converter.First, try to put one of the MVS cart sides in to the converter and then keep it there. Then press easy the other side down. That should work.

Allso when you later remove the game, be careful. Use a sheet or blanket. But it between the cart and converter short edges. Use a screwdriver and gently bend the cart up. Is it heavily stuck, swich to the other side and repeat the procedure. Hope this info will help.

Robi15

[This message has been edited by Robi15 (edited September 16, 2000).]

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
Thanks for the info. I will try your suggestions later (have to see the Olympics). I didn't know that it will be such a hassel to play the MVS carts! Hope it works. Thanks again.

Robi15

20 Year Member
The "tightness" differs among the MVS carts.
Some are easy to remove and some not. With the time, the converter looses up a bit. I like this converter a lot. It works perfectly.
All the newer carts I have on AES versions.(Games after KOF'98). Striker 1945 and PI2 are two games you can't play though. That is if you don't convert them in to homeones.
smile.gif

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Like I said 3 years ago, those adapters can ruin your AES system.

To me it is not really worth the risk of playing some of the MVS games just to save a few bucks.

The original adapter was terrible and put a heavy strain on the AES system boards. The newer adapter is better since the MVS carts plug in directly on top, but still those things are not 100% compatible with all games - not mentioning the games using the newest board revisions.

Better to buy a MVS 1 slot or MVS cabinet to play the MVS games - or. go AES and get the carts converted.

Dion - "not one for the adapters"

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
I sure hope you didn't pay a lot for that adapter. NGF is selling them for $120.

Dion - "NeoGeoFreak"

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
IT works slightly better w/ Blazing Star (just got it). Robi, you are right. I talked w/ the seller. He said that it will get better over time. And thanks for the advice. It helped.

Dion, what do you mean by I hope you didn't pay alot for it? You are the one that contacted me that what I was bidding on had sound problems w/ 1995 carts, and can't play older games. You e-mailed me again, telling me that I should retract my bid. When I was out bid, I contacted you and got the (korean) converter reserved for $160 (enclosed version), but when I found that the seller was right, and you were wrong about the item (it plays games perfectly upto 1998), I canceled the order and rebid on the item and won. I am happy w/ what I paid, or I would have bought your product from Korea.

DIY

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Originally posted by Dion:
I sure hope you didn't pay a lot for that adapter. NGF is selling them for $120.

Dion - "NeoGeoFreak"

What does this Converter play up to?

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
That converter plays upto 1998 as well, but w/ problems. It has sound problems w/ 1995 carts, and can't play some older carts, I think...And it is a horizontal version. The one I have is vertical. I heard that it can eventually fry your Neo Geo system. My version,I believe, is Neo Geo friendly-as long as you take good care of it.

Robi15

20 Year Member
I have had this converter for over 6 months and nothing has gone wrong. The converter play's just perfectly. It is of good quality and compact, top loading. I'm very happy with it.
I live in a one room apartment so I have not so much space. (Stockholm City - hard to find apartments there). So thanks to the converter I can take the MVS games I want with me and play them there. At my parents house I have my MVS cabinet. So I can play MVS carts where ever I go.
smile.gif