Sega Astro City Monitor Replacment??

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
So my monitor has been acting up since I got my astro, so now I'm thinking on swapping it out. Now, I don't know shit about monitors and never replaced one. I really don't want to go used and have one shipped from japan for crazy money. I'm thinking on going with a American monitor since I could pick one up locally or get one shipped for a reasonable price. Now which monitors would fit in the astro and plug in fine without any issues?

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
How is it "acting up"?

FusionITR

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I'm not even sure a "drop in" monitor is possible, but do you realize how expensive arcade monitors are, even american ones? I would suggest getting it repaired if possible. I also have a Astro city cab whose monitor I'm getting repaired right now. PM me if you want the contact for that.

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
Yeah, I've seen guys try and replace the monitors. But the curve of the tube is never the same and leaves gaps in the corners. If i were you, I'd keep the same tube and just get the chassis repaired or get a new chassis.

Get the Rodotron 666A-29 from http://www.giz10p.co.uk/monitors/chassis/cat_26.html
When ordering tell him it's for an Astro City

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yea, There's a local place here called betsons and they repair arcade monitors, maybe Ill just take it to them.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Alright guys, so I'm thinking on giving this bad boy a good cleaning and going over all the connections to make sure something is not loose. I completley pulled the whole monitor out of my cab and in the process I disconnected some connectors and don't remember where they go, lol. I do this shit all the time. Here are some pics.

Were does this connecto too?

How about this one?

And this one?

And here are some pics of the Video Board

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Anyone wanna buy a broken monitor, I just threw the fuckin thing across my living room. I have no patience for this shit.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Red wire is your degauss coil wire. It usually has a two pin connector near a corner of the chassis.

4-wire yoke connector attaches to one of the two 4-pin connectors you show in the pic. Not sure which one. I don't think it would hurt your monitor if you put it in the wrong one. Maybe would just flip the pic?

Black wire connects to the neck board as a ground wire. There will be a 1-pin connector on the neck board.

I've never worked on one of these so sorry I can't be more specific.

Dion

If you truly did break it I'd buy the chassis and the yoke off the tube. If the chassis isn't cracked, of course.

Monitors aren't very complicated really. They all pretty much function the same. Once you learn something about one you can troubleshoot another usually. I watched Randy Fromms old monitor video and it really opened my eyes. I recommend it.

Next time you take a monitor apart use a digital camera and take pictures of where all of the wires you disconnect are. That's what I do and it help tremendously for a monitor I work on for the first time.

FusionITR

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Anyone wanna buy a broken monitor, I just threw the fuckin thing across my living room. I have no patience for this shit.

:lolz::lolz::lolz: that's the funniest shit I've read in awhile. I can't believe you did that dude. I don't know why you didn't just try to put the thing back together or just wait for replies before breaking it.

FusionITR

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Will do. Just let me figure out what I'm going to replace this one with now. I'm looking at this bad boy right now. http://www.betson.com/products/IMP-44-4070-RT

I don't know much about arcade monitors specifically but I do know about computer monitors and video specs. This one thing jumps out at me:

Resolution: 800x600 pixels

Thats a non-standard arcade resolution. It says it's a multisync monitor though so I assume it can do different frequencies that that. I would make sure it can sync 15.7khz, 24khz and 31khz games before I buy it though. And by the way you can get a brand new MS9-29 chasis for way less than that monitor.

Dion

Can you take some pics of the labels on the tube before you toss it? I want to get the tube number to see what kind it uses.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Why would you chuck a monitor?

They are so necessary to fix...

Not many left in this world.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Jesus dude, you're never going to get a replacement that's anywhere near as good as a MS9...:oh_no:

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
Jesus dude, you're never going to get a replacement that's anywhere near as good as a MS9...:oh_no:

I think it's a perfectly good idea to throw an original MS9 across the living room.

Why would you want an original Japanese monitor (that most cab owners would kill for) when you could settle for a sub-par American monitor that won't fit in the cab right?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Fuck it! I'll just bite the bullet and get another one refurbished. Im going to try and get this one repaired and If I can't, I'll just probably sell off what I can or just scrap it. I don't know how to fix these things and there really is know body around here who repairs stuff like this in jersey. I asked local arcade repair shop here about japanese arcade monitors, its like they either pass the buck to somone else or don't return my calls. Shit pisses me off.

It sucks when you got a problem you can't fix and there is no one to turn too. Shit is mad frustrating. Thats how monitors end up flying across the living room. My main goal was to crack the glass, but instead I just heard a loud pop. Was kind of dissapointed in myself, should of thrown it harder. Kicking myself in the ass for selling off my stand ups. At least I would be able to locate the parts here and replace what need be.

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
In all seriousness, you necked the monitor?

Do you have any idea how dangerous it is to work on these things at all let alone do a stunt like that.

You are lucky you're not hurt, and there's not thousands of shards of glass all over your living room.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I think it's a perfectly good idea to throw an original MS9 across the living room.

Why would you want an original Japanese monitor (that most cab owners would kill for) when you could settle for a sub-par American monitor that won't fit in the cab right?

I had 2 sub-par American monitors for 3 years and I was never bothered by there image quality. They worked just fine.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
In all seriousness, you necked the monitor?

Do you have any idea how dangerous it is to work on these things at all let alone do a stunt like that.

You are lucky you're not hurt, and there's not thousands of shards of glass all over your living room.

I was looking forward to it.

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
you probably busted a monitor that would have been easy to fix had we gotten a chance to diagnose the problem. you never even told us what was wrong with it.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
It doesn't matter now. The damage is done. Good riddance.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I kind of felt better too when It broke. It was kind of a relief. Because now I don't have to think about it anymore. I know now I need a new one and don't have to go through the hassle of trying to repair it. I know it sounds fucked up, but thats really how I feel.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Not many of those monitors left.

Some would have killed to buy that from you.