Opinions on all the PS2 port collections

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
The only one I own is Samurai Shodown Anthology and it seems good enough to me. I'd like to get the Fatal Fury Battle Archives, Art of Fighting and World Heroes collections as well but I'm wondering if they were decent ports. I know the Orochi Saga KOF collection was supposedly pretty bad.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
The only one I own is Samurai Shodown Anthology and it seems good enough to me. I'd like to get the Fatal Fury Battle Archives, Art of Fighting and World Heroes collections as well but I'm wondering if they were decent ports. I know the Orochi Saga KOF collection was supposedly pretty bad.

A general rule of thumb is that all Neo collections run better on the Wii than on the PS2...Wii Orochi is awesome and avoids a lot of the pitfalls of the PS2 port. The only exception to this is that Metal Slug Anthology is better to have on PS2 for the expanded controller options.

My experiences with the PS2 ports I own (might be a little off since I haven't played them in a while):

Fatal Fury Archives 1 & 2: Solid ports of the game with no in game loading or emulation issues. The only downside is that these ports are the US Neo versions, which means no blood. Aside from a color edit mode and arranged BGMs there are no extras.

AoF: Same as FFA collections.

WH: Same as above.

Samurai Shodown: Bullshit soft filter permanently set for SS1-SS5 (in the other comps you can set it at will), in game loading, otherwise the same as above.

I also have SNK Arcade Classics, MSA and Orochi but those are on the Wii. These three comps are much nicer than the other ones and feature more playing options per game along with galleries and other unlockables. The games run almost perfect on the Wii (with the exception of MSA which is crap no matter what system it's on).

Hope this helps!

SHO

Raiden's Valet
I have all those ports you guys talking about except samurai shodown ant, don't seem to be available on pal.
they are all pretty nice, except KOF orochi saga, in the game i can select to play 50hz or 60hz, if i choose 50hz i get a big black border on the bottom of my tv, if I choose 60hz it looses the border but then it stretches down so much I lost abit of the picture at the bottom, damn it how can they not get this right???
the other ports didn't have this problem!

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Sorry mods, I meant to put this in General Discussion.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
From all I have played.

Worth it (good emulation, standard options available; basically feels like the MVS/AES versions with the bonus of Neo CD soundtracks):

-Fatal Fury Battle Archives 1
-Fatal Fury Battle Archives 2
-AOF Collection
-Fu'un Super Combo (Japan-only)(Savage Reign, Kizuna Encounter)
-Samurai Shodown Anthology
-Sunsoft Collection (Japan-only) (Galaxy Fight, Waku Waku 7)
-ADK Tamashii (Japan-only)(Does not offer arranged music)(Ninja Combat, Ninja Commando, Ninja Master's, Twinkle Star Sprites, Agressors Of Dark Kombat)

Decent:

-KOF Orochi Saga (has audio issues)

Crap:

-The Last Blade 1&2 (Shit port; has frame rate problems.)

Annatar

Kabuki Klasher
I personally think that the best of this collection, based on the quality of the emulation, this means graphics, sound, controls, gameplay etc are:

Fatal fury battle archives 2 ( jap version with blood not censored)

Fatal fury battle archves 1( jap version)

Art fo fighting anthology ( jap version, the us version had some voices cut for some strange reason)

Fuun Super combo (just amazing if you like kizuna encounters and savage reign)

ADK tamashii ( every game is accurately emulated, and get to play Ninja Masters in a console without paying 700 bucks just rules.:buttrock:

I also own the orochi collection in its both versions, the us and the jap wich are completely different games. i havent found more issues than the audio ones in both collection.

LOKIOLR

n00b
They're all pretty cheap now anyways regardless of the platform, so it's pretty much win / win.

pepharytheworm

Super Sidekicks 3
I prefer the versions on the Wii. The PS2 ports are okay but I think they look better on my Neo Geo Cd. Loadings not bad on the ps2. I didn't know there was a Last Blade 1 & 2 ps2 port.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
One thing to note is that I've heard the Fatal Fury 3 port is marred by the fact that those idiots forgot to take into account you need to use the start button to activate the hidden DMs. And since 'start' pauses the game, there's no way to do that in the port.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
The import-only Last Blade collection is marred by the fact that the arranged music has horrible digital distortion throughout. It sounds terrible. Of course, if you prefer the OST, it's not a big deal, but it's worth noting.

video_disease

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I was thinking of getting the Last Blade port, but is it the graphics or sound that are messed up? I have seen both listed in this thread, I wouldn't mind just having the OST but the graphics thing is a deal breaker for sure.

astrodan88

King's Dry Cleaner
I was thinking of getting the Last Blade port, but is it the graphics or sound that are messed up? I have seen both listed in this thread, I wouldn't mind just having the OST but the graphics thing is a deal breaker for sure.

Even beyond the sound issue, the last blade collection has very noticeable frame rate problems (particularly LB2). Don't waste your time with it; you WILL be sorry.

I was so excited about this one when it came out. I thought it would be the ultimate LB experience: arranged music with bearable loading times!
Oh, the disappointment.

Not only was the arranged music fubared, but the stuttering frame rate makes serious play impossible regardless of music.
At least the cover art is cool...:crying:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I would play the PS1 port of Last Blade and the DC port of Last Blade 2 before I'd play the PS2 anthology of Last Blade. And I bought all three of them.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I have most of the Jpn Online Collections for PS2, and they're all pretty credible ports in my opinion. The KoF collections are excellent, although I've heard the US version of the Orochi Sage isn't very good... Jpn one is spot on imo.

The only port I don't like is the Last Blade Collection. For some reason LB2 just doesn't play the same as the AES version, I really don't like it.

Not played ADK Tamashii, Garou MOTW, Samurai Spirits Anthology, or KoF 2k2 Ultimate Battle so can't really say what they're like.

Overall I highly recommend the Jpn versions of teh portz. :vik:

jago

I Wish I livedIn Belgium,
the baddest for me is snk arcade classics port on ps2 , framerate problems,
psp port is better,

but i don't know why, i don't like playing neo games on ps1, ps2, or anything,
only way to get pleasure for me is on the real hardware, mvs or aes.

am i crazy? :conf:

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
One thing to note is that I've heard the Fatal Fury 3 port is marred by the fact that those idiots forgot to take into account you need to use the start button to activate the hidden DMs. And since 'start' pauses the game, there's no way to do that in the port.

:eek: WHAT!?

....that's literately retarded.

I have the KOF 00/01 and 02/03 and enjoy them both very much(mvs carts are better of course, but the ports aren't bad). I absolutely hated the MSA collection because there's input lag and everything looks like shit.

For those of you who own the Wii versions....how the hell are you supposed to play kof on a wii? Do you need to get an arcade stick?

Spoonman1

Overtop Pathfinder
Fuck the wii versions simply for the dumb ass controller and the rarity of an arcade stick.

If you can play with a DualShock I don't see a problem with using a Classic Controller for the Wii (and those are not rare, for sure), for me it has worked great so far.

NotoriousReignz

Morden's Lackey
If you can play with a DualShock I don't see a problem with using a Classic Controller for the Wii (and those are not rare, for sure), for me it has worked great so far.

Still feels a bit awkward to me with the classic controller, never mind the fact that it has to be connected to a wii remote.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
For those of you who own the Wii versions....how the hell are you supposed to play kof on a wii? Do you need to get an arcade stick?

The Classic Controller is great, especially if you're used to SNES fighters.

I have a Hori Wii stick and it's excellent...I'd nab one if you can. It works just like a normal Classic Controller without the need for extra batteries or hassle. All of the DMs and such that I had problems with on the CC were pulled off without a hitch. I don't mod but I heard that it's easy to swap out sticks and buttons and such.

GameStop apparently carries it instore....just check your ZIP and see who has it. I got mine from MicroCenter but those are hella scarce.

Also, there's a rumor that Capcom and MadCatz will be making a TvC Fightstick when the game launches. :eye::eye:

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Also, there's a rumor that Capcom and MadCatz will be making a TvC Fightstick when the game launches. :eye::eye:

Thats not really a rumor any more. The only problem with the Mad Catz stick is that it plugs into the Wii remote, I would prefer something that plugs into the Gamecube control ports. But its based on the SF4 SE stick so its easily modded, which you'd probably want to do because the SE's stock parts suck.

Asure

Captain Dick,
I think everyone forgets the Metal Slug 1 port that had terrible loading times, after walking right for about 10 seconds :)

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
I think everyone forgets the Metal Slug 1 port that had terrible loading times, after walking right for about 10 seconds :)

I can't comment on the PS2 version but on the Wii SNK Arcade Classics MS1 is actually almost spot on...IIRC there was a missing sound clip or something minor like that but it plays perfectly with no loading. It's probably the same version that you can get on the Virtual Console.

MSA is horrible though...to think I originally got a Wii for that game. :angry:

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
They all seem to have flaws (sometimes big, sometimes small) but they are cheap and they're certainly better than nothing at all. If you combine them with the Neo Geo Stick 2 (on PS2 and Wii as well I think) you get a pretty affordable Neo Geo experience which includes a good chunk of the library is still growing (?).