Top loader NGCD only recognises CDs, won´t load a game or play audio tracks.

I´m posting this for adolobe, he can´t start a topic since he is a new member .

Sorry to bother you. But i saw a few post were you had helped a few members with their NeoGeo CD system. I tried to create a Topic but I currently don't have the privilege to do so just yet.

I was hoping you may be able to help me.

I have a top loader NeoGeo CD system that will only see the audio tracks of a game but not actually start the game even if you hit start.

If i start the system up with a NeoGeo CD game not a burned copy but a real retail game inserted before I hit power. The Neogeo boot logo will display then it will load into the CD player and show in this case 23 audio tracks after the Wait For A Moment msg appears. I've tried to hit start but it does nothing. If i go to the play option is will not play any music form the game cd or from a regular audio cd. Ive tried adjusting the laser but that has done nothing either moving 1/16 of a turn each time and testing twice before moving it again. Same results till it no longer reads the cd and I have to turn it back.

Nothing I can think of has helped. The laser will ready the tracks and show how many but it wont play the music and it wont start the game.

Do you have any suggestions.

Thank you and again sorry to bother you.

I dunno, if the ngcd lens is dying the system would end up in an error screen, maybe it´s a mobo issue?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Could be one of the rare cases where the backup battery is dead and non-functional. You would need to open the console for that though.

adolobe

n00b
Thanks for posting this here for me. I really apprectiate it.

So maybe the back up battery. Is the back up battery a standard flat battery I can purchase at a local store? Ive no taken he shielding off the mobo so i dunno what it looks like just yet

adolobe

n00b
I picked up a battery from Radio Shack and solder it in and confirmed it works. Set up everything in the setting like Name and what no turned it off unpluged the sytem for a few min and started it back up and went to memmory name was still there. So the new battery is good.

How ever the batter did not fix the problem. It still shows all the track numbers but clicking start does not start the game and it wont play any of the audio files either.

Any suggestions. The motor spins the cd and the laser moves

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Can you try an audio CD? If that doesn't work then it's probably the laser.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
From what I remember it's the same type as the MV1C but different tabs. It is rechargeable.

adolobe

n00b
Same with an audio cd. It will show the number of tracks but when you go to play a song the cd will spin for about 30 seconds and then stop. No music will play

crujones4life

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Same with an audio cd. It will show the number of tracks but when you go to play a song the cd will spin for about 30 seconds and then stop. No music will play

What you are describing is EXACTLY what was wrong with mine, you should try to do what I explained in the link above.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You actually don't need to superglue anything on there. The pushrod gets stuck over time from the grime, all you need to do is push it down with a screwdriver or similar tool to loosen the grip. After it loosens I usually take off the C clip and remove the pushrod completely so I can clean out the hole for it.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Xian Xi, perhaps you can enlighten us more on CD drive maintenance. Do you think anything should be done to maintain CD consoles as they age?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Only things you really need to do is keep the lens clean and every 5 years or so lube the tracks on the drive mech if you play heavily.

adolobe

n00b
tried everything from that link with no luck

The cd drive still exhibits the same behavior.

Ive cleaned the lens properly, Ive replaced the back up battery, Ive made sure the cd lever is properly pushed down. I'v even checked to make sure all the cables have good contact

Still it will only show the tracks for the game or audio cd's but wont actually play anything.

Ive ordered new flex cables as well as a new Sharp laser to see if one of those will fix the problem.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Only things you really need to do is keep the lens clean and every 5 years or so lube the tracks on the drive mech if you play heavily.
The lube is what I haven't been doing, and I think it should be done if I want my consoles to be working down the line. What should I use for lube on a CD drive? What if a console sits in storage without being played many years? Can't the inside of the drive still get dirty over time, and the lube slowly dry out?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It all depends on how it's stored and what conditions it's stored in. If you store it in it's box someplace where it's cool then it should be fine with no maintenance but if stored open and in a hot place then you're asking for it.