two new machines, two new problems.

m_bish0p

Over Top Auto Mechanic
So, a fellow collector I've dealt with a few times called me on Wednesday and said "I need $300 TONIGHT, you can have my pac-man and my tetris".

So, I've got an original Pac-man and a converted TETRIS added to my collection. Here's what they're doing(or NOT doing).

Pac-Man: I'm really happy with this one, but sometimes the controller doesn't work. It just doesn't respond at all. Usually it does, but it's a pain when it doessn't. Also, the screen quivers from time to time, as if it's not getting enough power.

TETRIS: I knew this one had a bad power supply, but I thought it was just a matter of getting one from HAPPS, right? Well, it's another OLD power supply like the one in Pac-Man.

These things look like voodoo dolls to me. Scary, and slightly magical. These are OLD power supplies. I'm used to switching power supplies that can be replaced. This thing looks like a huge coil...and a fire hazard. Anyway, I don't know anything about it, even how to check the voltage.

So, if anyone has a site link that explains how to replace OLD power supplies, and some hints on what to do with that pac-man, I'd really appreciate it.

[ November 01, 2002: Message edited by: m_bish0p ]</p>

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
With PACMAN? I'll tell you what to do.. put it on a trailer, get on 81 to the turnpike... go east get off on exit 28 and I'll give you a call. I'll pick it up in about 20 minutes.

m_bish0p

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Originally posted by VanillaThunder:
<strong>With PACMAN? I'll tell you what to do.. put it on a trailer, get on 81 to the turnpike... go east get off on exit 28 and I'll give you a call. I'll pick it up in about 20 minutes.</strong><hr></blockquote>

HAHAHAHAHAHA, yeah I know I got the deal of the year. A DELIVERED Pac-Man at that price, and it looks really good and works pretty well too. It just has a few quirks, and I'm crazy about having my machines work PERFECTLY. They may not look perfect, but if I call a machine 'done' the electronics are perfect.

Briggs

I'm getting too old for this shit...,
I can't seem to find it at the moment, but there is a PCB hack to allow you to use a switching PS on the Pacman. Do a Google Groups search in RGVAC and you should find what you need.

Briggs

I'm getting too old for this shit...,
Found it:

<a href="http://www.arcadeshop.com/parts.htm#power" target="_blank">Arcadeshop Amusements</a>

pac-mspac-ps-kit.jpg

These people are as good as they come - right up there with Bob Roberts. I have ordered a lot of stuff from them and have never been dissapointed.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Originally posted by Briggs:
<strong>Found it:

<a href="http://www.arcadeshop.com/parts.htm#power" target="_blank">Arcadeshop Amusements</a>

pac-mspac-ps-kit.jpg

These people are as good as they come - right up there with Bob Roberts. I have ordered a lot of stuff from them and have never been dissapointed.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sweet deal Briggs, this and the JAMMA converter for pacman make it a lot easier to deal with! :)

-Nick

Nightmare Tony

*Account control passed, on to Tony's family.Ex Ro
/From the sounds of it on the Pacamn, it merely sounds like a dirty edge connector. I use a Dremel wire brush wheel to clean the edge. Also, the filter board is not needed and can be thrown.

for the Tetris, ignore about the old power supply, simply get a modern new swithibng power supply and have at it. Tetris is regular JAMMA< so wiring is not tricky. Only caveat: when removing the old power supply, MAKE SURE that the TV monitor power wiring goes through an isolation transformer. You get fireworks if you dont.

m_bish0p

Over Top Auto Mechanic
thanks tony. I probably won't have time to play with it for a while, but I'll make sure I'm careful. Monitors are so damn touchy!

m_bish0p

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Tony,

I'm probably going to have some time to work on that tetris soon, and I was wondering if you had any more information on wiring in the isolation tranformer? A link or anything about be appreciated.

neo_ezekiel

I've been on this site for over 10 years.,
VanillaThunder:

With PACMAN? I'll tell you what to do.. put it on a trailer, get on 81 to the turnpike... go east get off on exit 28 and I'll give you a call. I'll pick it up in about 20 minutes.
<hr></blockquote>

nice one