Metal Slug Touch Coming To The iPhone

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
It's already out. You play in the tank the entire game, the controls are basically to rotate the cannon/shoot, dodge, and jump.

Waiting for reviews before purchasing.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
A "new" Metal Slug with the same sprites from the 90s? Amazing!

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It's only $5. It's not like they're asking $30+ for it. I'll probably end up trying it at some point.

SSS

neo retired
how about turf masters. that would be a perfect cell phone game.

aria

Former Moderator
It's only $5. It's not like they're asking $30+ for it. I'll probably end up trying it at some point.

I only paid slightly more for a complete version of SimCity 3000 for iPhone. I don't see the value.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I only paid slightly more for a complete version of SimCity 3000 for iPhone. I don't see the value.

I guess I was wondering if it was at least 1/6 as good as Metal Slug Advance. If so, it would be an okay value in those terms.

On a side note, I just picked up Heavy Mach for $1, which is a Korean-made MS clone (tank only) that I'm sure was SNKP's inspiration for trying this. It's pretty fun.

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
I'll give it to SNKP with the trailer, that's the biggest I've ever seen 'squat' on my computer screen.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
SNKP sucks. The key word here is 'did'.

I agree about those games, but they are no longer even trying, so therefor they suck. I say the company folds in 2010.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
SNKP sucks. The key word here is 'did'.

I agree about those games, but they are no longer even trying, so therefor they suck. I say the company folds in 2010.

It's not true they aren't trying. It's just that they are trying and failing. Otherwise they never would have released XII half-finished.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
It's not true they aren't trying. It's just that they are trying and failing. Otherwise they never would have released XII half-finished.

No, it is true. They are idiots. If they really wanted to try, everyone would be playing good games. Even post collapse the games were awesome, none of this shit is excusable on any level.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I guess I was wondering if it was at least 1/6 as good as Metal Slug Advance. If so, it would be an okay value in those terms.

On a side note, I just picked up Heavy Mach for $1, which is a Korean-made MS clone (tank only) that I'm sure was SNKP's inspiration for trying this. It's pretty fun.

Obfuscating the screen with your fingers stinks for action games. I checked out Heavy Mach - conceptual, but it just doesn't work with the touch screen. Seeing the enemies is part of the "fun". Seeing what you're doing makes games work. MStouch did a better job of laying out the controls than Heavy Mach.

SNKp probably was influenced by Heavy Mach. It's amazing to think that a series as deep and influential as Metal Slug was later influenced by something off the radar.

I liked the intro vid for the new Slug Iphone game. . . although it's the same sprites, I felt the animations coupled with the control scheme gave a greater sense of character and attachment to the vehicle. The crouch animation seemed that much more cute.

I must have missed why you have the option to select different characters if you're stuck in the tank.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Didn't they?
Yes. That's why I said they did. You okay?

Obfuscating the screen with your fingers stinks for action games. I checked out Heavy Mach - conceptual, but it just doesn't work with the touch screen.
Eh, I think the Heavy Mach controls work great. Very intuitive and the tank is very easily maneuverable, even under a lot of fire from all directions. Yeah, you sometimes have to have your finger on an enemy, which is weird, but most of the time I have my finger behind the enemy directing the line of fire through them, not on them.

Floob

Kabuki Klasher
Is Metal Slug on the iPhone for USA only - cant see it on the UK app store.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Okay, I tried it. It's okay, but nothing to go crazy about. Very short. And the controls are incredibly counter-intuitive, especially after playing Heavy Mach for a few days.

I played through the whole thing in about 15 minutes (I guess. Could have been more or less; I wasn't timing it). It's all rehash material (no surprise) except you are in a Slug or plane all the time. There is no reason to choose one character over another; there aren't any differences in gameplay or ending. I won't complain, though, because I love the MS2 character select screen.

The controls take a little while to get used to, and even after you do, they don't work all that hot. Even in a best case scenario, aiming takes WAAAAAAAAY too long for this type of game, as you slowly rotate the cannon all the way around to each target. The Heavy Mach touch aiming works much better and faster. And having to finger-swipe to jump makes it really awkward to try and avoid stuff by tilting to move at the same time. Seriously, try tilting and swiping simultaneously. Not impossible, but harder than it needs to be. Again, Heavy Mach does it much better. More intuitive and much easier to maneuver in tight spots while jumping.

Which is not to say Heavy Mach is the greatest game ever, either. It never does work up a real challenge, imo. And it lacks the personality of Metal Slug's animation and music. But its control scheme works a billion times better. And it's also a lot longer than Metal Slug Touch. Easily more than double the length.

Is Metal Slug Touch worth $5? Eh, probably not. But comics cost about that much now, and I've bought plenty of comics I've gotten less enjoyment out of than this, so I'm not outraged or anything. It's (a little piece of) Metal Slug on my phone, and that's kind of cool.

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
It seems ashame they could get a good slug game out on the iPhone, but maybe other games might be better suited. Hope they can pull there finger out in the future.