Electrical problems with 6-slot

black_7

Fio's Quartermaster
I have a problem. I have a 6-slot big red that resets when I turn it on. I've had it for almost a year and haven't had an issue like this until recently. I turn it on and maybe 15 seconds into it will reset. The leds and marquee lights turn off too. The longer I leave it on the less time in between resets.

It seems like an electrical problem to me. The way I've had it plugged up is through a surge protector and it was working just fine. But for a hot minute because of outlet distance problems I had to use a third cord that was small and needed a three-prong adapter, that's when the problem started. But since I switched back to just the surge protector the problem persists.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
I have no idea what you mean by a 3 prong adapter but it sounds like you might have a circuit breaker which is getting tripped for some reason. (Assuming your marquee lights run off the mains).

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I think he means a grounded plug to 2-prong adapter. Maybe the power supply is just finished. At least that would be a simple fix.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Just search for an arcade power supply on ebay or use one of the trusted suppliers. Not a big deal.

NeoTeam546

Cheng's Errand Boy
20 Year Member
Try not to use power strips with such equipment as they do not allow always for large current draws.

i.e Using a power strip with a Air conditioner window unit would
A. Trip the breaker
B. Blow the power strip Fuse.
C. Shut on and off equipment because of elecrical current draw not being freely available for the power needed by it.

IF YOU MUST use an industrial strength extension cable, such as the Orange cables they use on construction sites.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
I prefer the big, thick grey extension cables they make for refrigerators and freezers. They are made for constant use.

black_7

Fio's Quartermaster
For the record. The problem wa actually with the motherboard. I recently fiddled with it to see if I can see what was going on before I went out and bought more parts. When it was resetting, I noticed the coin slot lights weren't turning on and off. The reason the marquee lights and leds were blinking was because they are connected directly to the motherboard.

I put a one slot in there (thru a neo to jamma adapter) and have been playing fine. Does anyone have any experience with old motherboards that reset by themselves for no reason?

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
I do a lot of Neo board repairs...

But, keep in mind that a 6 slot board will draw MUCH more current than a dinky 1 slot. I still think you have a power supply problem.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

But, keep in mind that a 6 slot board will draw MUCH more current than a dinky 1 slot. I still think you have a power supply problem.

Same here. There is a huge difference between a ~1A and ~8A draw.

Just get a new PSU. It's dying anyway.

SSS

neo retired
what kind of psu do you have? my 6 slot had one of the cheapo switching PSU's with the screw in terminals. versus the huge box one with the molex connectors and fan built in.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Try not to use power strips with such equipment as they do not allow always for large current draws.

i.e Using a power strip with a Air conditioner window unit would
A. Trip the breaker
B. Blow the power strip Fuse.
C. Shut on and off equipment because of elecrical current draw not being freely available for the power needed by it.

IF YOU MUST use an industrial strength extension cable, such as the Orange cables they use on construction sites.

I use power strips on all my cabs. I find that some tend to use some juice even when powered off. And I can't always get to the rear shut offs.

Most cabs run 1-2 amps. And most strips will hold 6-8 amps.

So you could put 3-4 cabs on a stip... But I would never use a strip for an AC or Electric Heater.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member

Definitely true. I had to turn the power supply up quite a bit to run the 6-slot I used to have. Inserting another game board to test the electrical will not be an accurate assumption of the problem. See if you can adjust the PSU to a higher rate (most of them have a knob to adjust the 5A: the 6-slots should be at least 5.2).

black_7

Fio's Quartermaster

But, out of curiosity, why wouldn't the coin slots turn off too? The only things that are shutting off and on are the leds and marquee lights. The monitor is stays on but has a resetting screen.

Last edited:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Coin slot lights are bulbs, not solid state devices like LEDs. You won't see power glitches unless the power shuts down long enough for the bulb filament to cool down - around 1/2 second which is more than enough time to glitch the EL panels and the logic board.

The monitor has it's own power supply.

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I had the exact same problem with my 4 slot when I first got it. I was using one of the small generic arcade PSUs and the 4 slot was drawing so much current that the voltage under load was dropping well under 5v (was over 5v with no load). I turned up the voltage on the power supply until it was reading at 5v powering the 4 slot with 4 games while powered on and it quit resetting.

Cheers,
-DT

black_7

Fio's Quartermaster
I had the exact same problem with my 4 slot when I first got it. I was using one of the small generic arcade PSUs and the 4 slot was drawing so much current that the voltage under load was dropping well under 5v (was over 5v with no load). I turned up the voltage on the power supply until it was reading at 5v powering the 4 slot with 4 games while powered on and it quit resetting.

Cheers,
-DT

Wonderful. Thanks, I'll try it.