mvs-6 motherboard trouble

thmlrmg

n00b
Hey guys, I have a mvs-6 that had a bad motherboard. I got another one and my game works fine. I was wanting to fix the other board so I would have a back up. I did find out that it is the bottom board that isn't working. I put the removable chip (don't know what it is called) in the non working board and it still didn't work. I was wondering if that battery on the right side maybe my trouble?? Any input would be appreciated..

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Remove the battery. The 4 and 6 slot board batteries tend to leak and eat traces, some have traces the run very close to the battery. Sometimes it doesn't even look like it is leaking when it is or has leaked.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
The board will work fine without the battery, however like XX said it may have leaked and caused some damage.

Look for any signs of a leak and if there is any, remove the battery immediately and clean the area with isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush.

Nightmare Tony

*Account control passed, on to Tony's family.Ex Ro
What is the bottom motherboard doing? Running with no battery I would find a locked up at calendar error, but thats me.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
If you want to repair it yourself, post symptoms and pics of what it shows on a monitor. Also, look in my repair logs as I've posted a LOT on MVS repairs I've done and for pinouts/chip info, etc.

RJ

thmlrmg

n00b
Hey guys, thanks for all the quick responses. The bottom mother board does nothing when I turn it on. I get lights on my credit displays and that is it. It won't coin up and the monitor is blank no audio either.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Blank? No colors and no garbage on the screen?

Sounds like the crystal oscillator isn't working. Replace the 74HC368 chip next to the crystal on the board. It's not too far from the JAMMA connector.

RJ

thmlrmg

n00b
Blank? No colors and no garbage on the screen?

Sounds like the crystal oscillator isn't working. Replace the 74HC368 chip next to the crystal on the board. It's not too far from the JAMMA connector.

RJ

Yeah, blank. I get nothing just like it was unplugged. I will try and replace that chip and see what happens. Thanks

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Before you go too hog wild, have you checked for proper +5v on the board from the power supply?

thmlrmg

n00b
Before you go too hog wild, have you checked for proper +5v on the board from the power supply?

I have checked that all the voltages at the jamma connector are correct. Is that what you are talking about. I have another motherboard that works fine in it. I am trying to fix a broken bottom board.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
What is the bottom motherboard doing? Running with no battery I would find a locked up at calendar error, but thats me.
Sorry, I was under the impression it worked fine without the battery for some reason. Haven't personally tried it.