Thoughts on Sony PVM monitors

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
Thinking of grabbing a Sony PVM monitor for compact retro-gaming goodness and for work bench testing (so I don't have to dig around behind my main TV).

I'm looking at 14" models as I don't have space for the awesome but bulky larger models.

I mostly want one thats "good" and supports RGB from arcade boards, plus component.

All of them seem to to composite and S-video so no worries there.

Anybody have specific models they recommend?

I can get a good price ($25) on a PVM-14N2U that has Composite, S-video and RGB but it looks like no Component.

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
I have owned many PVM monitors in my life (PVM-2530 being the most) and I can tell you that they are good monitors. Especially since you can get them so easily and cheaply. The RGB signal they put out are excellent. However, the only downside to them is that many of them have geometry issues that can only be adjusted by opening up the monitor. I don't mess with component since they output 15 khz RGB.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Thinking of grabbing a Sony PVM monitor for compact retro-gaming goodness and for work bench testing (so I don't have to dig around behind my main TV).

I'm looking at 14" models as I don't have space for the awesome but bulky larger models.

I mostly want one thats "good" and supports RGB from arcade boards, plus component.

All of them seem to to composite and S-video so no worries there.

Anybody have specific models they recommend?

I can get a good price ($25) on a PVM-14N2U that has Composite, S-video and RGB but it looks like no Component.

They didnt have component back in those days. Svideo was the new thing.
I have a 2530 and I love it! Just wish it had svga in. Great picture, they used them for video editing and other things, anybody ever notice them all over the place at Disneyland/World?