Cleaning MVS Carts

C

charles

I have found the best way to do this. Don't use alcohol based cleaners or anything like that. Just go to any local Wal-Mart type store and find the cheap, 2-colored erasers. They have to have a gritty side that feels like sandpaper.

Anyway, just open your cart, carefully remove boards and scrub the contacts with the eraser. It works wonders. I get older MVS carts and they almost always need cleaning.

Just a friendly suggestion =)

Mike

Bead Banger
I suggest going to your local Funcoland and purchasing an 8-bit Nintendo game cleaner. The kit is soft enough not to scratch and damage the contacts but brittle enough to clean the crap out of the contacts as well.

C

charles

But what does it use to scrub the contacts? Is it liquid based? I have found a cheap eraser of a certain composition is the best for cleanings. It's not abrasive enough to damage the contacts, but still strong enough to clean the grime.

Mike

Bead Banger
It uses 2 little "scrubbers" one for cleaning with a contact friendly type of alcohol, and one for drying. Usually about 10 bucks or so.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Problem with the Funcoland cleaner is that it is a ripoff. They charge $10 for less than 50 cents worth of materials. It kinda makes me sick that Funcoland always pushes the stupid cleaning kits on every customer that comes in there, even though 98% of the time they aren't needed. Like, who needs to "clean" their Playstation system? It's CD based, DUH, the only thing that might need cleaning is the disks themselves.

Anyway, I got a Samurai Spirits 2 cart that had oxidized contacts, and I actually used SANDPAPER to clean them.
frown.gif

It worked, but it leaves them scratched looking, so I don't recommend it. I'll take charles' idea about the rough erasor, sounds more safe . . .
biggrin.gif

Mike

Bead Banger
Granted the Funcoland cleaner is a rip-it does work. Not only do you get the scrubbers but you also get the dry cleaner strip to clean the inside of your systems contacts. I know that it doesn't fit so you have to use your surgical skills in ripping off the outer casing. Don't worry, I am not a funcoland rep or anything-I just like the cleaner. Besides, how many times are you going to clean your carts with SANDPAPER? and an Ink eraser before you wear out the contacts?