Wiring supergun for Stereo(neo) and dual mono.

SSS

neo retired
I've seen the 4pDT stereo, mono switch. But that looks like it's for cabs. How would I go about doing this for a supergun?

mdm

Rugal's Thug
I've been trying to ask people about this for a while now. I would LOVE to know this too! Subscribed to this thread.

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
There's another one that uses a 3PDT too!
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181355&highlight=3pDt

Here's the 4PDT thread for the fun of it
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193189&highlight=mono+stereo

It seems the difference is one has the speakers wired in parallel and one in series.

I'd think for a supergun you'd do the same thing, but slap an attenuation circuit in there too, either that or start off w/ the volume on your tv really low.

That's what I'm going to try whenever I build my next one.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
I advise using the headphone connector rather than the jamma connector for stereo sound. It will already be at a suitable level for an amplifier.

SSS

neo retired
I advise using the headphone connector rather than the jamma connector for stereo sound. It will already be at a suitable level for an amplifier.

Yeah, I thought about that. But I plan on using this for a hyper 64 as well, and off the top of my head I can't remember if it has a headphone jack on the board.

DewmanSNK

Formerly NeoGeeO, , Collaborator
10 Year Member
I think I have the mono / stereo switch down to a DPDT switch, I have used the TPDT in the past. I want to thank MKL for the diagram - which I modified because it was easier and much neater.
mvsjammaswitchdpdt.jpg

black dots connected to green dots = MVS Stereo
black dots connected to red dots = JAMMA Mono

Now this wires the speakers in parallel(when switched to mono), which is fine if you have 8ohm speakers - dont use if you have 4 ohm speakers.
I would imagine this would be ok in a supergun - for an attenuation circuit, MKL posted one that was based around a 10K pot. If you use a dual gang 10K pot, you can put it inline between your speaker and have volume control. I have this setup on my cab and it works great. I will probably do the same in my supergun, just adding the caps and resistors that were in the orig diagram.

SSS

neo retired
What if I just plan to use the volume pots on the boards for level control. Any reason to deal with resistors/pots etc.. etc..?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Just use the power supply's ground for speaker negative and the pins off the jamma connector for left and right speaker positive, according to the MVS pinout. You're done. No switch needed. Neo Geo will be stereo, and mono jamma boards will have quasi stereo sound.

Yeah, I thought about that. But I plan on using this for a hyper 64 as well, and off the top of my head I can't remember if it has a headphone jack on the board.
The Rev. 1 has an auxiliary connector for stereo sound. I have RCA jacks wired to mine. The Rev. 2 will output stereo through the jamma connector, and will work great with the supergun wiring described above.

DewmanSNK

10 Year Member
What if I just plan to use the volume pots on the boards for level control. Any reason to deal with resistors/pots etc.. etc..?

This is how I did my 1st supergun, no attenuation circuit, no volume POT - I just used the volume POT on the pcbs and made sure my tv was turned way down

Just use the power supply's ground for speaker negative and the pins off the jamma connector for left and right speaker positive, according to the MVS pinout. You're done. No switch needed. Neo Geo will be stereo, and mono jamma boards will have quasi stereo sound.

I have tried using the power supply ground and I get no sound when playing CPS2 games. I need the speakers negative connected to JAMMA L to get sound.

SSS

neo retired
I think I have the mono / stereo switch down to a DPDT switch, I have used the TPDT in the past. I want to thank MKL for the diagram - which I modified because it was easier and much neater.
mvsjammaswitchdpdt.jpg

black dots connected to green dots = MVS Stereo
black dots connected to red dots = JAMMA Mono

Now this wires the speakers in parallel(when switched to mono), which is fine if you have 8ohm speakers - dont use if you have 4 ohm speakers.
I would imagine this would be ok in a supergun - for an attenuation circuit, MKL posted one that was based around a 10K pot. If you use a dual gang 10K pot, you can put it inline between your speaker and have volume control. I have this setup on my cab and it works great. I will probably do the same in my supergun, just adding the caps and resistors that were in the orig diagram.

Thanks! That looks like it would work great.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
I like that switch schematic. Keep in mind that if you forget to flick the switch you could do damage, which is why I prefer to use the headphone connector. You'll want a way to plug in audio harnesses for other systems anyway.

SSS

neo retired
I like that switch schematic. Keep in mind that if you forget to flick the switch you could do damage, which is why I prefer to use the headphone connector. You'll want a way to plug in audio harnesses for other systems anyway.

Damage to Jamma games if left in the MVS arrangement, correct? I plan to use a DPDT switch with an off position in the middle to lessen the chance of a mistake. The hyper doesn't have a headphone jack on board, and I'm not about to start modifying my PCBs.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I have tried using the power supply ground and I get no sound when playing CPS2 games. I need the speakers negative connected to JAMMA L to get sound.
I have a lot of boards and have yet to encounter the issue. Thanks for the report though.

SSS

neo retired
I'd also rather not have a cable, running from the flimsy headphone jack on a 6 slot accross the floor for someone to trip on. If they did, that connector would be obliterated right off the board. I'm going to go with the DPDT switch.

SSS

neo retired
Ran into a problem with that switch. It works fine on my surround sound receiver (non grounded). MVS works fine all the time. However running dual mono and using L as the ground causes a problem. Most tv's with a 3 prong plug seem to ground the outer shell of the RCA jacks which causes it to loop back and short with L.

Forget the switch for a minute, how could you wire it so you could use L and not connect with ground as well? CPS2 games need the negative and do not work through regular ground. (through the jamma harness of course, the stereo jacks obviously would bypass this normally)?

damn it...

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Wish I had a CPS2 to try it myself. I can't believe it wouldn't work right on my gun.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Ran into a problem with that switch. It works fine on my surround sound receiver (non grounded). MVS works fine all the time. However running dual mono and using L as the ground causes a problem. Most tv's with a 3 prong plug seem to ground the outer shell of the RCA jacks which causes it to loop back and short with L.

Of course. That's a cab switch. In a supergun setup speaker- must not be used, let alone connected to ground. Use this switch:

or install a third jack and move the L phono cable from L (MVS stereo) to R2 (jamma dual mono):

Forget the switch for a minute, how could you wire it so you could use L and not connect with ground as well? CPS2 games need the negative and do not work through regular ground. (through the jamma harness of course, the stereo jacks obviously would bypass this normally)?

What?? That's 100% false. CPS2 isn't different from any other jamma board, i.e. you just use sp+ and gnd in a supergun setup.

SSS

neo retired
Of course. That's a cab switch. In a supergun setup speaker- must not be used, let alone connected to ground. Use this switch:

or install a third jack and move the L phono cable from L (MVS stereo) to R2 (jamma dual mono):

What?? That's 100% false. CPS2 isn't different from any other jamma board, i.e. you just use sp+ and gnd in a supergun setup.

Down to a SPDT........ awesome.

I'm sure you're right about the cps2 as well. Thanks a bunch man. I'll rewire this bad boy tomorrow.

SSS

neo retired
Well, MKL is right as usual. CPS2 DOES NOT need - hooked up for sound to work. I just confirmed this after wiring in a new switch. I can't believe how amazingly simple this was.

DewmanSNK

10 Year Member
Ya I found my cab was not grounded, it had a 3 prong plug on it, but it did not have anything hooked to the grounding pin. I was able to read ~45vAC from my metal coin enclosure to a ground on my wall outlet.

I have since fixed that grounding issue.
That probably explains why I could not get sound from my CPS2 using JAMMA 10 and ground.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I knew it. This whole fuss can be avoided just by wiring it the way I have mine. Never an issue with it.

SSS

neo retired
I knew it. This whole fuss can be avoided just by wiring it the way I have mine. Never an issue with it.

Well no, if you've only got 2 RCA jacks wired for Neo Stereo, only R would output sound for mono. You would need a Y splitter off the red for dual mono. Then again, I'm only guessing based off your previous post.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Well no, if you've only got 2 RCA jacks wired for Neo Stereo, only R would output sound for mono. You would need a Y splitter off the red for dual mono. Then again, I'm only guessing based off your previous post.
Nope, both sides output mono. Having one jack wired for speaker - and the other speaker + off the jamma edge as your positive lead, and then common ground for the negative seems to do the trick. I know from reading this board over the years that I'm not the only one who does this.