My Neo is incompatible with my TV (HELP)

xorthen

Banned
I have this smaller Orion TV which the Neo works fine on, but I want it to work on my Plasma TV.

Could anybody link me to a possible converter box or something that would allow me to play my old consoles on my Plasma without much flickering?

SSS

neo retired
If you've got a PC VGA input on the back, you can use one of those RGB to VGA encoders that jammaboards.com sells.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Best option for old consoles on plasma and LCD tvs aree to use an XRGB system. It converts and upscans the signal.

incrediblehark

New Challenger
you can also try an rgb -> YUV (component) converter. they're cheaper and easier to get than an xrgb and work well from my experience, but any type of upscaler/converter/transcoder really depends on your tv too. I tried everything including xrgb and still decided to go with a crt rgb monitor.

xorthen

Banned
Thanks for the replies. Can somebody post a URL to said devices? I looked around for the XRGB, but couldn't find it.

Last edited:

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
those XRGB units look like a pretty cool piece of equipment.

Sorry to divert the topic a bit but I just had a few questions about them,

these are about the cheap XRGB-1, I see the more expensive XRGB-3 has all sorts of connectors.

I see it has SCART, I'm in the US, so nothing has SCART, can one easily go from Component -> SCART? Say if I built a CMVS with a Neobitz with component output, could I feed that into an XRGB?

What outputs does it have? I see what looks like 2 db-15 plugs on the back, does it do Component, DVI? VGA?

xorthen

Banned
I just bought one of those RBG to VGA converters that Yaton sells. I think they're the exact same ones at jammaboards.com. It works fucking amazing on my PDP TV. Thanks for the help guys . Now I just need to save up for the real deal and get myself an XRGB.

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
If you have an old VCR you can hook that up to your plasma. Then use the line in on the VCR for the NeoGeo. This works for me with an older JVC vcr. Picture is sharp and clear. If anything it could be a temp hold over until you get a good converter like the XRGB

RGB32e

n00b
those XRGB units look like a pretty cool piece of equipment.

Sorry to divert the topic a bit but I just had a few questions about them,

these are about the cheap XRGB-1, I see the more expensive XRGB-3 has all sorts of connectors.

I see it has SCART, I'm in the US, so nothing has SCART, can one easily go from Component -> SCART? Say if I built a CMVS with a Neobitz with component output, could I feed that into an XRGB?

What outputs does it have? I see what looks like 2 db-15 plugs on the back, does it do Component, DVI? VGA?

You would feed RGBS directly to one of the RGB inputs with 160 ohm resistors in series on the red, green, and blue lines, or use the 220 ohm termination available on the front RGB input.

The XRGB-3 has two 15kHz RGB inputs - a 21 pin input on the front (not a "SCART" pinout), and a HDDB15 connector on the back (i.e. VGA/Analog connector). You do not need to convert RGB to component to use the XRGB-3. I've used my MVS with the XRGB-3 and it works great!

The XRGB-1, XRGB-2, and XRGB-2+ are line doublers only (15kHz to 31.5kHz). The XRGB-3 is a full scaler (in B0 mode) and line doubler (in B1 mode). B1 mode on the XRGB-3 behaves like a XRGB-2+. B0 mode provides pixel resizing to the selected output resolution. I primarily use the XRGB-3 in B0 mode with the output resolution set to 1920x1080.

Even using the best RGB to Component converter (FC-14), many HDTVs cannot handle 240p component signals. Panasonic PDPs flicker, and do all sorts of other things that makes low-res component unusable. My HDTV handles 240p via component correctly, but is on the soft side, so I've moved onto a XRGB-3.

BTW- Amazon Japan still sells the XRGB-3 brand new! The only issue is that Amazon will not ship the unit out of Japan, but a non-resident can still purchase! Hence, you can order these new, have them shipped to someone you know in JP, and have them ship it to you, or pickup during a trip there! :dragf: :A: :mr_t:

nesrgbcv03.png

Last edited: