Is my Metal Slug 3 a boot or damaged?

G-sample

Cheng's Errand Boy
So I just got this Slug 3 cart and I stumble on this screen...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45479223@N03/4336069971/in/photostream/

I've never seen a Slug score screen like this. The 1st score is mine on 1st playthru. Even odder there seems to be a missing crab enemy at random on stage one. Right on the top right after you get the super grenade there is suppose to be two crabs right? :scratch: Oh and stage 4 starts like it should then all of a sudden the screens gets darker.

Here are the board pics plus a lable.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45479223@N03/4336858252/in/photostream/

The person I got it from insisted that the cart is indeed legit. When opening the cart it was dirty on some of it. E.g. Evidence of some kind of a spill. I dunno what exactly but some of it is faint and appears to be permament. I couldnt get it cleaned 100%. Therefor I do not know if this a boot or a damaged cart. As dumb as that sounds Im not really sure on this. Anyone that can help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Ruell

, I FORGOT MY SECRET SANTA OBLIGATION. FUCK ME, RI
The boards are legit. Sucks if they were damaged though with a spill. All I can say is clean it throughly with 100% alchohol, or if you want to try some members might suggest throwing it into a dishwasher.

G-sample

Cheng's Errand Boy
The boards are legit. Sucks if they were damaged though with a spill. All I can say is clean it throughly with 100% alchohol, or if you want to try some members might suggest throwing it into a dishwasher.

A dishwaher!? Are you serious? Is that even safe? :scratch:

BattraxZ

Banned
I don't have much to contribute but if I were you I would try using the alcohol suggested above. With some sort of little paintbrush.Like for model painting. Get soft tip brushes and natural type will probably soak more grunge up than synthetics. I myself would use more than one i.e. a wet one and a dry one like an archaeologist or something? maybe thats too careful if they can hold up too a dishwasher.
Probably more than twice before I even considered putting them in a dishwasher.

unfortunately the stuff you're seeing may be the epoxy coat and it could be be some sort of damage cleaning won't fix. I don't really know though.

This needs to be out there more :http://mvs.gotwalls.com/index.php/Main_Page

Last edited:

G-sample

Cheng's Errand Boy
I don't have much to contribute but if I were you I would try using the alcohol suggested above. With some sort of little paintbrush.Like for model painting. I myself would use more than one i.e. a wet one and a dry one like an archaeologist or something?
Probably more than twice before I even considered putting them in a dishwasher.

I don't really know though.

Dunno if the brush would work or not. Might be harsh on boards.

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member

Many members have used this method to clean pcbs (including myself). It's worked wonders for me. Just be sure to wash them without soap and without the drying cycle. Use a fan to dry them. Channelmaniac (Mr. Neo Fix it) has a thread at newlifegames.net that explains it pretty well. It's safe with Neo cart Pcbs.

G-sample

Cheng's Errand Boy
Many members have used this method to clean pcbs (including myself). It's worked wonders for me. Just be sure to wash them without soap and without the drying cycle. Use a fan to dry them. Channelmaniac (Mr. Neo Fix it) has a thread at newlifegames.net that explains it pretty well. It's safe with Neo cart Pcbs.

Very interesting. I will try this soon as I get a chance. I got no dishwasher so Im gonna have find someone who does. Thanks everbody.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
I often wash my boards under the tap and leave them outside for a few hours to dry.

I think using a dishwasher is a bit ridiculous unless its a PCB thats had Coke spilt over it or something.

ulasamosa

Astra Superstar

I'm not trying to be offensive at all but I love it when people say this. Its not the water that kills electronics. Its the voltage running thru them while they are exposed to the water. If there is no current, 9/10 times your gonna be fine. A buddy of mine this past summer knocked his laptop off of a small picnic table out side while it was powered off and into one of those little kiddie pools. The thing was totally submerged and water literally poured out of thing when he picked it up. He turned it on its side and let it sit in his garage for about a week, powered up and is working just fine. I have put several PC keyboards thru the dishwasher as well. Really get the job done well. Like others have said, do not use the drying cycle as the extreme heat WILL damage the boards.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
If you decide to go that route, make sure your dishwasher is clean. Run it with no soap four or five times, then put any boards in that you want to clean, and as everyone else has said, TURN OFF THE DRY CYCLE.

G-sample

Cheng's Errand Boy
I'm not trying to be offensive at all but I love it when people say this. Its not the water that kills electronics. Its the voltage running thru them while they are exposed to the water. If there is no current, 9/10 times your gonna be fine. A buddy of mine this past summer knocked his laptop off of a small picnic table out side while it was powered off and into one of those little kiddie pools. The thing was totally submerged and water literally poured out of thing when he picked it up. He turned it on its side and let it sit in his garage for about a week, powered up and is working just fine. I have put several PC keyboards thru the dishwasher as well. Really get the job done well. Like others have said, do not use the drying cycle as the extreme heat WILL damage the boards.

None taken.

G-sample

Cheng's Errand Boy
Im aiming to clean it this Tues. Will repeated washings back to back like 2 or 3 times be ok? I don't wanna over do it.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
LOL!! All of these posts about crazy cart cleaning. All you need to do is reset the board's RAM memory and it'll fix this. Glitches like this are a totally common problem. The empty score screen makes it obvious. Just make sure the cart is decently clean.

G-sample

Cheng's Errand Boy
LOL!! All of these posts about crazy cart cleaning. All you need to do is reset the board's RAM memory and it'll fix this. Glitches like this are a totally common problem. The empty score screen makes it obvious. Just make sure the cart is decently clean.

And how exactly do I go about doing this? :scratch:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Go to the hardware test menu. You'll figure it out. No wonder you're having problems. I have to do it pretty frequently -- whenever I put in a game and the graphics are scrambled, the data in the ram (options, scores etc.) can end up screwed up too.

G-sample

Cheng's Errand Boy
Go to the hardware test menu. You'll figure it out. No wonder you're having problems. I have to do it pretty frequently -- whenever I put in a game and the graphics are scrambled, the data in the ram (options, scores etc.) can end up screwed up too.

Actually I figured it out befor your reply. lol. Score screen is fixed. But graphics are still glitchy. Im still gonna wash it and see what happens. Thanks.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
The submerging boards in water is fine. I've done it before on electronics (intentionally or not) and as long as you let it fully dry before powering it on, your cool

hard part is making sure there is not a SINGLE drop of water hiding. I dropped my powered off phone in the sink once. Tossed it in a bowl of rice (which absorbs moisture very well) for 2 days, powered it on, worked for over a year (till I lost it!)

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
You're really not that far if you want me to take a look at it or check your cart for you

BattraxZ

Banned
I don't mean to be rude but isn't hard water something to consider in this equation where "everyones doing it"? Mineral Deposits and such. Haven't you ever used the sprayer at the car wash and had your paint come off? Sorry for your loss.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Your car must have an incredibly shitty paint job.. I used to detail cars for a living and have never once seen a high pressure water gun take off paint.