2 Slot Consolizing Questions

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
After looking at the Post a pic of your CMVS thread, I'm really wanting to consolize a 2 slot, and in a unique way. I've got a couple of questions

1. Say I were to mount a button in the top of the metal shielding near the slots, how much clearance would I have between the shielding and the board. I'm hoping someone with an 2 slot could actually measure this.

2. Does anyone know if you can tap into +5v and ground on the slots? I think it would slick to wire up a LED for each slot that'll light up when that slot's being used.

3. Anyone got good condition, functional 2 slot for sale that I can do this to? ;)

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
1. Most any button should be able to clear

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Under the cover you have about 1.5".

As for the LED, I believe the power to the slots are always there so it might be better to incorporate something with the marquee switching instead.

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
Under the cover you have about 1.5".

As for the LED, I believe the power to the slots are always there so it might be better to incorporate something with the marquee switching instead.

I noticed the 2 slot boards had a header on them for the marquee. So the Game Select and marquee are supposed to work together. Push the button, game switches, marquee changes right? So does the 2 slot just provide power to one marquee at a time through the header?

I had planned to use a couple of these switches for Power and Game Select and place them next to the slots

http://www.crazypc.com/products/vandal_switch-82390G.html

Those are momentary. But the Latching kind do exist and that'd be what I'd use, at least for the power. The idea was to only have the LED powered on one at a time depending on which game was selected.

Xian Xi, looks like I'll be ordering one of those tabletop power supplies and a button cell battery mount from you. Do you have the panel mount 5 pin din for those power supplies? How about Gold RGB connectors?

Edit: Oh yeah, I got the 3rd question answered. I won a 2 slot off ebay.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Sorry I dont have a 5 pin din right now.

As for the light switching you might need to locate an EL panel controller for it to work right unless it works right off the header.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
2. Does anyone know if you can tap into +5v and ground on the slots? I think it would slick to wire up a LED for each slot that'll light up when that slot's being used
I quite like this idea.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
The EL controller board takes care of the switching. The header just supplies power to the board.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Thats a shame. How difficult would it be to reproduce these boards? What chips are on them?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'm guessing a hex inverter driving with maybe +12v?

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
I'm quite sure hex inverter would not supply enough current (maybe HC does?), otherwise you would need to boost the current with transistors.

I wonder if theres any way it can be done with a single active component (just the IC).

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
If we're talking about a board to connect inplace of the EL PCB for the purpose of having a LED light up near each slot when it's in use. 5v would be enough right?

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
So I just got the 2 slot that I'm planning on consolizing and the memory card reader connector's been removed from the board. Anyone have any ideas why someone would do that?

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
Probably took it out of there to put it on another board as a repair or something.

max-ng

Instructions? Pfft. I don't need them.... oh... fu
That's a pain - buyer beware as always. I would send it back and look for another.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Don't be silly, just replace it.

And yes, 5v is exactly what you'd want.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Probably took it out of there to put it on another board as a repair or something.

That and sometimes when on location kids would stuff things in the mem card slot and damage the pins.

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
That's a pain - buyer beware as always. I would send it back and look for another.

Yeah, the auction i won it on says it was labeled as working but it wasn't tested. Sending it back's not really an option.

Don't be silly, just replace it.

You mean the board or the connector? I'm guessing it's not really a standard connector.

I'd like to have a functional memory card reader. But it's not that important. I don't really plan on ever needing to transport saves for Neo Geo since none of my friends have one.

Last edited:

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
That and sometimes when on location kids would stuff things in the mem card slot and damage the pins.

Just like kids stuffing things into the floppy drives back when I was in high school.

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
You mean the board or the connector? I'm guessing it's not really a standard connector.

I've tried looking for replacements but I've never found anything with the same pin configuration, that would fit exactly on the mobo. I'm sure with lots of time and patience you could just take a PCMCIA socket and rewire it to make it work.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
I'd like to have a functional memory card reader. But it's not that important. I don't really plan on ever needing to transport saves for Neo Geo since none of my friends have one.

Well the memory card has more features than simple save transports. There are some other threads floating around here with some great posts on some of the neat features. Definitely worth the effort to track one down and include in your project if you don't have one now.

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
Well the memory card has more features than simple save transports. There are some other threads floating around here with some great posts on some of the neat features. Definitely worth the effort to track one down and include in your project if you don't have one now.

Means I'd have to track down a whole new 2slot. Unless someone has a broken memory card reader from a cab that I could take the connector from.

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
Means I'd have to track down a whole new 2slot. Unless someone has a broken memory card reader from a cab that I could take the connector from.

You could always try asking channelmaniac if he has any extra 2-slots to pull a reader from.

Probably easier to find a broken 2-slot than finding the MV-IC board.