Memory Card lifespan & replacement?!

endgamer

Another Striker
I just received my brand new memory card and the sheet says it will live for up to five years. Anyone know if it will live longer and if not is there a way to open it up and replace like the battery inside, if there is one. Any answers are much appreciated.

Ex-Cyber

n00b
I've heard plenty of anecdotal evidence of battery-backed RAM living longer than it's supposed to. I don't remember the design of the card case so I don't know about replacing the battery. However, it's not required that you use an SNK-branded card; the memory card interface is supposed to conform to a PCMCIA/JEIDA standard; Digi-Key has a few cards that seem to conform to a more recent (4.x, rather than the 3.x referred to by most pages I saw on the subject) revision of this standard. The cards can be found in their online catalog on page 290, but they're a bit expensive.

[ June 17, 2001: Message edited by: Ex-Cyber ]

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
PCMCIA Type II Memory cards can be used in the Neo Geo. They are about $10 for 8 MEGs right now... should fit the bill nicely.

-Nick

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
Nruva just picked one up from Fry's for cheap. If you don't have a Fry's in Illinois, go to any computer superstore that sells stuff for laptops or Ebay. I saw a nice 8MB card sell for $2 on Ebay recently.