Debug BIOS Question...

Sigmund

n00b
Hi. I'm pretty new to all of this. Can someone give me a good explanation of exactly what the Debug BIOS gives you in an AES system?

I'm looking at buying an AES system with the S-Video, Stereo, and Debug BIOS modifications. I've looked, and I really haven't found any one place that gives an explanation of exactly what the Debug BIOS does, or how you use it. All I've found is the MVS Razlooza BIOS.

Thanks in advance guys.

Sigmund

RonStock

n00b
Debug allows you to turn on blood and bouncy tits, on US carts. It gives you a few other options like dip switch settings, but blood and "bounce" are the main points.

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
Well its really nice, you can make an AES to an MVS with it.
This means you can youse all soft dips for serveral things you can do with an MVS also.
The best part is you can do stage selections and play hidden players. Select country japanes or US ( japanese mode often has blood and some fatalatys ( like in Samurai Shodown 2 )
Also you can do freeplay and give you a higer amount of lives in shooter games........ well you can do to mutch with it.

Hope this helps.

Sigmund

n00b
Gamemaster:
Well its really nice, you can make an AES to an MVS with it.
This means you can youse all soft dips for serveral things you can do with an MVS also.
The best part is you can do stage selections and play hidden players. Select country japanes or US ( japanese mode often has blood and some fatalatys ( like in Samurai Shodown 2 )
Also you can do freeplay and give you a higer amount of lives in shooter games........ well you can do to mutch with it.

Hope this helps.
Mmmm... Bouncy... wink

Sorry if I sound really confused guys. My only exposure to Neo Geo ended about 6 years ago when I foolishly sold my AES. I knew very little about the import market, and I knew nothing about the hardcore SNK following.

So, are the settings from the Debug BIOS persistent? Or, do you have to change the settings every time you power on?

Let's take my favorite game of all time for example. Samurai Shodown II. Are all of the cartridges the same (US, Jap) but they just play differently (no blood, blood) based on which region AES it's in? Or, are there actually differences in the carts, too.

So much to learn... So much fun. :)

Sigmund

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
You need to make the changes every time i think when you power up. Dont know for sure about debug bios. I tested my only a few times and i did change the settings all time, maybe some will be resistent even when you power of the Neo.

SS2 jap or english is always the same cart the soft is the same. But you will not get blood or slice your oppoment into pieces on a US version.
You can enable blood on a US with a code but not the slices.
This means japanese Neo-Geos have all the good things and the US Neos will censore some things.

I was playing SS2 last nite and upon switching the SS2 mode to Japanese on my non-freaked NEO, I did see small slices but not large ones seen on SS1 MVS. Also, some characters had squirting red blood but some characters didn't squirt blood.

That's my observation.
I have the Debug BIOS on order from neostore... I shall install it (and do a stereo upgrade soon after I receive the BIOS).