RGB to S-Video Conversion

SmokeYa

Crossed Swords Squire
I was thinking of making my own little portable MVS system. What is the proper way to convert RGB to S-Video? Is there a tutorial posted on the web somewhere?

Thanks

SmokeYa

Crossed Swords Squire
Nevermind, I found an excellent solution without having to spend a couple hundred bucks on a board from MAS systems.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Yes . . . we're all waiting to hear what your solution is?

As far as I know, the two good solutions are a MAS SuperNova or an HGA system. But if you think you have another option that doesn't cost $300 . . . ?

eazy

Cheng's Errand Boy
hey smokeya

i just used Mas RGB-NSTC Converter for my Hyper Neo Geo 64 Home system (and istalled joystick connectors) so i can use my old neo geo controlers with it.

yes Smokeya the converter is awesome (and easy to install) are you planing on turning you mvs 1-slot into a home system? Well have fun (there some othere RGB-NSTC Converters out there!) but I think MAS has the Beat

othere place i used from is WWW.TWOBIT.COM they hade very nice converters! but i never used it used it in converting a arcade system to a home one before (it maybe alittle bigger thene the one for MAS ) but i been told there better? (but i cant tell!)

SmokeYa

Crossed Swords Squire
Actually I built my own RGB-NTSC converter board. I'm using one of the latest NTSC converter chips. I was able to build a prototype board for only about $15. MAS systems charges $125 for their boards, which I think is extremely high. Besides, I heard the composite video output was pretty bad on the MAS board. I understand why the composite video is bad on most converter boards and I know how the proper solution to fix it (explanation is complicated).

My circuit board is complete, I'm just waiting for the encoder chips to arrive.

I don't really need a home mvs system, but I just thought it would be fun to try to build one from scratch. I'm an electrical engineer and I enjoy these types of projects. I was thinking about possibly even selling the boards if I am happy with their performance. I will probably just end up making a tutorial for making the boards and posting it on the web.

eazy

Cheng's Errand Boy
hey smokeya if you loike the protypes let me know i buy some off ya! i need some baddly! let me know

thanks